SS motor in the Envoy?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Can it be done? And how hard would it be to do it? New tranny as well?

Hubby was thinking about putting the SS engine in my 03 Envoy, but I wasn't sure if it could be done.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I'm sure it can be done, but it's not gonna be cheap or easy.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
The general consensus is that it would be cheaper to sell the Voy and buy an SS.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:
I'm sure it can be done, but it's not gonna be cheap or easy.

It would be rough but possible. Somebody was swapping on here I forgot who it was hopefully they will see this.

A 6.0 in an XL probably going to need some suspension changes in there too. I would also think that getting an AWD set up would be a PITA!

Your looking at probably thousands over an SS for all the little crap needed. Instead of just selling the voy and buying one.

The only SS is a real one lol

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have considered an SS drivetrain swap into my Bravada in the future, but I would assume with all the random parts you would need, the best way to do it would be to buy a wrecked SSTB, and strip it of its goodies.
But then again, I think the Miata would be much more fun with an LS2.:thumbsup: Im sure it would be alot cheaper to swap into the Miata as well.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
The general consensus is that it would be cheaper to sell the Voy and buy an SS.

:iagree: Not worth the headache of doing that!! The SS are cheaper now if you want to just buy it on the side to have fun with some speed :biggrin:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
BO TIE SS said:

ItsOnVoy said:
:iagree: Not worth the headache of doing that!! The SS are cheaper now if you want to just buy it on the side to have fun with some speed :biggrin:

:iagree: It is a lot more complex then VHT on the signal covers getting too dark. :raspberry:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
:iagree: It is a lot more complex then VHT on the signal covers getting too dark. :raspberry:

:tongue:

I obviously would NOT be doing it by myself lol and it was just a thought. I honestly would rather get something a bit more "Made" to hotrod in. We just didn't know if it were possible, as we ran across a very decently priced engine/tranny. And decent as in less than $5k with about 27k miles

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well the benefit of the swap would be you'd have the extended truck with the SS powertrain. I mean, hey, you could haul lots of people/cargo and still go fast doing it :biggrin:

I don't want to know how much it would cost to do though :eek:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I know it doesn't help much with your question, but kind of along the same topic. I have thought it would be worthwhile to do a body swap onto an SS frame w/ drivetrain and electronics already in place. It would be worth watching for a totaled SS if that could be done with minimal interior work needed.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Regulator said:
I know it doesn't help much with your question, but kind of along the same topic. I have thought it would be worthwhile to do a body swap onto an SS frame w/ drivetrain and electronics already in place. It would be worth watching for a totaled SS if that could be done with minimal interior work needed.

Of course that would only work if she had a SWB. But she has a LWB.

I thought I remember reading that sections of the frame under hood had to be modified to fit a V8 from a I6..

VoyMom.. if you had a 5.3 V8, the swap would be alot easier, as I would imagine that alot of the electronics are very simalar.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Of course that would only work if she had a SWB. But she has a LWB.

Of course that is why I said "I know it doesn't help much with your question, but kind of along the same topic." But hey, thanks for pointing out what I already knew. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Make life simple buy a Camaro ZL1 I will trade you my SS for it, another Win win lol

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Regulator said:
Of course that is why I said "I know it doesn't help much with your question, but kind of along the same topic." But hey, thanks for pointing out what I already knew. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Sorry man, didnt mean to step on your toes. I caught your insinuation about the "not helping", but others might have missed it. This is the internet afterall, not everyone, including myself, reads every line word for word.. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Anyways, I coulda sworn that the 2wd Envoy Denali I looked at befor I bought my XUV had a 6.0. What, if any, are the physical diferences in the electronics from a 5.3 to a 6.0? Would it be a plug and play type of thing, with a bit of computer tweaking for fuel trims and the like, or would it be a lot more involved?

