Steering

Charliebrownwds

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Illinois
Hello my 03 chevy trailblazer 4.2 is having an issue with the steering. Whenever i turn it intermittently feels hard and then soft again. Also sometimes it sounds like something grinds for a split second as i turn as well. This is an intermittent problem as it doesnt do it at all turns just once or twice out of 10 turns. Thanks guys i hope you can help me out maybe someone has had the same issue as me.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
First Things First:

(1) Check the Power Steering Fluid Level after the Engine is Warmed Up and if LOW... make certain to use ONLY Power Steering Fluid and NOT Brake or Transmission Fluid for topping off the Reservoir...

(2) With the SUV Parked on a Level Surface... Slip a Large Section of Clean Cardboard under the Engine and Power Steering Piping Hose areas...

(3) Sit in the Vehicle and cycle the Steering Wheel from LOCK to LOCK and LISTEN for any Grinding Noises and see if you can replicate finding the EXACT spots where the Wheel suddenly breaks free and then locks up again.

(4) With the Rear Wheels Chocked and the Emergency Brake Set... Jack Up the SUV and Use the Proper Jack Stands to support the vehicle ...then perform a "Push Test" on the front fender panel to ensure that the Vehicle will NOT fall down on you...

(5) Inspect underneath your Steering Gear and Hardware with a Flash Light ...looking for obviously damaged parts or broken components that jump obviously into view... Broken or bent Tie Rods... Damaged, Rusted Ball Joints or Hidden Accident or Off Road Damage if you are not the Original Owner and never loaned out your vehicle.

(6) Take Pictures of anything unusual.... like a HUGE leak on that cardboard... and after making a Mark that IDs the Front of the SUV on the Cardboard.... post those images back here.

(7) Do the things that Common Sense Dictate: Air up the Tires... Grease ALL of the Ball Joints and Idler Arm and ANYTHING that requires Regular Maintenance... all designed to take pity upon The Power Steering Assembly that is there to make the task of steering easier and safer... but NOT there to obviate the need for Regular, Necessary Care.

(8) Post all of the images relevant to the presence of these problems back here... Keep in mind that is is VERY Rare for Power Steering Pumps to Fail.... so Do Not assume that your problems begin with the Pump going sideways.

Charliebrownwds

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Illinois
I checked the power steering level and it is on the full mark. The steering wheel doesnt feel hard when on park and idling its only when i turn from making a stop on a red light or when slowing down when turning. And its not at all turns either. Power steering pump is brand new since it was making Noise and leaking power steering fluid. And front suspension seems fine there's absolutely no play on the tires when i raise it on jacl stands qnd move it side to side and up and down. Suspension s
Is solid.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When you performed the R&R of the Power Steering Pump...did you ...or anyone else...do any other suspension work (including installing New Tires) or install any after-market elevation kit that would either change or re-arrange the Front Alignment or Vehicle Geometry in any way?

If so... Did you have the Front End Professionally Aligned? What about the performance actions suggested in (7) of the aforesaid list? "The Front End Seems Fine"..." is a very vague observation considering the problem you describe in Post #1.

Charliebrownwds

Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Illinois
The power steering pump was installed 1 year ago brand new and no new tires and no elevation kit. And the suspension was checked by my mechanic as routine service.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Forgive for the apparent X-Examination... I'm still trying to "Separate 'The Baby'... from 'The Bath Water'..." as far as Who did What ...along with identifying any other possible symptoms that can often get overlooked. For example... When driving in a straight line on level pavement... does the steering evince the feeling of "Riding along of the Top of an Egg"...? And do you have to frequently correct the nose of the SUV back on point? What I'm digging at here is hidden causes of alignment problems.

One other observation.... When the vehicle is elevated on Jack Stands to a height of a mere 2" inches or so... the only way to actually confirm that the Wheel Bearing(s) and Upper Ball Joints are solid is by slipping the Beveled end of a Tire Iron underneath the center bottom of the Tire ...and strongly elevate the Wheel to find anything jangling loose.

When such heavy rolling hardware is under free suspension on Jack Stands... the sheer weight of the Wheel(s), Upper and Lower "A" Frames and all the Suspension Parts bolted in place can make it seem like everything is "Tight as Tick on a Hunting Hound Dog" unless they get seriously Man-Handled and moved around.

The last possible thing to check is whether or not the Tie Rod attachment points to the Power Steering Hydraulic Cylinder are nice and stiff. If you pull the Ball Joint out of the Steering Knuckle(s) and you can find any play by holding the Tire Rod and performing a "Push<--->Pull" test and you find any slack--looseness of the Tie Rod ...or it drops straight down when you release it ... because the Ball End is so very loose in the Socket... then you may have nailed down the problem.

These components are considered "Auto Part Consumables" that are expected to wear down over time ...almost on schedule...and provide an extended, expensive repair stream for Dealerships. Fortunately... there are a few excellent, contemporary Threads on "How-To Change out Tie Rods" here at GMTN. This video was created by one of our Members (Kevin Nadeau) @Kevin Nadeau ... and is just about As Good as it Gets in describing these problems... and what to use for the Special Tools needed to complete these repairs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackstar

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine was doing that sort of thing when it got old. Intermittent grindy "stiff" feel (usually on a right turn in my case). Pretty sure my steering rack was to blame as everything else was good.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online