Stabilitrack and stabilitrack service light.

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Started the voy and both light came on. I did not drive, just turned off the car and restarted it . Lights are gone. 101k miles.

What's up ?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Many times, it's a corroded ground lug down on the frame rail under the driver's area where the control module gets grounded. Run a search - been discussed a few times.

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
the roadie said:
Many times, it's a corroded ground lug down on the frame rail under the driver's area where the control module gets grounded. Run a search - been discussed a few times.

My search skills must be lacking. Lol. I'll try again

twinners

Jan 8, 2013
I have this same issue. just pops on randomly almost always just after startup. Shut off and it goes away. Thanks for the info.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The next time you park, keep the wheels straight ahead and see if this makes a difference the next morning.

It is very common for steering wheel position sensors to fail the startup test phase, often because they are on a less used part of the variable rheostat-type sensor. If it happens too often, you can replace the steering wheel position sensor. Otherwise, just drive for a bit, shut it off and restart. That will fix it. (Sometimes, even just turning the steering wheel a slight bit and restarting before you drive off is enough to get the lights off.)

Basically, it is new technology that uses a lot of old school parts in the sensors.

Here's a tip that we have found. Some scan tools can read OBDII, ABS, airbag and stability control trouble codes, but not all. Usually, if it will read ABS codes, it will read stability control system codes too. Every Trailblazer owner should have a good scan tool that has a live-readout function. So before you pay to replace the steering wheel position sensor, for example, you want to make sure that actually is the trouble code the next time the lights are on.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
I used to have this problem, until I realized I was hitting the button on my shifter by accident ...

chemker

Dec 1, 2013
I recently replaced the rack and pinion on my wife's '06 Envoy. Once complete I took it out for the test drive and noticed the stabilitrac light was on. It's basically been on for the past 3 weeks. If it's not on when the vehicle is started, it pops on shortly after driving. So, in essence is does go off and come on, but it stays on for the majority of the time. I've read other posts about this after the rack was replaced. Seems like the steering wheel sensor is the usual suspect, but would like to know for sure. I have not tried having the code read yet. I'm hoping I can find an answer here and without having to dump anymore money into it.
In the past 11 months I've put on the following:
electronic fan clutch
driver side hub bearing
upper and lower ball joints
driver side inner tie rod
brakes and rotors all around
tires
new fuel pump
idler bearing
serpentine belt
rack and pinion
outer tie rod ends
hvac mode actuator
cleaned throttle body

TIA - Chris

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My stabilitrak light came on after I broke my tranny...just sayin....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:

I do not remember ever seeing this. I had always read it was the steering position sensor. I will check my ground since I get the light occasionally.

Inert_Static

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
I do not remember ever seeing this. I had always read it was the steering position sensor. I will check my ground since I get the light occasionally.

This really has happened one time to me. Maybe it was the startup failure like someone else mentioned.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The ground relates more to a loss of communication with the electronic brake control module (EBCM) under the truck, but on newer vehicles, the stabiltrak needs the ABS to be working properly or it will shut down.

This illustrates why it is pretty important to have the codes read when the lights come on. Then we can narrow it down.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Just an FYI, I have one of those Actron ABS readers that reads up to year 2005, it reads my 2006 trailblazer ABS codes no problem.

Also, I had the same problem, bad steering wheel position sensor that I still have to fix (confirmed by abs reader). Parking the vehicle with wheels straight = no more lights. (temporary fix)

I highly recommend redoing that ground as well, it's easy access and a clean ground is a really good first step on fixing intermittent crap.

mr_fons

Dec 14, 2011
Had the same problem with my 07 and it turned out the be the ignition switch needed to be replace.
No problems since the replacement.:thumbsup:

JayMorals

Oct 14, 2013
I picked up a 2007 GMC Envoy Denali 2wd in July that has 89,000 miles. About a month ago, when the weather really started to cool off, the "service stabilitrak" message and light started to intermittently go off. After some research I took the Envoy into AutoZone. They hooked up their scanner which could read EBCM codes, which I can't do with mine at home. The code (C0455) indicated that the Steering Wheel Position Sensor needed to be replaced. Bought one and finally replaced it yesterday. Getting to it wasn't too difficult, but coaxing it out of position on the shaft required a balance of persistence and patience. I found that with a small screwdriver I could reach the back side of the sensor through some holes in the plastic framing and gently tap it forward off the shaft.

Took the Envoy out for a drive and got the same message and light within about 8 minutes. Frustrating. Now after more online research I've come up with some alternatives to try. First, I'm going to locate and clean the ground mentioned earlier in this thread. It would appear to be the cheapest and easiest possible solution. The other solutions that I've identified are replacing the ignition switch, flushing the brake fluid, replacing the battery, and always parking with the wheels straight.

I don't think that parking with the wheels straight is a fix for me. It is already parked in my garage each night with the wheels straightish...

Another site, I think for full sized GMC trucks, mentioned that dirty brake fluid could be the culprit (which makes no sense to me). I may choose to do this simply because I haven't since I've owned it and doubt that the dealership that cared for this Envoy before it came to me, ever changed the fluid out.

Replacing the ignition switch intrigues me and may be my follow on attempt to fix. My key hangs up in the ignition sometimes and I wonder if there is an intermittent ground or something that is pissing off the ECM in there on occasion. I wasn't able to predictably recreate the message and light, but initially thought that it was tied to braking and turning the wheel at the same time.