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
I would do it, just to do it.. because nobody else I know has done it. Kinda like back in the neo-chopper days a few years back; If you wanted one, you just bought the same thing as everyone else, except with small cosmetic changes and a new paint job. Who wants that cookie cutter crap?
Not me.. just because it's cheaper and easier won't dissuade me.

Just "buying an SS" will just make me feel like I'm unique.. like everyone else with an SS lol.

Heck no.
It may seem backwards to some, but a friend down here on the gulf coast is rolling in an SS.. that has been converted to look like a pre-2006 LS.. and it is awesome.
He may not look all "cool and fast".. but he's a true sleeper. Looks like a soccermom taxi.. 16" wheels, badging, and moulding.. and a roof rack.. not even fog lights in the fascia. Way to be the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing!

Only things that could give him away, is his exhaust tone, and stance.

Hell, if you want to do it, do it. That's Hot Rod Culture at it's best; when someone tells you why you shouldn't do it, and then you turn around and do it anyways and be different. :smile:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Tarnished has a point if you have the funds but really if your going to Do It then DO IT
Full bolt ons
.650 lift motha thumpa Cam
Efans
Yank 3200 stall
Port and polish
In an ideal world that would be my XL unrealistic, very possible,yes.
Now all I need is to get funds for MY ss for all those parts.lol

You have tinting skills a cam install..basically the same thing but with bolts.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Seen a SS motor put in a regular TB, unique but must have cost a bit:

[video=youtube;aX97DfTLJFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX97DfTLJFw[/video]
[video=youtube;zf2P8W6wKoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2P8W6wKoQ[/video]

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
It's not that hard to unleash a 5.3 already in an extended 360 if you need an ext, sold yours and bought 5.3 version. I'm actually amazed at how much hp and tq a 5.3 is capable of easily with off the shelf stuff.
For me, everything is about time. I don't care as much how much stuff costs, but I have so little time to spend.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
that first video is an envoy body...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Haha, I'm with Tarnished, "do it, just to do it"

May not be cheap, but it sure would be fun.

Just a couple of things to think about:
- your XL has the 8 1/2" rear diff, it will handle the 5.3, but not the 6 ltr, so the rear axle assembly needs to be upgraded.
- the Envoys are 4x4 trucks, the SS trucks are all wheel drive, Your transfer case will probably handle the 6 ltr, but the PCM programming will need changes (this is assuming, the SS PCM comes along with the motor).
- You may need a new (read custom) rear drive shaft to match the SS rear end
- motor mounts, tranny cross member are/may be different.

- a right foot that loves to "get into it" (I think this one's covered already :biggrin: )

- which makes me think of brakes......... the XL has upgraded brakes, but the SS is probably upgraded still.

- and the most important ........................ a great big grin :biggrin:

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Put a 5.3 in it, or sell it and buy the SS. But from what I recall from previous posts you need the extra seats....so we're back to the 5.3 and maybe some mods which will still be cheaper than an SS swap.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I think we may do it. But I have to get better first, so nothing will be done or really decided for another 6-8 weeks. And Tarnished! I love the way you think :smile:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Voymom said:
I think we may do it. But I have to get better first, so nothing will be done or really decided for another 6-8 weeks. And Tarnished! I love the way you think :smile:

You know if you really do this, you need to do a wright up on the build. I wanna see it done to an XL. :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Juicy K said:
You know if you really do this, you need to do a wright up on the build. I wanna see it done to an XL. :thumbsup:

Definitely!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
A 5.3 is baically a near identical LS2 I can think of a lot of parts for the ss that also fit directly to the .5.3 if built up properly you can give the 5.3 the life of the LS2 easyyy so I think you should do it and if not my zl1 offer still stands Haha

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:

Great minds think alike; and rebellious ones as well haha :smile:

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
the cheapest one i found!!!06' Chevy Trailblazer 3SS - $15000 (lincoln park)

