ss rims and tires for $500 good deal or not?

sscamaro68327

Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
I just recently came across a set of ss trailblazer rims with snow tires that were only used for one season, but the finish on the rims is destroyed. The guy is asking $500. I'm not sure what brand of tires are on them because i haven't seen them in person yet. The question is is this a good deal and what is the best and cheapest way to refinish them. I am going to a powder coating place tomorrow to get a price. I was also considering polishing them if they are not pitted to bad. I was told the clear coat is messed up. I have never refinished or polished rims before. Any suggestions on how to finish and roughly how much it will cost would be greatly appreciated? Also is this a good deal?

Attachments

• PART951340754642349.jpg
    PART951340754642349.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 28

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Aircraft stripper will bubble the clearand take it off revieling raw aluminum. They will look brand new if not pitted and after u buff them out. A lot work tho. Guys on ssowners do this all the time. But u will want to put a protective barrier on them or salt from winter will fuck them up.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
It depends on how much it would cost to get them looking pretty. I say get that quote on the powdercoating and go from there.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
^^ this...

PC shouldnt be nor more then $50 bucks a wheel... friend of mine did his 17's and was charged $40 per wheel to PC them... just shop around first...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would LOVE to get my stockers p. Coated.

Don't mean to be a hijacker to this thread but this is the look I want....
43eccd34-f42c-41b5.jpg
43eccd34-f43b-79f4.jpg
. Looks awesome!!!!

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
When you consider that those rims are going for approx $1200 for set with NO rubber, I'd seriously consider taking them at that price - regardless of the work needed...

As many of you know, I pretty much "stole" my rims & tires for $130 - for all 4 including the rubber, so I may be a tad biased... :thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Around here once you hit 20iches PC is $100. $500 is an ok deal I think. $799 4 Black Rims on ebay no tires. $500+$400- $900 PC SS rims with tires. You figure cheapest tires on eBay about $390- $400 for used tires in that size. $620 for 4 new Nankhangs.
Breakdown

Ebay
799.99 Rims
600.00 Tires

Craiglist
$500 Rims
$400 PC
Tires Free

Sounds like you found yourself a deal. :thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Not hijack but JR you were going to dip right??? and no pics or did I miss them!?

And camaro im with canary you could plastidip while you save money for Powder coat that would really make this a no brainer!
Check My Signature.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I havent done the dip plunge yet. A little busy lately. But when I do I will def. Post pics

sscamaro68327

Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks everyone for the info you've all been really helpful. I got a quote today for $115 per wheel for powder coating. I think i'm going to get them and im leaning toward polishing them and clear coating them with the por 15 clear coat.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Looks good man, I can't believe that those are the same wheels! :thumbsup:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Very nice. Tell us what exactly you used and what you did to get them looking like that. Maybe you'll inspire some of the rest of us with screwed up finish on the rims.

sscamaro68327

Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
The tires are p265/50R20. I did make out pretty well on the deal although getting them to look like that was very time consuming. I think eventually I will get them re clear coated or powder coated for ease of maintenance. But for now I was just looking for the cheapest solution and to get the rest of the year out of them before I take them off for the winter. These wheels as they are now cannot be used for the winter because I stripped off the ruined protective clear coat and polished and waxed the aluminum wheels. All I did was remove the clear coat with liquid aircraft stripper. You have to be careful to not get it on the tire. I didn't want to have to remove the tires and have to get them put back on and re balanced. What I did was brush on the aircraft stripper, wait like 10 min and then pressure washed the wheels. Here is the hard part. Sanding, sanding, and more sanding. There was still some remaining clear coat, corrosion and minor imperfections that had to be removed. I started with 320 and worked my way up to 1500 sandpaper. After that wash and dry the wheels. Next I bought a buffing wheel and compound kit for polishing metal. Made the wheels shine amazingly, and then I applied mothers mag wheel polish and protectant. I am defiantly happy with the final result!

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
very nice. came out great. do me a favor and let me know if you come across anymore. looking to possibly get a set myself.

:thumbsup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
gcacace1289 said:
very nice. came out great. do me a favor and let me know if you come across anymore. looking to possibly get a set myself.

:thumbsup:

Guys on ssowners are always gettin rid of their stockers. Set of ss wheels just posted for sale on ssowners site. $550

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher