Starts when cold not hot

Codster

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Colorado Springs
New to the website and it’s awesome so far so much knowledge. So I’m sure you all will be able to help me with my issue. I have a 2005 gmc envoy Denali 5.3l with 178000 miles on it. I replaced the fuel pump a while ago and that fixed the issue it had at that time. Also have replaced the throttle body and crankshaft sensor. Like a lot of people. The issue I am having now is when the car sits and is cold it starts just fine but once the car is warm and you try to start it. It just cranks. Battery is good. Just looking for more information to what could be causing this im open for any suggestions. This is the first things that came up and I change the crank shaft sensor and also the throttle body. I will get the code read again Tommorrow to see what it is now

Attachments

• 629253B9-0D89-41E8-9DC5-1FEA3B172D73.jpeg
    629253B9-0D89-41E8-9DC5-1FEA3B172D73.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 9

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Treat it just like any crank no start situation when it happens. Check for spark and fuel. My bet is on fuel. What brand fuel pump did you put in? Try starting fluid when it fails to start.

Codster

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Colorado Springs
New to the website and it’s awesome so far so much knowledge. So I’m sure you all will be able to help me with my issue. I have a 2005 gmc envoy Denali 5.3l with 178000 miles on it. I replaced the fuel pump a while ago and that fixed the issue it had at that time. Also have replaced the throttle body and crankshaft sensor. Like a lot of people. The issue I am having now is when the car sits and is cold it starts just fine but once the car is warm and you try to start it. It just cranks. Battery is good. Just looking for more information to what could be causing this im open for any suggestions. This is the first things that came up and I change the crank shaft sensor and also the throttle body. I will get the code read again Tommorrow to see what it is now
Treat it just like any crank no start situation when it happens. Check for spark and fuel. My bet is on fuel. What brand fuel pump did you put in? Try starting fluid when it fails to start.
I bought it from autozone cause I was in a rush. And as far as spark plugs do I just pull one out and crank to see if there is any spark or how do I got about testing that

Attachments

• D1B97644-87F2-41B3-890D-28B4BDE6E6E7.png
    D1B97644-87F2-41B3-890D-28B4BDE6E6E7.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Delphi is one of the better ones but it could be bad. To check for spark, just pull a spark plug wire and use an old plug that's grounded. I'm still leaning towards fuel though.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'm having the same issue with my Delphi pump. It will start fine in the morning and through out the day it will need to be cranked a second or third time to start. Next morning everything is fine and dandy again on the first start. But I have no codes or pending codes from this issue. So you might have other issues going on.

My next pump will definitely be a Bosch. I haven't heard of any issues when ppl install them.

Reactions: Mooseman

Codster

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Colorado Springs
I know you all hear this a lot probably and I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Is there certain thread I can look at that can help me with what to check and how

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cranks but won't start

The FAQ's for the most common things are linked in my signature.

For checking fuel pressure, just hook up a fuel pressure tester to the test port on the fuel rail.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I know you all hear this a lot probably and I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Is there certain thread I can look at that can help me with what to check and how
before you start disturbing things too much, get some starting fluid and spray it in the intake (carefully) as you indicate a "hot engine" is a problem. See if it starts right up. Go from the result... which probably included a pressure test on the fuel line and following the suggested link to other thread.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Here is a video on diagnosing the problem.... admittedly may not help a lot without a scan tool and its a old version LS motor but maybe you can get something from it....if nothing else it may lead you to bring it somewhere for a proper diagnosis...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online