Date: 2012-01-13, 11:10PM EST
Reply to: dbjee-2799030289@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
miles:72k
color: black
model: 3SS (fully loaded)
features: new tires, aftermarket brake pads & rotors, caliper covers
aesthetic upgrades: gloss black powder coated rims, all Chevy logos black, 20% window tint, Corvette & LS2 emblem on rear, Jake ZR1 Punisher logo affixed to steering wheel
sound system: stock Bose audio w/ custom built enclosure for a JL Audio 10in W7 sub and 500watt JL Audio monoblock class D amp
lighting: interior LED and exterior HID 6k headlights & fogs

asking 15k or best offer

973-277-9376

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2799030289

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Figured this thread was the best place to ask, had this idea for a while but never bothered to ask.

What are the actual differences between the 5.3 and 6.0 internals? As in could I bore out my 5.3 to 4" bore (SS size, same exact stroke) and put 4" pistons, then while I'm in there swap in a cam and some heads and essentially turn my 5.3 into a 6.0? Or are there more differences between the 2 motors? From what I've seen headers, intake manifold, TB, water pump, block, everything looks the same except the bore, pistons, and heads.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
fr34kout said:
Figured this thread was the best place to ask, had this idea for a while but never bothered to ask.

What are the actual differences between the 5.3 and 6.0 internals? As in could I bore out my 5.3 to 4" bore (SS size, same exact stroke) and put 4" pistons, then while I'm in there swap in a cam and some heads and essentially turn my 5.3 into a 6.0? Or are there more differences between the 2 motors? From what I've seen headers, intake manifold, TB, water pump, block, everything looks the same except the bore, pistons, and heads.

The LS2 is Aluminum, but other than that they are both gen3 small blocks, so I would think almost everything should be able to swap. I would hope gm left enough meat on the cylinders to bore it that big. But I am not 100% sure.:undecided:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
The 5.3 is 3.75" bore, 6.0 is 4.0" bore, so an extra 1/8" around. Should be enough room to do it (I hope)

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Juicy K said:
The LS2 is Aluminum, but other than that they are both gen3 small blocks, so I would think almost everything should be able to swap. I would hope gm left enough meat on the cylinders to bore it that big. But I am not 100% sure.:undecided:

So are ALL 5.3s put in our trucks, our platform is unique in this aspect as well. No iron block/aluminum head engines were ever a GM factory option in our trucks, only all aluminum.

I believe there are differences in heads as well, but you could easily stroke a 5.3 to a 6.0 and add a solid heads/cam package. Im honestly surprised more 5.3 guys havent done this, there are a few members on TBSSOwners that have. Although its usually easier and might be cheaper to slap a Maggie TVS1900 on a stock 5.3 and make as much power as a 6.0, dont have to tear into the engine besides replacing the intake and injectors.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Well my thought was, if I'm ever going to work on this engine I might as well get it to SS instead of starting with a 90 hp handicap. I look at it as all one time I can bore it, cam it, head swap it, and that will already be a pretty beefy engine, but even LATER down the line I could throw a maggie on it. I'd be doing most of this myself (probably have a machine shop bore and hone it, I'd do the rest) and I have free time to be doing it. It's just a matter of money, and I figure if I'm going to end up spending money on a cam and heads, I might as well bore it at the same time.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
max bore on the lh6 is 3.910" apparently

lh6 heads supposedly have a smaller intake valve. you can probably get some 243 (ls2) heads for cheap. a little p&p and you're good to go.

anyone can swap v8s, its easy. swapping a v8 into an i6 is not for amateurs.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:

lh6 heads supposedly have a smaller intake valve. you can probably get some 243 (ls2) heads for cheap. a little p&p and you're good to go.

Wonder if that has anything to do with the DOD/AFM parts in them?

Good info Jimmy, and heads arent too hard to come by haha!

