Stabilitrak Error?

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I am noticing a couple of issues with my Stabilitrak the past week or two. For the past 12-13 years, I am well aware that the Stabilitrak system does not like cold weather, and often pop lights in the cold, but the current error seems odd. On two or three occasions, shortly after I have started the TB, when I pull away from my stopped location if driving or parking spot, the Stabilitrak light will begin to flash, as if I have spun the back tires. Normally I would feel this happen or the brakes would engage, etc. but I can't feel this happening. It happened this afternoon after taking a colleague to the shop to get his car, about 4 minutes from work, and after he popped out and I pulled away, it performed this same action.

The other odd item, is that twice tonight while backing into my driveway, the Stabilitrak service lights came on and stayed on, as soon as put the TB in reverse? I had no lights or issues (except SAIS) before putting it in reverse. It just seems odd to pop the light after I've drive for a bit and everything is all warmed up. Anyone have suggestions on the potential issue? Or how serious this is... first couple time is happened I was scared it was a sign of my Tranny starting to slip.... but I can seem to feel any slippage when this is happening.

Edit: Last thought... should I just hit the bottom on shift lever to turn Stabilitrak off, unless maybe a bit snowstorm? Or yank fuse (#58) I think? If just hit button, can I hold it in and just permanantly turn it off, or do I have to do it each time I start it.

Edit 2: As I continue to research more info.... I don't have any ABS lights... Just the Service Stabilitrak and the Stabilitrak Traction control light that flash when I spin the tires. If I recall the few times it has flashed in error like a spun tire, is when I turning out of a parking spot, my driveway or like tonight when i did a 360 turn to drop my colleage at the door. There are no other codes set in and nothing picked up by a Torque Pro scan. This seems to be pointing to a Steering Wheel Position Sensor. I see the parts on RA that are Genuine GM for just over $100. Few good r & r videos on YT. Doesn't seem too difficult.

All opinions are welcome!

Last edited:

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
This went from intermittent, to coming up each time today.. It seems to be associated with turning the steering wheel, on each occasion. Still no fault codes. Order the wheel position sensor in the morning once I get a chance to check with the dealership about price. They've been really decent on pricing lately (50% of the time, its' worked out well) or I'll have to go RA or Amazon. Any know issues with driving it in the condition till the part comes in?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just your Stabilitrak won't work. If it's just your Stabilitrak light that's coming on (no ABS light) then it is 99% likely it's the SWPS, especially since it's when you move the wheel.

Reactions: psa55

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Dealer brought in part for me, picked up Friday night. There are two different options depending on the steering column. Had them verify the corrent one with my VIN. Installed this am... easy job, aside from stretching your back out under the steering column. About an hour start to finish!

Couldn't do anything without problems yesterday... 10 minute drive with the new part, No problems! Thanks @Mooseman

Reactions: Mooseman

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Had my SWPS replaced under warranty twice. (09 TB)
happens to me when it’s cold and I’m turning and hit a bump.
if it starts up again, just turn the ignition switch for a few seconds, and light goes away. Or it will go away once you shut off and restart.

Reactions: xavierny25

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I replaced my SWPS back in January as mentioned in this thread. I was getting stabilitrak errors repeatedly and it was getting worse... multiple errors each start and drive, especially when turning the wheel.

When I replaced the SWPS, all these errors seemed to get much better, BUT.... from time to time, I still get a stabilitrak error. Now, it only happens at start-up, when I put it in gear and turn the wheel to come out of a parking space or my driveway and pull away for the first time.

If I pull out very slowly and turn very slowly, I almost never get the error. It never occurs again, either, after startup and initial movment. I am thinking the new SWPS that I put in, it not calibrated correctly. Can I have the new sensor calibrated somehow, or is there a procedure I can do myself?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A bad SWPS again? If that's the only light coming on, that's pretty much the only possible part to cause this. If also getting an ABS light at the same time, it's something in the ABS system. Best way to find out would be to scan for codes.

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
A bad SWPS again? If that's the only light coming on, that's pretty much the only possible part to cause this. If also getting an ABS light at the same time, it's something in the ABS system. Best way to find out would be to scan for codes.
Damn.. not the news I was hoping for. Was hoping it was calibration! No ABS issues at all, or ever on my TB. Scan with Torque Pro reveals no codes, except SAIS...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You need Car Gauge Pro to scan the other codes.

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Been a while getting back to this. I had just been turning off Stabilitrak for the time being. Its summer, right?
Now... my left front wheel hub starts to sound bad. Its a 2yr old Moog... I jack up the truck and spin the tire and its obvious this hub is toast, and has developed a bit of a grind feeling. Low and behold, same day yhe TB throws ABS lights. Try as I might, claiming the 3yr warranty on the Moog through Amazon has not been successful as of yet.

I have replaced with a 5yr warrantied Mevotech from a local parts store for $80. Alas.... all lights are gone and the Stabilitrak seems fixed!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online