Steering Wheel Re-Wrap?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I've got a leather wrapped wheel and some amount of leather on my shifter. They're alright, they're not falling apart or anything. But they could be better. Brand new wheels on ebay seem to go for $200-$250. Has anyone ever had their leather wheel re-wrapped professionally at a local shop? (and/or the shifter?). If so, how did it come out? And how much did it cost.

I used to want a GMC "blackwood" trimmed wheel so bad. But now when I think about that, I just think about how extra cold my hands will be. Just regular old leather is probably best.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's one of those things where you need a really good shop for it to look right. My guy offered to do it on the vette if I supplied the new leather kit ~30$ and whatever the labor would be (probably about an hour so ~100) Instead he'll be making new vinyl covers for the Sierra and adding in some foam on the drivers seat. The leather was in good shape but at 33 years old it was becoming sticky... I would leave it but that's me. I think chrisfix did it on his Mustang and the results were decent if you want to check that out.

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
Last fall I got my f350 and new leather steering wheel from CARID on line. Not cheap at 450 paid. 150 refund for old wheel returned (core charge). They did a great job. Real close to factory color and factory style is perfect. The factory steering wheel had the black tar like stuff coming thru the sewn edge that would be on your finger tips every time I drove it. That vehicle is still retailing around 20,000. Not sure I would do it on a less valued vehicle like the TB at about 5,000. But, it's your money and a nice steering wheel is nice to see and drive with. 2 guys I know with the fords have same problems and they got wheel covers that just slip over the factory wheel for under 20 bucks. I drove one and it felt fine. I checked 2 shops around here and either would do a steering wheel and either had any ideas of any shops. I thought it would be easy to get a shop to put new leather on, not so much. Seats and repairing them is easy to find a shop.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I've stitched about 6-7 of them on different vehicles over the years and couldn't be happier with the look and quality. Bought them here: http://wheelskins.com/

The pic below is from the one I did in my '06 GTO. Photo isn't that great, but you get the idea.

I also installed/stitched other ones on a '02 trailblazer, '03 envoy, 2013 honda pilot, 09 vette, and a few others that I cannot recall at the moment.

Installing them isn't really that hard. For me, the hardest parts is getting them lined-up properly before you start with the threading. After you start threading, it normally takes about 45 minutes to completely finish.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I might just go ahead and order one for my acadia...

Attachments

• Photo_B354E909-B63B-43E1-3A4F-80EC3A883FD0.jpg
    Photo_B354E909-B63B-43E1-3A4F-80EC3A883FD0.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 23

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Should swap out but unless you already have buttons on your current wheel, they won't work without changing the clockspring in the steering column.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also wonder if a BCM reprogram is also necessary. Someone did a retrofit using buttons on the dash instead of on the steering but used the filler plug for the 4x4 mode switch hole. Can't find it right now. My Google foo is low.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yeah, I plan on getting a whole clockspring and stuff but $$$ :Banghead:

Would also need a DIC cluster as well

Update: Don't think a BCM reprogram is necessary and it was @Blckshdw who did his buttons on the Trailblazer logo place holder, above the rear wiper switch

Last edited:

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
If i might throw in my two cents on this topic. I know it's four months old but I have installed 3 of these wheelskin covers and think I have something to add.
If you are going to get a two tone cover like the red/black one shown, heed my advice and make the top and bottom the black color and the sides the alternate cover IF you have a stock Envoy Steering wheel. The reason is that the thread is black, so when you sew it around the spokes in the wheel, it will be facing the drive and plainly visible to all.
I made a mistake because I wanted to switch things up in my interior, so the second WS cover I bought was light grey on top and bottom. The thread looks bad compared to the first one I had installed which had the block sections on the top and bottom and it looked perfect. You couldn't even tell that it had been covered it looked so great. It lasted 7 years and 150k miles BTW. Also, when you are sewing it, you might feel like you need to be careful about gently pulling the thread too hard so as not to tear the little holes in the leather. I am not sure how they did it, but those holes will not tear. You need to really pull on it hard and keep it taught. The sides of the leather should wrap around 100% of the wheel and touch, if you ordered the correct cover and pull the crap out of the thread as you sew it. These covers are very well made and I definitely recommend them to anyone who needs a SW refresh. You will feel like a new man the first time you drive with it installed.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
If i might throw in my two cents on this topic. I know it's four months old but I have installed 3 of these wheelskin covers and think I have something to add.
If you are going to get a two tone cover like the red/black one shown, heed my advice and make the top and bottom the black color and the sides the alternate cover IF you have a stock Envoy Steering wheel. The reason is that the thread is black, so when you sew it around the spokes in the wheel, it will be facing the drive and plainly visible to all.
I made a mistake because I wanted to switch things up in my interior, so the second WS cover I bought was light grey on top and bottom. The thread looks bad compared to the first one I had installed which had the block sections on the top and bottom and it looked perfect. You couldn't even tell that it had been covered it looked so great. It lasted 7 years and 150k miles BTW. Also, when you are sewing it, you might feel like you need to be careful about gently pulling the thread too hard so as not to tear the little holes in the leather. I am not sure how they did it, but those holes will not tear. You need to really pull on it hard and keep it taught. The sides of the leather should wrap around 100% of the wheel and touch, if you ordered the correct cover and pull the crap out of the thread as you sew it. These covers are very well made and I definitely recommend them to anyone who needs a SW refresh. You will feel like a new man the first time you drive with it installed.

Thanks for your comment do you have any pictures of the wrap you did to the steering wheel, everything is better in pictures :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online