Stabilitrak light and service stabilitrak lights on after transmission fluid flush

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
2008 TB LS I6 4x4 82k miles.

Yesterday, I flushed the ATF in my 2008 using the flush method I saw MAY03LT do on youtube. All went smooth just like the video. I dropped the pan and swapped the filter, and replaced the fluid. Drove fine all day and that night.

This morning on my way to work I get the stabilitrak and service stabilitrak warning lights on the dash. This cannot be just a coincidence? That light has not come on in the 3 weeks I have owned the truck.

When I got to work, I turned the truck off, and after about 5 minutes I started it again, and no light. I drove it around the parking lot a little bit, and still no light.

I have done some research, and it looks like the steering wheel position sensor can cause this? But that seems like too crazy of a coincidence to me. But then again, every week I have owned this truck I have odd stuff happening..... Truck does not have a locking steering wheel, if that matters.

I will not be able to look at codes until I get home this evening.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Next time it happens just push the key forward like your trying to start the truck. Don't worry about engaging the starter as your pcm knows the truck is already on and won't push the starter. That should clear it up. There are plenty of threads on the issue with the stabiltrak system most of the time replacing the sensor on the steering column is the fix.

Reactions: Mooseman

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Thank you for the reply. Could it be the ignition switch? I had a few service records from the truck and it looks like the previous owner had a couple of them replaced.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I doubt it but then again these ignition switches do cause some stuff to go screwy. Just try what I mentioned and if the problem persists just start digging up those threads about the system. I i highly doubt the fluid/filter change on your tranny had anything to do with this issue.

Btw. My stabiltrak system started acting funky at about the same mileage as yours and I've got the 09 envoy with 150k on the dash. And i just flick the switch every now and then when that light does come on which is about once a week. It's noticeable more in colder weather.

Last edited:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
agree with xavierny25, have the same problem, had the steering wheel position sensor replaced on my 09 (currently at 89K) twice while under warranty. mine comes on more often in the winter, or if i hit a bump turning, it will activate. i just turn the key and it goes away. FYI, you will need a code reader that will read abs codes to get the code for that.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:iagree:

90% of the time, it's the steering wheel position sensor, especially if it's intermittent or turns on when you turn the wheel.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
it just happened again to me this am on the way to work. semi hard left turn on to a bumpy highway.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
I pulled the codes, and had 5. They were:

c0455
c0196
c0131
u1000
u1017

I see the c0455 wheel position sensor code, but what about the others? That u1000 looks bad

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't worry about the U codes. Most of the time they are meaningless and affect nothing.

Start with replacing the SWPS. Everything else should fall into place.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86