Stiff rear end

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Hey guys so i recently got my truck lifted and we did the z71 tahoe coils with bilstein 5100s on the rear, it rides good on road but when i come off curbs or hit big potholes the rear end feels rock hard other than that it drives nice. 🤔i noticed that when i loaded the rear end full of stuff the ride was definitely a bit better so im thinkin the rear spring is either too stiff or the shock is bottoming or topping out. Ive also read that some ppl get new bump stops after lifting, maybe its that? What do you guys think?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
A real answer is...you are topping out the shock. The stock length 5100 or any replacement is going to do so. It is why most lifting go with the longer length Tahoe shocks.

Bump stops have nothing to do with your issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 02trailblazerLS

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
The real answer is...you are topping out the shock. The stock length 5100 or any replacement is going to do so. It is why most lifting go with the longer length Tahoe shocks.

Bump stops have nothing to do with your issue.
Thanks man. I was worried it might be the shocks. The 5100s say there only about an inch longer, which im sure isnt enough, as my rear has two of inches of lift plus the body lift. So this is pretty crappy, i wish the mechanic that did my truck knew better. 😫

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Shocks are pretty easy to swap over, its just 2 bolts, and if your dont mind laying on the ground, the vehicle doesnt even have to be lifted up, or tires taken off, unless you are also running oversized tires. Shocks are pretty cheap too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
body lift does not affect shock needs.

I did not realize the 5100s say they are longer than stock. That is at least some help.

Do you have z71 and spacer for lift or only the z71?

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Shocks are pretty easy to swap over, its just 2 bolts, and if your dont mind laying on the ground, the vehicle doesnt even have to be lifted up, or tires taken off, unless you are also running oversized tires. Shocks are pretty cheap too.
I am running 33s, i could swap them myself it sounds easy but i think the 33s would make it kinda difficult?

I
body lift does not affect shock needs.

I did not realize the 5100s say they are longer than stock. That is at least some help.

Do you have z71 and spacer for lift or only the z71?
I have just the z71 tahoe springs. Plus the body lift, no spacer lift

I called my mechanic up and he told me the bilstein 5100s he got that he put in were supposed to be made for a tahoe so they shouldve been 2-3 inches longer. He then mentioned how the part number could be wrong and that bilstein sent the wrong shocks. He said hes been having issues with bilsteins shipping recently, said he got shocks for his truck from them and on arrival he found the shocks were completely wrong. Im bringin it in to him next week to verify and get this all dealt with.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ask him for part number he installed, or thinks he installed.

You should not be topping out if they are the longer ones.

33s make it easier to swap shocks as the tires are not in the way and the bigger they are the more room underneath to work in.

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Ask him for part number he installed, or thinks he installed.

You should not be topping out if they are the longer ones.

33s make it easier to swap shocks as the tires are not in the way and the bigger they are the more room underneath to work in.
Okay ill ask, i have the part number of the ones installed, so if the number he gives doesnt match then we will know. 👍 thanks

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What you got? Is it the Tahoe one?

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Okay so turns out the shocks bilstein sent the mechanic were wrong, there trailblazer shocks not tahoe shocks. So now im going to replace em. my next question is, whats the best rear shock i could get?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The Tahoe length 5100.
I tried bds, skyjacker, rough country in the longer length n the Bilstein are much nicer.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
These

Attachments

• FD7C1B49-5328-48BE-97C7-BF5DAF6AC63D.png
    FD7C1B49-5328-48BE-97C7-BF5DAF6AC63D.png
    598.3 KB · Views: 13

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members