SOLVED! starting issue- replaced neutral safety switch

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete
having a problem with my 2002 EXT TB not starting. Started by replacing neutral safety switch, not it. Replaced ignition switch, not it. Starter relay also, no luck. the starter is good, there is no power getting to the purple wire. any ideas before i go get a PCM or have mine reflashed if possible. its been sitting in a shop and I've been starting it up regularly in fact just last week, the only thing different is i didnt have the instrument cluster in this time. everything turns on its just when i go to start it, pulled codes to see if there was anything there, but just body codes from when i pulled everything out. Any help/ideas is/are much appreciated

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Given any thought to trying it with the cluster installed? If there is a security issue, like an issue with the passlock system, you will not see it without a cluster to display the security light, and without a successful passlock sensor operation the PCM will not be granted permission to crank the starter.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete
B1850 is the only persistent code that keeps popping up, read through the faqs and watched some videos so going to try to track down the problem

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What was the sequence of events that lead up to the no-start issue? Did this happen on the old ignition switch?

Just for sake of elimination, have you tried to start it when in Neutral?

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete
It was running fine until I took the instrument cluster out and tried to start it, the ignition switch was changed just over a year ago because I read it could have been a reason for the transmission not to shift into gear, it was the pump. The neutral safety switch was replaced because I broke the original getting the transmission out. When I get a chance to get back to the shop I plan on taking the fuse block out and checking all the wiring. I'm just not getting power to the starter, haven't done a continuity test for that yet. Cluster is back in

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
It was running fine until I took the instrument cluster out and tried to start it, the ignition switch was changed just over a year ago because I read it could have been a reason for the transmission not to shift into gear, it was the pump. The neutral safety switch was replaced because I broke the original getting the transmission out. When I get a chance to get back to the shop I plan on taking the fuse block out and checking all the wiring. I'm just not getting power to the starter, haven't done a continuity test for that yet. Cluster is back in

When you get back at it just keep in mind that no switch actually sends power to the starter like an old school vehicle. The ignition switch sends a REQUEST to the PCM and the PCM REQUESTS permission from the BCM to crank and so on. It is ALL done at the whims of the computers.

• Love
Reactions: 808

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete
When you get back at it just keep in mind that no switch actually sends power to the starter like an old school vehicle. The ignition switch sends a REQUEST to the PCM and the PCM REQUESTS permission from the BCM to crank and so on. It is ALL done at the whims of the computers.
That's what's getting me, I'm hoping I don't have to change either one unless its needed for an 06 head swap. Like I mentioned earlier the only codes I'm getting are for HVAC and lumbar

bobo52

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
st pete
UPDATE!!!! She runs! If y'all watch the video by May05lt he states if you stick a probe into the fuse block that is wider than the opening you will be in a world of shit. Guess what... he was right. I have never pulled that relay until this happened, so after watching the video and testing ALL of the wires I realized that 2 of the prongs were loose inside the fuse block. Bent them inward and PRESTO fired right up. Thank you all for your help and for MOOSEMAN with the link to that video. I've watched before this has happened but now that it happened I payed closer ATTENTION and caught that little S.O.B.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online