Starter/ignition problem

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3L, two wheel drive. Randomly when starting the engine when the key is turned to the start position nothing happens. Similar to disconnected battery cable. After repeated tries the engine will start and die immediately. After multiple starts the engine runs fine and drives fine. Any help is much appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like an ignition switch. I'd start with that. If it doesn't fix it, I'd be looking at an electrical issue like a bad ground.

Reactions: mrrsm and Reprise

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
Have check for codes, will do this soon as I can. The ignition switch is less than two years old. I did check the plugs for the ignition switch and they are clean and tight. Thank you for your help.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Faulty starter relay?

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
Just replaced starter relay. Buying relay for ignition tomorrow. I have not driven the truck since the starter relay was replaced. Both relays are original.

mlan12

Original poster
Mar 30, 2015
Found videos on You Tube showing a ground wire on the right rear of the engine block that is know to cause this problem. Can someone tell me if this is a single bare wire or is it enclosed in a protective plastic cover? Trying to make sure I am looking at the correct wire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online