SS motor in the Envoy?

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
ScarabEpic22 said:
Im honestly surprised more 5.3 guys havent done this, there are a few members on TBSSOwners that have.

I'm suprised nobody seems to do anything to their 5.3's. I've yet to even see a 5.3 swb with a PCM tune. Given their massive potential and how inexpensive they are, nobody seems to do much to them.
 

fr34kout

Member
Jan 6, 2012
662
I just put in a 4" PCM Airbox intake, PCM Tune, made my own E Fan Kit, and 160 degree thermostat on my Denali (5.3 swb) if that makes you happy at all lol. There are a few of us out there
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
fr34kout said:
I just put in a 4" PCM Airbox intake, PCM Tune, made my own E Fan Kit, and 160 degree thermostat on my Denali (5.3 swb) if that makes you happy at all lol. There are a few of us out there

Put a thread together with your tune results. I'd be very interested.
 

fr34kout

Member
Jan 6, 2012
662
I never took a baseline dyno and don't think I will be putting it on one anytime soon either. Did it mainly for the hope in mpg increase (averaging around 12-13 right now, got about 1000 lbs worth of sounds in the car and I do a lot of city driving) but the hp increase was of course a factor too. It's a lot more responsive and pulls harder, but I don't know about actual rwhp gains unfortunately.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
fr34kout said:
I never took a baseline dyno and don't think I will be putting it on one anytime soon either. Did it mainly for the hope in mpg increase (averaging around 12-13 right now, got about 1000 lbs worth of sounds in the car and I do a lot of city driving) but the hp increase was of course a factor too. It's a lot more responsive and pulls harder, but I don't know about actual rwhp gains unfortunately.

Marshall at pcm4less mentioned around 20hp increase in a 5.3 on the dyno but that means nothing to me without some first hand knowledge from someone like you. My parents actually live in Hawaii on Oahu and their v6 minivan mileage is right around 12 given the extreme stop and go conditions. I have 2 of the 5.3 360's with completely identical set ups per my sig and one of them got a bunch of electrical components replaced including the PCM right as the b2b warranty was expiring (the dealer kept throwing parts at it until something worked). Both of the vehicles have similar mileage one just over 51k and the other just over 60k and the Rainier that got all the electrical work done feels like it has an extra cylinder in it after the work. It accelerates like an actual bat out of hell and the acceleration is silky smooth like a high end luxury car. The 9-7 on the other hand feels just like the Rainier pre-warranty work. Fastish with lots or torque on take off but not silky smooth and at highway speed won't accelerate to high speeds to pass as quick. My point is, it is as though the Rainier got what I dream a tune would be like. If you drove blindfolded you wouldn't guess they were identical set ups. Clearly the dealer did something with the new PCM the Rainier received given the dramatic performance increase. If indeed the Rainier unwittingly received a dealer tuned pcm, and those results are typical of a PCM4less tune, I would shout from the roof tops it is so dramatic. The down side is that the Rainier's mileage dropped along with the performance increase.
 

fr34kout

Member
Jan 6, 2012
662
Honestly I haven't driven it enough to notice subtle differences, but like I said I did notice that it pulls harder and the pedal is a lot more responsive. At highway speeds to pass, you may simply be right at the edge where you should be in 3rd gear for acceleration but the car keeps you in 4th. I haven't got a chance to test that kind of stuff yet, but I can tell you that I did notice quite a difference in the before and after and I would say it was worth the money. I would assume the results would be the same if not better than the PCM you got from the dealer, seeing as how they tune these engines pretty frequently and I'm sure they know how to make it drive better than the dealer knows how to
 

jimmyjam

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,634
Jkust said:
I'm suprised nobody seems to do anything to their 5.3's. I've yet to even see a 5.3 swb with a PCM tune. Given their massive potential and how inexpensive they are, nobody seems to do much to them.
There was a guy with a cammed and stalled denali that was pretty bad back in the day. however he got hit and the truck got totaled. He has a saab aero now
There is also someone with a turboed 5.3. possibly an sts kit or just custom
 

fr34kout

Member
Jan 6, 2012
662
There's also a thread I found on the OS of a guy from Kuwait running a House of Boost SC @ 10 lbs, meth injection, headers, cut out, ls2 TB doing 450+ at the wheels
 

MacMan

Member
Mar 3, 2012
194
BO TIE SS said:
The general consensus is that it would be cheaper to sell the Voy and buy an SS.
:iagree:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,404
Posts
638,881
Members
18,617
Latest member
m3talc0re

Members Online