Stolen Picture

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
i was searching e-bay for TB parts and came across this ad by autopartsgallery. that is my TB in the the ad. it looked familiar, so i enlarged the pic and sure enough it's my TB. can tell by the blueish turn signal lamps and the I-Pass and stuff hanging from the mirror. ROTTEN BASTARDS.
the pic was posted on the other site, not to be mentioned, after i did that mod. oct/2010. so i contacted them thru e-bay.
are you in the habit of stealing peoples pictures?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-09-Chevy-Trailblazer-LT-Billet-Grille-Grill-Bumper-Insert-Fedar-/131466308393?fits=Make%3AChevrolet|Model%3ATrailblazer&hash=item1e9c00ab29:g:m2YAAOSw8d9Uv0Fs&vxp=mtr
that is my vehicle in the ad, which you do not have permission to use. please remove.
thank you.

not sure if they will do anything, since my name was not on the pic. thought i would post just in case i can go after them.
ad pic:stolen pic.jpg

my pic:
grill and hood mod 001.jpg

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
This gives me flashbacks from the same thing that happened to Drew (May03LT), only his picture was stolen out of a video. He had a hard time with it but eventually scared the company enough to make them get another picture. If it were me, I'd be phoning the company up and dropping the words "lawyer", "copyright" and "plagiarism" a few times. I wouldn't let it go easily since they are making money off your truck. Hope you get it settled. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Thats the best form of flattery. I see why companies steal pics though. It is nice to see the product you are buying installed on a vehicle that you are buying it for.

Now that you have posted that pic, I have seen it many times before. You are even on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6O0O8Y/?tag=gmtnation-20

I am not condoning the action or saying it is right, but I understand why they would do it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is pretty easy because how many people really have white color matched LT headlights? And then combine it with the grille, and silver bowtie, and all the rest, well...

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Find a fresh lawyer to look at it. If it is worth a dime, they'll pursue it or at the least let you know what may happen. Edit: if they are overseas then you are probably out of luck besides bragging rights.

Reactions: fletch09

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
It is my understanding that if they edit the photo, and it does not have you in it or any personal information it is legal top use any publicly posted photos.

You put it out there bro? There's no copy rights on the photo so it is free game.

It is a good photo :wink:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This phenomena is a new artifact and is the direct result of the recent acquisition by Google of an AI technology company called "Deep Mind"... (one of over180+ AI, Robotics and Military Drone companies bought out by Google since 2012). Their use of a new and revolutionary Image Search and Recognition Machine Learning Algorithm now allows companies and individuals to pinpoint PRECISELY what they want to find in the way of specific imagery as was not even possible six months ago. THIS is exactly how they found your image!

To give you an idea of just how powerful this thing is... When Google first turned it loose to work its magic against the enormous store of Google's "Big Data" using its own powerful Server Cluster Farm... it began to return images it created on its own of the composite images it found the most of during its initial search. What it came up with was a very spooky image of A CAT... The next most prevalent image it produced was an equally spooky image of THE FACE OF A MAN.

But then this is where it started to get REALLY scary... because to date... this AI Algorithm has been following what they call an "UNSUPERVISED, SELF-IMPROVING LEARNING PATH" . This new, self-improving AI algorithm came back with an analysis that Google did NOT ask or train it to do... in the form of making a re-diagnosis of around 80,000 MRI images it examined on its own after which, Google discovered it described the presence of approximately 30% more incidents of Cancer that had gone undiscovered when those MRI images were viewed and evaluated by your garden variety Human Doctors and Radiation Technical Staffs trained to do this very job. Almost overnight... the Deep Mind AI Algorithm made Standard Radiology Analysis formerly the exclusive domain of highly educated, highly trained human beings...obsolete!

Now that the "Deep Mind" people and almost hundreds of similar companies have been bought by Google... their work is part of the search engine churning away constantly in the background...and you can test it yourself... just remember that it searches only images... and NOT words or other textual search strings... So you can test it to see how well it works yourself on say ....ask it to find any image involving "suv grill guards"... and watch how fast it functions and returns just such images!

Since 2011... I have been writing extensively on the subject of Robotics, and most recently due to the enormous leaps in AI capabilities... The Existential Threat of Artificial Intelligence in the latest posts and covering other related topics. if you would like more information on these subjects...please look in on this link:

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/47831-Human-Skin-as-an-Input-Device

Last edited:

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
It is my understanding that if they edit the photo, and it does not have you in it or any personal information it is legal top use any publicly posted photos.

You put it out there bro? There's no copy rights on the photo so it is free game.

It is a good photo :wink:

that's pretty much what i figured, since i did not have my name or copy right on it.
thought i would post it up for future information for others.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011

Actually that's not true. The moment you press the shutter button you own the copyright to that photo unless you explicitly sign that right away. If the photo is used in any form for commercial purposes without your permission then your photo has been infringed. Doesn't matter if there is no people or anything personal in the image. If you have registered the copyright with the US copyright office then you may also be entitled to damages. Without the registration the best you can hope for is for them to take it down without to much argument.

Keep in mind that even if you embed the copyright in metadata or imprint the photo with it, it easy to strip the metadata or clone out the imprint. So many images end up this way and people just think they are free without realizing that they have been stripped of identification. Look up what "orphan works" are, that helps explain what's going on.

All that said, if the photo is altered in such a way that it's different from the original and used for artistic purposes, then that is considered a derivative work and is legal to do. Keep in mind that there is a legally recognized difference between artistic use and commercial use. The TB photo in an ad is clearly commercial use.

Reactions: mrrsm and fletch09

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I saw a CL post for a pair of Polk SDA speakers not too long ago and sure enough, it was a pic of mine that was posted on another forum. They never returned my emails....:undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Dunno if any of you remember my situation, when I got my first set of switchbacks, I made a video and posted it on here. Sometime later when DFWWIZ was just starting up his business and none of us really knew him, he used that video on his website to advertise. Awkward? :uhno: :argue:

Reactions: Sib and fletch09

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Fletch... What the Doctor said makes for a very interesting case that the likes of Morgan & Morgan Attorneys at Law based over in the Tampa Bay area would love to get their hands on. The site listed below has all the data worth knowing and they have offices all over the State of Florida. What the Hell... Just like Drew... you also deserve a fair resolution to the question.

It seems fortuitous that your general location is in Central Florida. This gives you a leg up on this problem through a contact with a very successful Big League Law Firm like Morgan & Morgan. They have offices all over Florida and would probably be very interested in hearing about your predicament. One phone call to them might ease your mind on what is possible to accomplish. Your digital image is actually a mouth-watering example of what many GMT 360 Owners would like to achieve with improving their own rides. Nobody but you has the right to lay claim to it!

http://www.forthepeople.com/tampa/

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have seen mine on some sale ads for lifts n such. I only contact them if it is a product i never had or in some cases, just did not want to support.

Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
It seems fortuitous that your general location is in Central Florida.

i am in IL. just west of Chicago. my cousin is a lawyer, i am going to contact him and see if he thinks i have a case, or have him point me in the right direction if he thinks i should move forward.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online