Stainless lines avail for 02 models?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Curious if anyone offers stainless brake lines for the 2002 Envoy. Was hoping Goodridge did but apparently not.

I see Powerstop has a set for the 07 SS but IIRC, the 2002-2005 is slightly different..if so, by how much?

Thanks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think the trac control and brake changes in 06 should affect hoses. I could be wrong.

If you're meaning the hard lines, then yeah there's differences.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 06-09 years are different as they are cast iron calipers with a different positioning of the hose.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The rear are the different lines IIRC. I think all the front fit the same.

U EEDIOT

Sep 25, 2017
NoVa
Guess I can't trust Rockauto anymore.
They list the rear right line as 02-09 for each brand they carry.
All other lines from any brand are 02-05.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Please specify your definition of "line".

Line is the hard metal line. "Hose" is of course the rubber one. Since there are stainless hoses available, it can get confusing.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Please specify your definition of "line".

Line is the hard metal line. "Hose" is of course the rubber one. Since there are stainless hoses available, it can get confusing.

I also meant SS brake hoses, you are correct, that can be confusing.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
The 06-09 years are different as they are cast iron calipers with a different positioning of the hose.

Ok, I was thinking only the TBSS had the iron calipers, do all models use the iron front calipers after 05?

I'm glad you mentioned this, I'm changing my front calipers to the SS and they do have a different hose location for the front caliper. Same mount for the frame, but caliper mounting location is different. The distance is less, but can it make the bend? I've heard of others using these calipers but not sure if they changed the hoses.

The rear calipers have the hose mounting location in the same place on the caliper, not sure about the frame.

Edited to add: According to the dealer, the SS rear brake hose is the same part number as the 02 Envoy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I believe all rear brakes and calipers are the same. I know the SS, V8 and LWB models had the larger rotor and different caliper mount, but thought the calipers up front were same except SS/Aero.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ok, I was thinking only the TBSS had the iron calipers, do all models use the iron front calipers after 05?

Yes. My '07 with the 4.2 has front iron calipers. The rears are the same for all years and models including SS/Aero.

I know the SS, V8 and LWB models had the larger rotor and different caliper mount,

That was correct up to 05 except there were no SS/Aero then. 06+ were all cast iron front with the bigger rotors and mounts for EXT(06 only)/V8/SS/Aero. The smaller brakes on 4.2 trucks can do the same upgrade as before using the mounts and rotors from a V8 truck.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought my 06 calipers were aluminum.....never knew they were the iron. I did the larger rotors and swapped brackets 5 or 6 years ago.

Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
@HARDTRAILZ yeah I thought mine were aluminum. Brandon told me they were iron. We talk IRL about it, I'm trying to swap to the larger rotors as well. we thought it would be sweet to have some Brembo brakes but that might be overkill

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I just recently swapped over to braided stainless from Stop Tech on my 08 envoy. I can get better pic's for you guys on how it all gets put together next time I have to get my wheels off.8769587693

Reactions: gmcman

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
There's a Big positive difference, less brake pedal travel, bites nice and firm, stopping distance is a whole lot shorter,better.
Please keep in my mind my whole brake system is brand new except the solid lines and rotors. Master cylinder, brake booster, front, rear calipers and brake pads. I replaced every seal,gasket,nut and bolt after having the calipers coated.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I did all the work myself minus the powder coating which my brother did and I didn't pay for. I'd ball park figure it at about $600-$700 for all the fresh new goodies once again minus powder coating. Do I and my wife think it was worth it??? Your damn skippy 100% pleased.

We've got 185k miles on the Voy and honestly I think this is a great truck so long as you keep on top of them and do what needs to get done.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All you need to swap to the larger rotors are the V8 brackets, which are available from RA. That's likely my next mod.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got some boneyard brackets and the new rotors I needed anyway were basically the same price so it is definitely a worthwhile mod if you need rotors.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I did the brackets and rotors a few years back and was really impressed. Now it just feels like a totally different truck stopping wise with all the work and $ I put in.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: So all I need to do is source some front calipers from an 06+, or a V8, then I can switch to stainless hoses for my EXT?

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
:undecided: So all I need to do is source some front calipers from an 06+, or a V8, then I can switch to stainless hoses for my EXT?

I would think so.

I have a spare set(calipers) from my brother-in-law's SS If your interested. We replaced them a while back do to bleeder screws being stripped on the out side not internally and 1 of the outer piston seals not compressing right. If your really interested I can have the set cleaned up and even powder coat them. You'd have to buy all the seals and stuff and put them together on your end of course unless of course you'd rather I get it done.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have a spare set(calipers) from my brother-in-law's SS If your interested. We replaced them a while back do to bleeder screws being stripped on the out side not internally and 1 of the outer piston seals not compressing right. If your really interested I can have the set cleaned up and even powder coat them. You'd have to buy all the seals and stuff and put them together on your end of course unless of course you'd rather I get it done.

:goodpost: Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind when I get more serious about that mod. I'll have to do some research on what it takes to rebuild them, seal kits look pretty cheap, so that's encouraging at least.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
:goodpost: Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind when I get more serious about that mod. I'll have to do some research on what it takes to rebuild them, seal kits look pretty cheap, so that's encouraging at least.

The'll be in my storage area in my brothers shop when ever you are ready for them.

Also keep in mind that the pistons have to be replaced aswell. Not expensive at all for them either. Upon removal mine got beat to shyt there made of a composite material unlike the rears which are steel.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I thought my 06 calipers were aluminum.....never knew they were the iron. I did the larger rotors and swapped brackets 5 or 6 years ago.

I just swapped out calipers on my ext 06, they have to be iron, or at least not aluminum, those devils are kinda heavy :smile:

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
All you need to swap to the larger rotors are the V8 brackets, which are available from RA. That's likely my next mod.

When I changed to the larger rotors on my 02, I used the brackets from the LWB model..I believe the 03 XL.

Later on I was going to change the calipers to the iron ones from the TBSS, the calipers would not fit inside the LWB brackets...I needed brackets from the SS.

This may have changed after 2005, but double check first...maybe all the 06-09 used standard brackets for the LWB and SS models.

• Sad

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 02-05 aluminum calipers and brackets do not interchange with the 06+ parts unless you replace both the calipers and brackets. IIRC, there was also a change with the brake hose because of a change with its position on the caliper. The larger rotors are interchangeable.

One particularity, 06 was the only year that there was an EXT with the iron calipers.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Leave it to GM... :ugh: At least that's something to know now, rather than find out the hard way when the brakes are all taken apart on a hot FL summer day.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online