Replacing the battery also interests me. The battery drained flat while I was gone for 17 days in September. Even before then I noticed that the starter sounded like it turned a bit slower if the vehicle sat for 2 or 3 days. I've had previous issues with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and a Chrysler Concorde that just started doing weird things when the battery began to dip with age. Both are electrically demanding vehicles much like the Envoy and my impression is that without a solidly perfect battery with clean power, the gremlins will eventually find a way to annoy you. A new battery solved odd, intermittent sensor issues in both of those vehicles despite the fact that the battery tested "good" at a service center (which the Envoy has done as well).

Update: Visited AZ again today and had them check the battery again for grins. It reads 12.3 just sitting (just a bit low). When I started it up, the service member raised an eyebrow and said, "I've never seen that before". The alternator is overcharging at 15.3 volts. I'll have to sort that first...

Any guidance would be appreciated, as this is clearly an issue that GM hasn't been able to isolate and fix yet.

Thanks!

jes1888

May 1, 2013
mine has the stabilitrack, the stabilitrack service light and abs turned on, possible causes? I replaced both front hubs moog branded, they included the sensor, everything is properly installed, still no luck. Will check the ground cable you guys are mentioning. Any advise would be really appreciated, thanks...

JayMorals

Oct 14, 2013
JayMorals said:
I picked up a 2007 GMC Envoy Denali 2wd in July that has 89,000 miles. About a month ago, when the weather really started to cool off, the "service stabilitrak" message and light started to intermittently go off. After some research I took the Envoy into AutoZone. They hooked up their scanner which could read EBCM codes, which I can't do with mine at home. The code (C0455) indicated that the Steering Wheel Position Sensor needed to be replaced. Bought one and finally replaced it yesterday. Getting to it wasn't too difficult, but coaxing it out of position on the shaft required a balance of persistence and patience. I found that with a small screwdriver I could reach the back side of the sensor through some holes in the plastic framing and gently tap it forward off the shaft.

Took the Envoy out for a drive and got the same message and light within about 8 minutes. Frustrating. Now after more online research I've come up with some alternatives to try. First, I'm going to locate and clean the ground mentioned earlier in this thread. It would appear to be the cheapest and easiest possible solution. The other solutions that I've identified are replacing the ignition switch, flushing the brake fluid, replacing the battery, and always parking with the wheels straight.

I don't think that parking with the wheels straight is a fix for me. It is already parked in my garage each night with the wheels straightish...

Another site, I think for full sized GMC trucks, mentioned that dirty brake fluid could be the culprit (which makes no sense to me). I may choose to do this simply because I haven't since I've owned it and doubt that the dealership that cared for this Envoy before it came to me, ever changed the fluid out.

Replacing the ignition switch intrigues me and may be my follow on attempt to fix. My key hangs up in the ignition sometimes and I wonder if there is an intermittent ground or something that is pissing off the ECM in there on occasion. I wasn't able to predictably recreate the message and light, but initially thought that it was tied to braking and turning the wheel at the same time.

Replacing the battery also interests me. The battery drained flat while I was gone for 17 days in September. Even before then I noticed that the starter sounded like it turned a bit slower if the vehicle sat for 2 or 3 days. I've had previous issues with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and a Chrysler Concorde that just started doing weird things when the battery began to dip with age. Both are electrically demanding vehicles much like the Envoy and my impression is that without a solidly perfect battery with clean power, the gremlins will eventually find a way to annoy you. A new battery solved odd, intermittent sensor issues in both of those vehicles despite the fact that the battery tested "good" at a service center (which the Envoy has done as well).

Update: Visited AZ again today and had them check the battery again for grins. It reads 12.3 just sitting (just a bit low). When I started it up, the service member raised an eyebrow and said, "I've never seen that before". The alternator is overcharging at 15.3 volts. I'll have to sort that first...

Any guidance would be appreciated, as this is clearly an issue that GM hasn't been able to isolate and fix yet.

Thanks!

So I replaced the alternator. After driving the Envoy everyday this last week, the service stabilitrak message has not reappeared. Despite receiving it 8 minutes after replacing the steering wheel position sensor, it hasn't returned so I'm now inclined to say that the issue is resolved. Perhaps the over charging alternator had something to do with it as well?

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
Any pictures of the ground mentioned? I always park my wheels straight as a habit with all my vehicles and this morning that light came on and the gauges didn't work all lights on dash were on until I put it in drive. Hadn't reappeared yet though

Chucklehead

Dec 23, 2017
Maine

Thanks!
I asked a mechanic friend about my stabilitrak putting me into limp mode issues. He said he'd worked on one before and there are issues with voltages not being where they should be. He said a temp fix for me could be to unplug the power to the radiator fan clutch. It's the 5 or so wire connection mounted near the top of the fan shroud on the driver's side. I unplugged mine and my service stabilitrak light is gone and I'm out of limp mode.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Also... There is another group of Usual Suspects involved in the mysterious problems of having the engine go into Limp Mode and have the cutoff of Stabiltrak ....which may or may not throw any Codes (C0455):

PCM Failure
Accelerator Pedal Sensor Failure (ACC has two electrical signals..One Low, One High)
Throttle Position Sensor Failure(TPS)
The MAF Sensor Failure (MAF)
Short Circuits in their Wiring (Broken Wires inside the insulation can occur)

If any one of these fails... or if there are Damaged Wiring in the harshnesses present causing intermittent electric connections between the Sensor(s) and the PCM... Then the PCM automatically sends the System into Limp Mode...and Turns Off The Stabitrak.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online