Steering rack leak

srider72

Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
I noticed I needed power steering fluid a few weeks ago, so I bought some and added it. Then I noticed a few days later i needed it again. No spots in driveway or where i park at work. I finally look under truck and looks like its coming from teh rack and leaking while driving. My question is has any one rebuilt their rack or has everyone just replaced it? I'm thinking rebuild because of cost. 50.00 as opposed to 300.00. If you rebuilt was it difficult?

I did search and only saw people replacing the rack. Just looking for input, thanks in advance.

Scott

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Try searching for Detroit Axle on ebay. I bought a complete rack from them for a reasonable price 160.00.

Jul 24, 2012
There's a thread I think on offroadtb where a guy goes through a rebuild.

I think you get new seals but if the metal is worn that's a different thing, and you may not find those little parts available.

I got a $300 rack from Napa with a $100 core rebate.

I'll hopefully get that on one day soon.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I used a Detroit rebuilt unit as well. Ended up needing two different ones, as the first one kept blowing the return line seal I discovered after pulling it and replacing it (Detroit gave me GREAT customer service and shipped out another unit no charge!) that the restrictor poppet was missing from the port. Might be good to check your replacement with the stocker just to make sure that little poppet is in place -- if the holes where the lines go are both bare holes then it is missing, and it will be evident if it is in there.

I also updated the high pressure line to the new style seal as the old seals are rather difficult to source and horribly expensive. I left the return line alone. Still running after a BRUTAL winter that actually saw the return line pop off the fitting near the cooler just from the cold PS fluid too thick to make it through the system. Didn't hurt the rack, and I'm thankful.

Oh, and after putting in in and out about 6 times from the issues with the seal leaking, I can now do the swap in under an hour with air tools. :no: :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
glfredrick said:
Oh, and after putting in in and out about 6 times from the issues with the seal leaking, I can now do the swap in under an hour with air tools. :no: :thumbsup:

Think you could do a write-up on it if you need to do it again? Since you know the ins and outs, it could prove quite helpful to some. Esp with tips like the poppet added in. :thumbsup:

jysp

Apr 29, 2013
I put in a new rack and new lines, had the an alignment done... there were no leaks. I put on about 90km and the got a leak where the lines enter the rack. I can't really see if it the pressure or return side.

glfredrick - can you tell me what you mean by
- a restrictor poppet
- 'if the holes where the lines go are both bare holes then it is missing'

I recall when I put the rack in 1 of the holes was open and the other appeared to be closed. I can't recall how deep it inside it was closed. Is this it the restrictor poppet?

Is it possible that the restrictor poppet was put in but not deep enough and I damaged it when I put the lines in?

Is it possible that they put restrictor poppet on the wrong side?

I

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
jysp said:
I put in a new rack and new lines, had the an alignment done... there were no leaks. I put on about 90km and the got a leak where the lines enter the rack. I can't really see if it the pressure or return side.

glfredrick - can you tell me what you mean by
- a restrictor poppet
- 'if the holes where the lines go are both bare holes then it is missing'

I recall when I put the rack in 1 of the holes was open and the other appeared to be closed. I can't recall how deep it inside it was closed. Is this it the restrictor poppet?

Is it possible that the restrictor poppet was put in but not deep enough and I damaged it when I put the lines in?

Is it possible that they put restrictor poppet on the wrong side?

I
Any of the above IS possible...

Here is another thread on our sister site Off-Road TB:

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3637

You can just barely see the poppet in this photo. It sits down in the bore. Compare the holes here with your old rack and make sure the replacement looks precisely the same.

Also, if you are using the original factory style seals (little aluminum hat with rubber insert) you MUST install that into the rack bore to the proper distance FIRST before installing the lines. It cannot just be placed over the end of the line then the entire line pushed into the bore. I will never seal that way.

The replacement line eliminates the little (pricey!) hat seal with an o-ring that DOES install on the line, then gets slipped into the bore. I highly recommend going with the replacement line, but make sure to remove the factory seal from the bore of the rack first. They generally stay stuck inside the bore when the lines come out.

99656650.jpg

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online