Squirrel hides thousands of walnuts under the hood of Chevrolet Avalanche

azswiss

Original poster
May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Squirrel.JPG

Yellow-husked black walnuts crowded the insides of Bill Fischer’s truck. The foraged fare filled every vacant corner — packed tight behind the fenders, wedged between the engine parts, piled deep below the hood.

The Fargo, N.D., resident had returned from a four-day work trip earlier this month and anticipated the discovery. His neighbor’s walnut tree had just harvested, after all, and a furry visitor probably hoarded the round treasures somewhere safe — Fischer’s truck.

Since 2013, Fischer, 56, has dealt with the strange phenomenon every two years — the tree’s maturation cycle — and, without fail, a red squirrel selects Fischer’s Chevrolet Avalanche as its hideaway.

“I’ve got other vehicles that sit very close to that tree, and it’s always my truck,” Fischer said in an interview with The Washington Post. “I’ve even parked purposely out on the street — as far away as I can from the walnut tree — and they still go find the Avalanche and hide them in there.”

Attachments

• 1633051393887.png
    1633051393887.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I saw it on our news here. Also showed he had to remove the fenders. He still has some in the frame that he can't get out. That's nuts! Same thing happened to my MIL's Tempo years ago but not quite as bad. Damned squirrels!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It's a banner year for Black Walnuts, we have plenty of BW trees and they are raining down night and day, they are the messiest tress on the planet, spring,summer and fall (the wood sure makes nice gun stocks though). I told my neighbor that if he ever sees me cutting down the BW trees he will know that my wife has died (she's a tree hugger :biggrin: )...

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
It's a banner year for Black Walnuts, we have plenty of BW trees and they are raining down night and day, they are the messiest tress on the planet, spring,summer and fall (the wood sure makes nice gun stocks though). I told my neighbor that if he ever sees me cutting down the BW trees he will know that my wife has died (she's a tree hugger :biggrin: )...
Black Walnut trees are worth a fortune. My neighbor had a huge one, company came and took it down and paid him several thousand dollars for it.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Black Walnut trees are worth a fortune. My neighbor had a huge one, company came and took it down and paid him several thousand dollars for it.
That's what I always heard but, a few years ago I took two down and took them to a saw mill and they weren't interested, then a friend told me that they don't like yard trees as they often have hardware buried in them and they can trash their saw blade.
But, many mills now use band saws that can take a metal hit so maybe your neighbor was lucky and found one of those.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online