I6 -> V8 is doable, much easier if the base I6 is an 02-05 before all the CAN stuff happened. Im working with a member now who has an LS1 he's putting into his 02-05 I6 with a rear end and built trans.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
jimmyjam said:

Isn't the block the same though? Could I bore it to 4.00" with the different heads, or the block just won't take more than 3.91? I remember seeing the 3.9 and I was wondering why SS was 4.00 if it was the same block lol. I'm kind of thinking if I'm going to swap the heads, might as well go with something better than the ls2 lol

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
fr34kout said:
Isn't the block the same though? Could I bore it to 4.00" with the different heads, or the block just won't take more than 3.91? I remember seeing the 3.9 and I was wondering why SS was 4.00 if it was the same block lol. I'm kind of thinking if I'm going to swap the heads, might as well go with something better than the ls2 lol

if it was an iron block you could bore the shit out of it. its not though, and the max bore is based on the sleeve thickness. if you want to resleeve it then you can go 4"+ but now you're talking money

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
So I'm kind of thinking if I'm going to build the engine, I might as well just save up and do it all one time, even though it's going to break the bank a little. Rather save up for a year or two to do it right then do it half ass and not get the results I want. I get what you're saying now about the sleeves, so now I'm thinking:

Resleeve to 6.2 size (think I have to bore to 4.362 to get the sleeve to fit), pistons, cam and cam kit, roller rocker arms, lifters, heads, intake manifold, and intake manifold. Probably looking in the 7k range, possibly more. This would be at minimum, 3 years from now. Although it would cost more than buying an 6.2 ls2, in my head it's almost all aftermarket performance parts and I should get a decent amount of hp over a regular 6.2. Make sense, or am I going crazy?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
fr34kout said:
So I'm kind of thinking if I'm going to build the engine, I might as well just save up and do it all one time, even though it's going to break the bank a little. Rather save up for a year or two to do it right then do it half ass and not get the results I want. I get what you're saying now about the sleeves, so now I'm thinking:

Resleeve to 6.2 size (think I have to bore to 4.362 to get the sleeve to fit), pistons, cam and cam kit, roller rocker arms, lifters, heads, intake manifold, and intake manifold. Probably looking in the 7k range, possibly more. This would be at minimum, 3 years from now. Although it would cost more than buying an 6.2 ls2, in my head it's almost all aftermarket performance parts and I should get a decent amount of hp over a regular 6.2. Make sense, or am I going crazy?

it would be cheaper to just get a used ls2 block or an iron block. $7k is optimistic, my longblock came in around 8.5k, including block but i paid 1k for the ls2 block where sleeving should cost you double that. and remember thats just a bare longblock, i easily spent another 3k on top of that. shortly thereafter you'll be buying a trans... then a rear diff...

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I have more than enough time to weigh my options while I save up for it, until then I'll consider what you said. Thanks for the advice man

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
Tarnished said:
I would do it, just to do it.. because nobody else I know has done it. Kinda like back in the neo-chopper days a few years back; If you wanted one, you just bought the same thing as everyone else, except with small cosmetic changes and a new paint job. Who wants that cookie cutter crap?
Not me.. just because it's cheaper and easier won't dissuade me.

Just "buying an SS" will just make me feel like I'm unique.. like everyone else with an SS lol.

Heck no.
It may seem backwards to some, but a friend down here on the gulf coast is rolling in an SS.. that has been converted to look like a pre-2006 LS.. and it is awesome.
He may not look all "cool and fast".. but he's a true sleeper. Looks like a soccermom taxi.. 16" wheels, badging, and moulding.. and a roof rack.. not even fog lights in the fascia. Way to be the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing!

Only things that could give him away, is his exhaust tone, and stance.

Hell, if you want to do it, do it. That's Hot Rod Culture at it's best; when someone tells you why you shouldn't do it, and then you turn around and do it anyways and be different. :smile:

I would love to know why anyone would ever downgrade the Brakes on an SS so they could run 16 inch wheels, seriously, what was your friend thinking, since 16 inch wheels will not fit on the front of an SS, due to the Brackets on the Discs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online