NEED HELP Stops when turning!

Mjmcfarl3

Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Florids
I have this problem with my Rainier where it will just about completely stop while turning sharp, like I to parking spot. Not shutting off, but something wrong with steering.
Plz help!!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Is this AWD? Do you have the selector in A4wd? Sounds like your front axle is binding to me.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Is this AWD? Do you have the selector in A4wd? Sounds like your front axle is binding to me.
Rainiers did not have 4WD.

Have you checked your fluids for the front differential and transfer case? I would check and change the fluids to start. The transfer case fluids are suppose to be changed every 50K miles.

Reactions: mntegra01

Mjmcfarl3

Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Florids
Its not stalling, a hard clunk then it stops.
I'm in process of changing upper ball joints, but as a new backyard mechanic, it's tougher than it looks, and can only do things when I get some other help. Thinking about changing diff and transfer case fluid.

This is an AWD Rainier

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Is it possible that the brakes are binding when backing up?
Where does the "clunk" sound come from? Can you have someone else put it in reverse while you're on the ground next to it, trying to isolate it?

I highly doubt that changing the diff/transfer case fluid will solve your issue, but I guess it's worth a try...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Rainiers did not have 4WD.

Have you checked your fluids for the front differential and transfer case? I would check and change the fluids to start. The transfer case fluids are suppose to be changed every 50K miles.
Didn't think so but just wanted to be sure.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Its not stalling, a hard clunk then it stops.
I'm in process of changing upper ball joints, but as a new backyard mechanic, it's tougher than it looks, and can only do things when I get some other help. Thinking about changing diff and transfer case fluid.

This is an AWD Rainier

The AWD is Electronic (like the Bravada). The most common cause of this is the Transfer Case (Encoder Motor) not disengaging front axle when not needed.
Very common for the Encoder to corrode and stick in the "Engaged" position. Removing it allows the TC to release the front.

Best way to test this is to Unplug Electrical AND Remove Encoder Motor from Transfer case. there is a seal on the shaft so no oil will leak.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The front diff is binding up.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Right now you have binding and that in turn is causing it to clunk at you. If your fluids are low there is potential to cause this issue. Depending on the time that you have had it and the mileage since last service you have crap that could cause the issue and you need to see what is in the fluids. The encoder motor is a very high suspect since on the AWD it is constantly making changes to how the power is transferred.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Have you tried or looked at anything that we have suggested? Have you tried searching to look at things that have been suggested? I am not trying to be rude or mean but you keep coming back with questions or comments like we have no idea what you are talking about.

Take a look at this link and don't take it the wrong way, http://bfy.tw/Iav3 Here is another link that may help you as well, http://bfy.tw/IavJ

Mjmcfarl3

Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Florids
I haven't had a chance to look yet. I am not a mechanic, but learning on the fly.
Djthumper thanks for the links I looked at them and I think I could def get to encoder motor. Hopefully that is my problem, and not some other $500+ part or fix

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online