Steel rim spare

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I like the look of my spare rim/tire bolted under the tb it looks rugged and beefy want to know of I purchase 3 more and use them on my tb if that is okay ? Ill have the tires from my rim moved to the steelys. My current rims are ugly and I wanted to paint them black but I dont think they would look good black.

2012-08-02_13-38-34_911.jpg

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It's a full size spare, so go for it :smile:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
it's your truck, do what you want.
i run black rims in the winter. check "My Build" in my sig. for pics on how it will look w/ summit white.
might have to do a little searching, there are members that have black rims, in all oem styles.
IIRC there is one member that is running black steelies(can't think of who it is right now)

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
fletch09 said:
it's your truck, do what you want.
i run black rims in the winter. check "My Build" in my sig. for pics on how it will look w/ summit white.
might have to do a little searching, there are members that have black rims, in all oem styles.
IIRC there is one member that is running black steelies(can't think of who it is right now)

After doing some watching with plastidip on YouTube and seeing a member on here has the same style rims ill try plasting them black before I go to steel rims. Iv always known not to use spare rims forever but since mine is fullsize I think it would look nice ! I still want 20" SS rims even tho I drive a boat with wheels (ext ls).:biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Was it only the 2002s and 2003s that came with the black aluminum spares, and also only the SWB with the 16" wheels? I've often wondered how my truck would look with 4 of those, lifted, meatier tires.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:
Was it only the 2002s and 2003s that came with the black aluminum spares, and also only the SWB with the 16" wheels? I've often wondered how my truck would look with 4 of those, lifted, meatier tires.

My '03 Envoy came with a 17" steel wheel.
Like the one in post #1.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Ghost said:
I like the look of my spare rim/tire bolted under the tb it looks rugged and beefy want to know of I purchase 3 more and use them on my tb if that is okay ? Ill have the tires from my rim moved to the steelys. My current rims are ugly and I wanted to paint them black but I dont think they would look good black.

What rims do you have? Here's mine

0721121334.jpg

0721121740.jpg

Sparky said:

I think only the 02 SWB have aluminum spares, but IDK for sure.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
I think only the 02 SWB have aluminum spares, but IDK for sure.

Nope. I have a full size steelie too.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Ghost said:

I think your spare tire is mounted upside down. On my 2004, the owner's manual states to install the spare tire with the valve stem pointing up, otherwise the secondary latch system won't function properly.

Check your manual and see what it says. You don't want that tire falling off when you're on the highway. :smile:

Check salvage yards for spare wheels. Just remember some vehicles, such as the V8 and EXT models, came standard with 17" wheels, not 16".

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mine is a 17, I run four of those in the winter and hate the look of them, maybe cause my truck is silver. Every year I can hardly wait to get them off....just my 2cents.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
My truck has 17" wheels. Stock
I removed the spare one time to see if I had any performance gains from o-60...n/a so I put it back the same way it was when I bought it.
But the third row seat is instorage soo much more room ! I am going to hunt local salvage yards for three more steel wheels.

I am excited !!!:biggrin::thumbup:

filthyfingers

Apr 7, 2012
As usual I did the opposite. I painted my 17" steelie silver and put it in the rotation. Hardly anyone noticed it and I got about 70,000 miles out the stock Michelin Cross Terrains using a 5 tire rotation. I replaced the set with 4 new Cross Terrains from Sam's Club 25,000 miles ago. Now the spare stays put. I like the Michelin CT's.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
strat81 said:
I think your spare tire is mounted upside down. On my 2004, the owner's manual states to install the spare tire with the valve stem pointing up, otherwise the secondary latch system won't function properly.

Check your manual and see what it says. You don't want that tire falling off when you're on the highway. :smile:

Check salvage yards for spare wheels. Just remember some vehicles, such as the V8 and EXT models, came standard with 17" wheels, not 16".

I know when I cut the trash can off, my spare was the other way with the stem pointing up.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Phantom said:
I know when I cut the trash can off, my spare was the other way with the stem pointing up.

IMO I bet its so the stem doesn't catch something and your stuck with no spare. I checked out the latch and seriously don't see how it could fall off either which way its mounted.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online