Steering Ratio Improvement

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Regular, short wheelbase Trailblazers have a pretty terrible steering ratio - that is, the amount the wheels turn per single rotation of the steering wheel. Sure, the trucks can turn VERY sharp. But you have to turn the wheel SO much to get there. When I first got this truck, I almost got into an accident turning down a tight street because I wasn't expecting just how fast I had to turn the wheel.

Anyway, moving on. The long wheelbase trucks have a little faster steering ratio, which makes sense since the extra length will slow down the vehicles rotational speed.

And the SS has an even better still steering ratio. I guess they thought with the SS, people might actually want it to drive nice :smile:

I've looked in to it in the past and it looks like a steering rack from an SS will bolt right up into my truck. And that would greatly improve its handing and drive-ability (though the first week might be hairy). But those racks are expensive. And that leads me to my actual question!..

Can you change the steering radio of a steering rack without replacing it? I know what they do but I have no idea what they actually look like or how they are built. Could one be opened up, and the gears changed so the steering speed improves?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Old White Paper is chock full of information on many different GM Vehicles that also include "Exploded Views" of what makes their Steerage Mechanisms "Tick" to the Left ... and "Tock" to the Right. They may not be identical to the ones in Trucks and SUVs, per se ... But how different can they be, really ...as GM Products go? Other than scaling them up with perhaps greater Hydraulic Force due to the weight and mass of the Trucks and SUVs... I doubt that there are very many differences within their Innards. I hope this information will sort of... "steer" you ...in the right direction.

;>)

https://www.gmforum.com/howto/1998SM/steering system power rack and pinion.pdf

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yes and no. Frankly you'd be better off just buying a reman rack. While you can, if you live anywhere in the rust belt good luck getting the thing apart.

You will gain zero handling upgrading the rack. The truck will be twitchy every time you hit a bump too. Also I'm not sure if the resistance is set in the rack or pump but the ss rack feels heavier.

3-4 turns lock to lock is pretty normal for SUVs and trucks. While the sierra has a quicker ratio for example, the turning radius is reduced to the point where you still more or less have to turn the wheel the same amount to have it go around the same corner. That being said, I hardly notice the extra 4 or so feet and extended cab long wheel base takes to make a circle being it is so much larger you kind of just compensate anyway.

Let us know what you're planning on doing. I was gonna swap in an ss rack only because I've gotten used to the vette lol.

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
You will gain zero handling upgrading the rack. The truck will be twitchy every time you hit a bump too. Also I'm not sure if the resistance is set in the rack or pump but the ss rack feels heavier.

He's right about it being twitchy, I drive my b-i-l's tbss every now and then and prefer the swb envoy steering over what ever is in the tbss. Don't get me wrong it would be nice to have when pulling a k/u turn but the twitchyness of it over bumps and potholes in NYC isn't worth it. Maybe if I lived in area where the roads aren't as rough I'd probably consider it again.

D

Deleted member 20902

Have you considered installing an aftermarket steering wheel? Reducing the steering wheel size by 1 or 2 inches would significantly change the feel of the steering.

Reactions: Capote

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Let us know what you're planning on doing. I was gonna swap in an ss rack only because I've gotten used to the vette lol.

I *want* to put an SS rack in there, but it's so expensive, I probably never will. But all my previous vehicles, Camaros, RX8s, even my 2-door ZR2 Blazers turned WAY 'faster' than the TB. I have gotten used to it over the years but this is one thing I just don't like about my truck at all.

Have you considered installing an aftermarket steering wheel? Reducing the steering wheel size by 1 or 2 inches would significantly change the feel of the steering.
That would have no effect on how many times you'd have to turn that smaller steering wheel to turn the actual wheels. Plus I like airbags.

D

Deleted member 20902

That would have no effect on how many times you'd have to turn that smaller steering wheel to turn the actual wheels. Plus I like airbags.

There is an option to retain your SRS, and although you are correct that the steering wheel would not change the amount of rotations, it will in fact make it "turn faster", . . . this would have the same drive-ability effect. SuperSport steering racks are somewhat hard to come by and not cheap, I just mentioned it as an alternative to the rack and feeling the same results. Drifters and road-course guys don't usually change racks, this is the exact reason almost every single one runs aftermarket wheels.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
There is an option to retain your SRS, and although you are correct that the steering wheel would not change the amount of rotations, it will in fact make it "turn faster", . . . this would have the same drive-ability effect. SuperSport steering racks are somewhat hard to come by and not cheap, I just mentioned it as an alternative to the rack and feeling the same results. Drifters and road-course guys don't usually change racks, this is the exact reason almost every single one runs aftermarket wheels.
Even the Detroit Axle 'SS' reman rack is way expensive :faint:.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Idk if I'm just getting used to vette parts and boat parts but 200 for a rack isn't that bad to me....

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
D

Deleted member 20902

Cheapest one I have found is like $368 for reman. Plus core charge.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Forum Statistics

Threads