Squeaky passenger front wheel?

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
My front wheel is making noise. I thought it sounded like a u joint but after reading a few posts it seems I don't have those in the wheels??

How do I diagnose this?

I have 160k and I am not the original owner. But I haven't had to do anything yet so it is all new to me.

2004 Envoy xl. 4x4

Thanks, Doug

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If the sound changes from driving straight to turning left or right, it is probably a wheel bearing going bad.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You do have CV shafts, and if a boot is torn, and the grease leaked out, one of them could be dry and squeaking. Or the inboard side of the passenger CV shaft goes into a bearing unit with an electrically-actuated disconnect. If that shaft wiggles up and down where it enters the disconnect (bolted to the oil pan) it's a very bad sign that you need to put in a new $500 unit. What's your DIY experience level?

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I had replaced front end suspension on my dodge ram many times.

It appears to have been a simpler set up but my intimidation could be unfamiliarity.

I was hoping to diagnose it so i could weigh costs. I would prefer doing it myself because I enjoy it but If it is a brutal job then I'll have to have it done. I recently had some new hardware installed in my neck!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm not far from you and some other guys aren't either. I'd be willing to give you a hand doing the jobs that you can't...but first things first. If you can follow Wooluf and Roadies suggestions to determine what the problem might be, we can create a plan of attack.

Is it actually a squeak or a "grinding" type noise?

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
My wife drove it today and didn't hear anything.

It occurs to me that we were on vacation in Hocking Hills. It is very similar to the smoky mountains; very curvy roads. so it is definately making noise on the turns. I'll jack it up tomorrow and inspect the boots.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online