NEED HELP Stalls/dies and key stuck intermittently

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
My 03 has been having a few problems in the past few months. First problem that came up was the check engine light came on. Scanned it and it was one for the camshaft actuator. I have parts ordered but awaiting arrival. The next thing that came up was my wife drove it to work and it died as she was pulling into work. She got help pushing it into parking spot. Said she went to take the key out but wouldn't budge. She tried to start it and the only thing that would happen is ligts on dash would go out while in staart position.So she got pissed off and ripped my steering column cover off. Ik right!!!! She said that she pulled the little three wire plug that is on the top of switch and plugged it back in. The key came out then she tried to start it and it started right up. After she got home I went out and tinkered with it. I was thinking that maybe she was trying to start it while still in gear. I started it and jiggled the little plug and boom. She dies. SAme story as the key wouldn't come out and lights on dash would go out. Pushed it firmly in and no problems. Since this when I'm driving at night, my headlights will go out. Usually for maybe 2 secs but on one scary night they stayed out for About ten. I'm thinking that maybe this is due to the switch as well since it only happens when I use the auto lights. I now use my actual switch and no problems. Lastly here within the last couple of days I have gotten a misfire. Not all the time and no cel with that. It will increase with engine speed but only while parkwd. If I am in gear it is only noticeable when idling at a stop then goes away. Like I said no cel so idk. Any ideas?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I would suggest you load test your battery and have the alternator tested. If it is more than 5 years old, the battery is due anyway. This is the most common cause of a stuck key. Even if your battery is brand new, you should test it anyway. (New batteries have a high failure rate because plates can break in shipping, especially cheaper batteries with thinner plates.)

If the battery is fine, I would look at the ignition switch as the next possible cause. (We tend to look for the cheapest solutions and the most common causes first.)

Also, replace your headlight relay (#46 in the fuse box.)

All will be good.

Last edited:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
The battery being bd would cause the ignition problems? It was replaced about 5mos ago so it's not old. Why would it change if I wiggled the wires on the IG. Switch? Not trying to contradict or anything like that, just wondering.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Generally, when the key doesn't come out then that is triggered by a low/dying battery. However, since the battery is fairly new we can look at something else first (not ruling out the battery though, could be simply defective). Although, getting the battery load tested can't hurt anything just to be sure, and make sure the connections are all clean and tight too.

Since messing with that harness connection seems to make a difference, I'd start by replacing the ignition switch itself (common failure point, and don't get a Dorman!) and inspect that plug for any issues (loose pins, wires, etc). I'd hazard a guess that the inner connections of the switch itself are more to blame than the plug, but check all that anyway.

Headlights going out and coming back on are more likely the relay as mentioned, since those don't depend on the ignition switch at all.

Reactions: Mooseman

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Are the wires going into the plug that you messed with red with white stripe, black, and yellow?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Changed the title to be a bit more descriptive.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Thanks, I'm a Lil slow and not very creative:bonk:. Also, can anyone shed some light on the misfire issue? Seems weird to me that I get no cel(with this anyway, had one with the camshaft actuator but has since gone away).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you are getting a misfire, it is either unrelated or it was the ignition switch wires being flaky.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
OK so the verdict seems to be that I need a new switch as well as battery tested. I don't believe it would be the battery as it is fairly new and I have not had any problems with it being dead and what not but may as well have it done

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It can't hurt. I've just learned (the hard way) to not rule anything that is a possible cause out just because I did it recently already.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dorman electronics just seem to be flaky. Their mechanical only stuff seems fine (their "help!" line is really useful!), but stuff like switches, actuators, etc just don't seem to be their strong point and a lot of people - myself included - seem to have to redo the job again sooner than expected.

So in short, yes, their electronics are crap. I'd just go with another AC Delco.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online