Stepper Motor/Cluster Lights

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have about 4 cluster lights that are burned out, which doesn't really bother me. But my stepper motor for my RPM gauge seems to be failing, since it will only project about half of what my actual RPMs are at. I've read over how to replace the stepper motor, and I think its beyond what I feel comfortable with. I know a whole new cluster is rather pricey, but if I did get a new one, can anyone confirm that the newer clusters have better stepper motors in them?

Also if I got a whole new cluster, I would just replace the bulbs with LEDs so I wouldn't have to worry about them going out again. Anyone care to way in on what they would do... trying to budget this as much as possible.

dcbenvoy

Jan 28, 2012
I just did my stepper motors last week. it was a process but it wasn't overly difficult. The dash lights looked more complicated than i expected. But I didn't need to replace them.

We all have our limits, if you feel you are not up to the task then you may want to just have the whole thing replaced.

Can you hear them clicking? My wife says she could hear them clcking and after replacing them she says the clicking is gone.

I should hope a new cluster would have the newer steppers. I guess you would have to ask but who knows if the guy at the dealership would actually know.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Absolutely no reason to buy a new cluster from the dealer. There are Ebay vendors who will solder in six replacement steppers for 1/4 the price of a new unit. And fix the lights while they're in there. You can drive around without a gauge cluster for as long as the vendor takes.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweet, I'll look into that. Yes it does click/tick, and its gotten progressively louder.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Absolutely no reason to buy a new cluster from the dealer. There are Ebay vendors who will solder in six replacement steppers for 1/4 the price of a new unit......

There's a couple of places here on craigslist that sell rebuilt ones for $100-$125. Might have something similar in Pittsburgh.

2000-2012 Speedometer repair
GM Speedometer Repair

Also, this place will rebuild yours for $69-$99 depending on how extensive a rebuild you want.

https://www.myairbags.com/gmclusters.php

I haven't had the need for their services but it could be another option.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Absolutely no reason to buy a new cluster from the dealer. There are Ebay vendors who will solder in six replacement steppers for 1/4 the price of a new unit. And fix the lights while they're in there. You can drive around without a gauge cluster for as long as the vendor takes.

Can you link me? And will they solder in LED lights? Once I fix my cluster, i am doing it right and going to make it last forever now. I have about 4 bulbs burnt out, and my stepper motor needs replaced most.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online