Starter not staying energized

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
This started happening today, but when I turn the key the starter will crank momentarily then stop. I can keep doing this and it will fire eventually, but the cranking may last only a half-second.

The starter is about 4-5 years old.

I placed my finger on the starter relay and I can feel a click when the key is turned, but the starter will stop before the relay opens again.

I suspected the ignition switch at this point and turned the key slowly until the starter engaged. This let the starter crank maybe another half second, so does this sound like a bad ignition switch or something else?

I've not seen this behavior before with the starter.

I picked up an ign switch just in case.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The key "flick-start" as I call it should send the command to the PCM which will engage the starter relay for a few seconds until the engine starts or stop after 5 seconds or so if it fails to start. Turning and holding the key will force the PCM to keep the relay engaged as long as you hold the key to the start position until the engine starts.

Follow the same procedure in No Crank, Like Attempting To Start In Drive but check to see if the PCM is sending the signal to the relay for the 5 seconds or keeps it on as long as you hold the key. If it does, check the relay. You can also jump the relay to see if the starter itself will crank for an extended period of time.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The key "flick-start" as I call it should send the command to the PCM which will engage the starter relay for a few seconds until the engine starts or stop after 5 seconds or so if it fails to start

Was this an option or maybe not on all models/years? My 2002 Trailblazer has never done this and I have wondered about that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 02 at first didn't do it until I had the PCM updated for something else.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My 06 has never done it that I recall. Only cranks when key is engaged. I figured it had something to do with tuned PCM (got before year of owning) cause I was always told they should crank for a few after one key hit.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
If I hold the key at START, the starter shuts down after about a half-second to 1 sec. I can repeat this 10 times if needed.

Unless the starter or solenoid is toast and shutting down.

I'm going to try a momentary push-button on the solenoid to confirm.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a jumper as a test would suffice. It is possible that the solenoid on the starter is bad. This would confirm it.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I'm not sure I can remove the solenoid on this starter but I believe I have a lifetime warranty on it. If it can be removed it appears to not be user friendly.

This is with the push button held down and does confirm the solenoid.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably not. Just bring the whole thing in. Could also be the motor itself. What brand was it?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
For the life of me I cannot find where it was purchased. My assumption now is I didn't have a lifetime warranty and being over 3 years old there are no records at the parts stores, lesson learned to save the receipt, but I think this worked out for the better.

I found a local starter repair shop and they had a solenoid for $20...:thumbsup:

Not sure of the brand that I'm using now, but the repair shop said it's possibly a denso, hopefully this helps.

Screenshot_20200609-153454_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-153509_Gallery.jpg

Three bolts hold the solenoid in, use a 4mm socket.

Screenshot_20200609-153525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-153557_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-153611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-153624_Gallery.jpg

All is good, worked perfect. I will check the starter draw another day but it sounds as good as new.

Screenshot_20200609-153703_Gallery.jpg

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Good to know! Are those torx head bolts holding the solenoid on? And do you have a part
number for that solenoid by any chance? Might help someone cross reference it if they have a similar problem.

Glad it seems to be behaving for you now!

Cheers-

Chris

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
What Corrosion Prevention Spray did you apply to the Solenoid Connectors?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Are those torx head bolts holding the solenoid on? And do you have a part
number for that solenoid by any chance?

Sorry for late reply, yes those are torx and thanks for bringing that up. I didn't have a torx bit that small but the 4MM was a tight fit, no slop so I feel comfortable recommending it in a pinch.

The part number seems to be 12137, at least from US Auto Electric, they also have it in stock.

The shop gave me a part number from Amazon which is 245 12137.

There are two solenoids that are very similiar, 12135 is a 2-bolt mount, and the one for my 2002 and likely for the rest of the model years is a 3-bolt mount, 12137. Not just a 3-terminal, but a 3-bolt mount as well.

What Corrosion Prevention Spray did you apply to the Solenoid Connectors?

I used the JD spray. Not sure who makes it but it's honestly not my favorite. I've used others that are more tacky, but works ok.

Screenshot_20200610-135232_Gallery.jpg

Edited for content.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online