NEED HELP Still have clicking sound after front axle change

LTZSMITTY

Original poster
Feb 19, 2017
After my installing the 2.5 lift level kit from McMark I had clicking issues in the CV axles, mainly the driver side for some reason. So I followed everyone's advice here and bought new ones with neoprene boots and packed with grease. Yeah I'd say pack em with or without a lift, ridiculously very little grease is inside from factory. Anyway, did it 2 days ago and last night while taking a normal right turn the driver side started clicking again! So pissed. What else can I do? What else could it be? Wheel bearing again? Passenger side never has made a sound since I did the lift last year. New axles and wheel bearings when I lifted it and had to replace the drivers wheel bearing once after about six months. Love it lifted but not worth it if I have to keep throwing $$$ at it every 6 months...hell, this didn't last me 2 days this time. Frustrating and looking for answers. Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What bearings did you use?

It might not be bearings or CV. It might be the little metal clips that the brake pads ride on hitting little rust "nubs" that stick out of the edge of the rotor. I had that occur every so often. The clearance between the rotor and those clips is very minimal and it doesn't take much. I simply would take the wheel off and use a wire brush on that edge of the rotor to knock off any rust scale and that would fix it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Are you sure it is CV? I got 90K lifted miles and 180+K total and only had one CV die that was not from trail trauma.

LTZSMITTY

Original poster
Feb 19, 2017
Did brakes too with new hardware. You still may be on to something because a couple of them were bent out of whack (just a little) and I had to bend them back. I will look but I'm skeptical only because the noise is so reminiscent of a CV. Can't remember wheel bearings but I know they weren't the cheapies. Also like to add that I'm not getting any of the usual signs of a bad wheel bearing, just the clicking at a certain point in a right hand turn.

Are you sure it is CV? I got 90K lifted miles and 180+K total and only had one CV die that was not from trail trauma.
Sure sounds like the dreaded CV click.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did you double check the CV is fully seated in the diff?

LTZSMITTY

Original poster
Feb 19, 2017
I haven't got under the thing to recheck everything so I plan on it today. I know it was in all the way when I installed it. The driver side was B to remove so I'm thinking it hasn't came out of diff, that's if I got it locked in. Also had to replace front axle disconnect on pass side during the lift and that side has given me zero trouble.

Only thing I didn't do because I just got to busy at work and kind of spaced it was an alignment. I know, I know (cringe) should've done it. After a year it does show premature wear on the outer edge, mainly front tight turns, on front tires but not really that bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86