SS Fog Light Bulbs

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I see either 880 or 893 as part numbers to replace the fog light bulb on a TBSS. Which one is it? I know the 893 is brighter, are there any heat or clearance problems?

I found a great discount coupon for Advance Auto Parts... $20 off $50, plus they have the cheapest Silverstar bulbs around. So it is worth replacing all of my bulbs. Silverstar Ultra for the headlights and Silverstar fogs.

Then I'll stop at AutoZone and pick up some Bosch Icon wipers, buy 1, get one half off. A little love for the SS, and some relief for my wallet.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
They are same P/N but two different wattage.

880ST = 27W = 565 Lumens, life = 100
893ST = 37.5W = 990 Lumens, life =100
-tbssOwners

Is that a private coupon because that is awesome
**edit just saw your post with the coupons. helping me out a lot ! Thanks

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
880 (Driver Side) SPECIFICATIONS:
Lamp Type HALOGEN
Volts 12
Watts 27
Avg. Life (hrs) 300
MOL (inches) 2.68

893 (Passenger Side)SPECIFICATIONS:
Lamp Type HALOGEN
Volts 12
Watts 37.5
Avg. Life (hrs) 200

Jimmy, I use these instead of the Silverstars. Our bumpers shake way too much (even with the stabilizer bars) and shorten the life of just about every bulb we have available. I've found the Silverstars to die very quickly under normal use, their fogs suck even more IMO.

I've been using these:
EUROLITE 893 12V 37.5W XB SERIES XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS (PAIR)- FREE SHIPPING
For a long time now and have had only to change one bulb a few years ago cause I got snow caught up in the housing. Xenon bulbs are much brighter than the halogen bulbs bar none, short of going HID, of course.

I've had no melting or overheating issues.

I use two 893's as it evens out the light across the road.

P.S. I also use their 9005/9006 version of headlight bulbs too...

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
harmless said:
880 (Driver Side) short of going HID, of course.

I've had no melting or overheating issues.

i agree with that... i have 880 HID fogs with zero melting or heating issues... however.. they are the 35W HID's, not the 55W.. a friend of mine (member SekolaX216 on here) installed 55W fogs in his TB.. and it absolutly melted his housing...

food for thought :coffee:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
I've found that as long as you stay UNDER 40W, we're good.

27W just isn't bright enough IMO. 37.5 seems good (and it's an OEM setting, soooo). :cool:

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
STLtrailbSS said:
**edit just saw your post with the coupons. helping me out a lot ! Thanks
No problem :thumbsup:

Well, I went with the 893 SilverStar bulbs... you guys posted while I was out shopping... :duh:

While I do drive in the early morning hours, it is not a long trip, so use will be minimal. One good thing about Florida is that the roads, for the most part, are very well kept, so that should minimize premature failure due to shock.

Now... where do I find that info about DRL killers? Last time I looked, I think the consensus was that if you used a DRL killer, it would also kill your perimeter lighting, or your automatic headlights... but things may have changed since that was a long time ago. I'm sure someone here will have the skinny.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jman423 said:
No problem :thumbsup:

Well, I went with the 893 SilverStar bulbs... you guys posted while I was out shopping... :duh:

While I do drive in the early morning hours, it is not a long trip, so use will be minimal. One good thing about Florida is that the roads, for the most part, are very well kept, so that should minimize premature failure due to shock.

Now... where do I find that info about DRL killers? Last time I looked, I think the consensus was that if you used a DRL killer, it would also kill your perimeter lighting, or your automatic headlights... but things may have changed since that was a long time ago. I'm sure someone here will have the skinny.

ahh yes.. plenty of news for the DRL killer... i think we have a thread here about it?? I have the DRL killer from TBlazed on the OS.. and with that DRL killer, i retained my auto headlight functions, but lost my "front" perimeter lighting, and of course DRL's... Jetttstream is widely known as well for his DRL killers... or i know there is a schematic out there to wire up your own with a basic relay from the parts store...

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Boricua SS said:
ahh yes.. plenty of news for the DRL killer... i think we have a thread here about it?? I have the DRL killer from TBlazed on the OS.. and with that DRL killer, i retained my auto headlight functions, but lost my "front" perimeter lighting, and of course DRL's... Jetttstream is widely known as well for his DRL killers... or i know there is a schematic out there to wire up your own with a basic relay from the parts store...

I think TBlazed made the one I researched last, and I really don't want to lose the perimeter lighting. Does the other version allow for the retention of auto headlights and perimeter lighting?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jman423 said:
I think TBlazed made the one I researched last, and I really don't want to lose the perimeter lighting. Does the other version allow for the retention of auto headlights and perimeter lighting?

not that i am aware of... my friend is an electrician, and he wired up his own DRL killer and he lost his perimeter lighting as well, but retained the auto headlights.. you still retain the rear perimeter lights (reverse lights), but you just lose the front... so its looking like a catch-22 for ya :frown:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
PICTURES when you get it all set up!

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Jman, you wont lose perimeter lighting completely, the reverse lights will still come on but the low beams wont. Maybe a DRL-Killer module or resistor mod keeps it, but its one of those things I dont mind losing and getting HIDs as a trade-off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.