Stereo overhaul

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
It is official, I am done with the stock crap!

Background... I have an aftermarket Pioneer DVD in dash wired with a (i think) GMOS-04 into stock with bose and on star.

symptoms... drivers dash speaker cutting in and out, no rear speakers, continuous battery drain that I am 75% sure is due to faulty adapter

Solution... I plan on overhauling my entire system. I am not afraid to run wire, and will look to run new speaker wire to all four doors, running into new Pioneer 3 way 6.5" speakers.

My question, I am pretty certain I have to replace my GMOS harness. Considering I am going to completely bypass the Bose system, do I need to still use the 04 harness, or is there something else out there that will work out better for me?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
I agree with short bus if you are going to bypass the bose system alltogether then just cut and splice. That way you know that the connection is solid.

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I think it is a little more difficult on our trucks then just cutting and splicing into the factory harness. For instance there is no accessory power wire in the factory plugs, I would also lose the feedback chimes (not really a huge issue).

How about it stereo smart people, what would you do?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
I was looking at the wiring diagram and for the accessory wire you could tap into the orange wire in the ignition switch harness.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
In general, tapping in rather than using an adapter that listens to the data bus will cost you the RAP function.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Look up the GMOS-01 Matt... that is for nonBOSE and that's what I have in my truck, and it retains chimes, RAP's, and OnStar... it should have come down in price by now compred to when I paid $90 for it 3 yrs ago..

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
I think it is a little more difficult on our trucks then just cutting and splicing into the factory harness. For instance there is no accessory power wire in the factory plugs, I would also lose the feedback chimes (not really a huge issue).

I got my power from the 4X4 selector switch.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Regulator said:
Solution... I plan on overhauling my entire system. I am not afraid to run wire, and will look to run new speaker wire to all four doors, running into new Pioneer 3 way 6.5" speakers.

If you bypass the bose amp (6 channels) and run the doors off the deck (4 channels) the dash speakers won't work. Getting all 6 to work is doable but a little more involved. Not sure if this is a big deal for what you want but figured I'd throw it out there.

Regulator said:

Like everyone said, no chimes and no rap if you ditch the adapter. You can always grab brown (ACC/RUN) or pink (RUN) under the column for the switched lead to the radio.

Regulator

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:
If you bypass the bose amp (6 channels) and run the doors off the deck (4 channels) the dash speakers won't work. Getting all 6 to work is doable but a little more involved. Not sure if this is a big deal for what you want but figured I'd throw it out there.
Can I hook front dash speakers and front door speakers together into the front outputs and the rear door into the rear output?

MAY03LT said:
Like everyone said, no chimes and no rap if you ditch the adapter. You can always grab brown (ACC/RUN) or pink (RUN) under the column for the switched lead to the radio.

Should I have run a switched power wire when installing with the GMOS-04?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Regulator said:
Can I hook front dash speakers and front door speakers together into the front outputs and the rear door into the rear output?
in a friend's car i hooked up the bose door and dash speakers in series to an after market head unit expecting it to sound horrible. didn't sound as bad as i expected. no crossovers no nothing

i put them in series because the woofers are low impedance. you don't want to hook them up to the hu in parallel or directly for that matter, the amp circuit won't like it

ideally you'd want to gut that and get an aftermarket component set or at least a decent set of coax speakers

Regulator said:
Should I have run a switched power wire when installing with the GMOS-04?
if it is supplying a RAP/ACC signal there would be no reason for you to do so

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.