Squealing coming from front right wheel

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Looking for suggestions......

My truck has a squealing noise coming from the front right wheel. It is very similar to the sound that the brake wear indicator makes when the pads are worn.

Symptoms:
-Squealing is related to speed.
-Happens during acceleration, braking and turning left.
-Does not happen turning right.
-Happens in 4WD and 2WD.
-Happens in reverse also.

93,000 miles currently on the truck.
@50,000 Transfer case and Differentials fluids changed.

@ 91,000 Miles:
-New front right wheel bearing
-New front right CV Axle
-New front right sway bar link
-New 4WD Disconnect bearings
-New front rotors
-New front ceramic brake pads

Troubleshooting completed so far that has not changed the squealing:
-Switched brake pads from passenger side to driver side.
-Switched rotors from passenger side to driver side.
-Installed brand new semi-ceramic brake pads.
-Installed new brake hardware for the pads.
-Re-greased the tabs on the brake pads that touch the hardware.
-No visible signs of leaking anywhere inside front passenger wheel well.

Anyone got ideas? :helpme:

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
The first thing that pops into my head is the Heat/dust shield, those things are notorious for bending up against the rotor. pull the wheel and check to make sure it is not touching or a small rock had not jammed in there some where.
I forgot to list this but I did verify the dust shield was not causing the noise. Sadly, I am very familiar with that awful noise. Thanks!

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
ok, did you check the back plate on the brakes? if they are loose they will squeal and will need some brake grease or silicone between the brake pad and the plate. no debris anywhere around c/v axles or rotating parts? :undecided:
Backing plates was solidly adhered to the original pads and also the new pads I tried. No debris around the rotating parts.

I think I ruled out the rotors and pads by switching them between passenger and driver side. The noise didn't follow them and remained on the passenger side.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Was the sound there prior to the wheel bearing being replaced? If so, did the sound go away after changing it and then it came back? It may be possible that the wheel bearing is a lemon and is pooched.

I had replaced mine a while back and less then 1000 miles later, one of them had gone bad. I confirmed this by switching them around and the sound changed sides.

Reactions: CaptainKD

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Sound was not present prior to the wheel bearing replacement. There was no sound after the wheel bearing replacement for 2k miles / 2 months.

I will switch the wheel bearing from passenger to driver side to see if sound follows, I'll report the outcome this week. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

CaptainKD

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Turns out it was the REAR brakes that were completely worn out. :hissyfit: I kid you not that I would have bet the title to my truck that the noise was coming from the front passenger brakes! I was completely fooled. :dunce: It wasn't until I had the back seats down and all the windows rolled up did I hear sound coming from the back of the truck vs. the front.

Anyway, thank goodness that is done. 93,000 miles on original pads! :yes:

Here's the carnage that was my rear pads.....
View attachment 59311

Thanks to those that chimed in and gave suggestions. :grouphug:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online