Squeaking Brakes

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
I completed a brake job on the front of my 02 TB. After a few months, the brakes started squeaking. I did not use any anti squeak compound on the brake pads. I have done brake jobs on cars for 20 plus years and have never used the anti squeak compound. Until this brake job, I have never had the brakes squeak. Two questions: First, what causes the squeak. And, can I put the anti squeak compound on the pads or is another brake job in order?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
it may just be surface hardening on the brake pads. you can try taking them off and sanding them down a little. while you are down there you can try the anti-squeal as well. i'd give that a whirl first before trying different pads. also i'm assuming you lubed your slide pins well last time, i'd check those every time i'm down there.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
breaks squeaking can be caused buy lots of stuff dust on the rotors and pads, the cheaper pads can squeak because of the quality of there make and it can also be cause from over heating the pads and rotors and them getting hardened again. have you goin on and long dust dirt roads? did you buy the cheapest breaks?? have you been riding the breaks a lot??(going down hill with the breaks on for a long time or just having them on a lot)

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
I have towed an RV this year. I also towed with the original brakes. I noticed that the original brakes did not have the anti squeak compound on them. I did not buy the cheapest brake pads. I did noy buy the most expensive either.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I use brake caliper grease instead of the anti-squeal compounds, seems to work better and you always have some on hand. You might even be able to put a little on without even taking the brakes off and letting it work itself in.

Also did you bed your pads after installing?

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
I did bed my brakes in. I also used the same brand brakes on my 94 jimmy. No squeaks. I wil try skuffing the rotors and sanding the face of the pads. While the pads are out I will put some compound on the back of the pads. I am only out a little time.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Look around for a piece of rusted metal that may have fallen somewhere and is causing the squeak, that happened to me in the past. I've used a little grease on the sliding metal of the pads where they slide in the caliper too, basically anywhere metal rubs metal without getting anything on the pads or rotor of course.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.