Spun a bearing in the beaSSt!!! :(

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i can understand everyones point here... but i didnt buy the SS to "drive it like miss daisy".. you cant tell me that people from the 60's and 70's bought a camaro SS or a chevelle SS and didnt beat on it from time to time... SS is an american icon for GM... but to see everything thats happened in the past 3 weeks, i cant help but wonder how she will drive when i get her back...

like my brother said... if you saw my SS for sale, and were in the market for it, and saw the price tag of $20+k, then saw the car fax report and showeed the engine rebuild or new engine replaced.. would you buy it? i know i wouldnt spend that kind of money on anything that had an extensive amount of work done to it, collision or mechanical... my issue isnt so much of the work being done ( well maybe it is lol), but its this random tech that i know absolutely nothing about.. if its a rebuild, how do i know he's going to put everything back together within specs, etc... thats the more nerrve wrecking part... i dont know how many LSx motors this place has worked on, or have done full body off repairs on any platform... yes i know its going to be like brand new when i get it back.. but nothing is like factory.. this is exactly why i havent cashed in on the rock chip TSB... way too many horror stories on how the repairs dont match the factory paint and that things looked better untouched then they did fixed...

but lets not jump ahead of ourselves here... i still dont know the final outcome, or how they will go about fixing it.. meaning, im sure they dont have most of the machines to do the reapirs to the motor (machine the crank, heads, etc... ) so some of the work will be out sourced if its a rebuild.. but a new crate.. that would ease my mind more.. first thing is first.. i gotta get her back and drive her and see what she feels like... this could be a blessing in disguise, or this could turn into the biggest horror story in all my years of owning a vehicle...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I think you'll be fine. Are u always this uptight (lol)? Its ur ride and no matter what anyone says if u wanna get rid of ur beaSSt you'll get rid of it and if you decide to keep it well.....its ur decision man. Like I've said...I am gonna drive mine till the wheels fall off and depending what happens maybe put em back on and keep goin.....well ur wheels haven't fallen off yet...........

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
I'm getting the impression that the TBSS is out the door regardless of what happens. The only x factor is how the vehicle is repaired and how long he can convince himself it will be ok. Right now it seems likely it'll be out of his hands before winter. Not that I'd blame him.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:
I think you'll be fine. Are u always this uptight (lol)? Its ur ride and no matter what anyone says if u wanna get rid of ur beaSSt you'll get rid of it and if you decide to keep it well.....its ur decision man. Like I've said...I am gonna drive mine till the wheels fall off and depending what happens maybe put em back on and keep goin.....well ur wheels haven't fallen off yet...........

x2 :yes:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Just part it out! I call dibs on the crate engine! :raspberry:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well its not gone yet... like i said.. i just gotta drive it and see how she feels... my dad sure didnt reasure me though.. for the 2 years hes worked at this dealership, not once have they had a frame off complete engine tear down project... not that thats a bad thing... but people do forget things over time without repetition...

and parting it out was an option... with the mods in my garage, i could net an easy 1500 to 2k... would be some fun money on a new ride... but it was always in my head the day i bought her, to keep her forever... this is a huge wrench in those plans... but still not a deciding factor yet... if problems persist either the day i get her back, or a few months down the road... then yes, shes gone... but for now, shes still mine...

and i just got the word, im not getting a new crate motor... its going to a machine shop to get fixed, then a complete rebuild kit... so no new motor.. just like new...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Very sorry to hear this man, and I probably would have needed a change of boxers, and someone to restrain me if I walked in on that. I could understand the fenders, hood, rad support etc, but the entire body. Wow.

On the bright side, new machining and all of the components will give you a fresh overhaul, while it would be a great time to upgrade parts, I think funding is the reason alot of us do not have our vehicles to the level we really want.

I knew something sounded funny after an entire top end overhaul and it still had issues, I did not listen to the video so I never heard the sound. I will say though that anyone who has experienced a spun bearing, knows that sound and feeling through the drive train. Main reason I like a stethoscope for diagnoses, sounds can bounce making them seam to come from areas they aren't.

I would keep it man, I know the overly cautious feeling, but your love for the truck would return to normal soon. Good luck with this man, and keep us all updated.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Juan I for one wouldn't blame you if you got rid of it after getting it back. In the end of the day you know you car and seriously I don't think it'll be the way it ever was. That's why you need to sell it and get an l6 then lift it :biggrin: Whatever your decision is it's yours of course it's also your wallet!

I for one wouldn't be happy to my TB skinned to the bone for a rebuild. If it's not broken don't fix it. They've just potentially caused other problems. It's known generally (here at least).

You drop off your car at the mechanic. He fixes something and breaks something else in the process so you end up coming back a week later. I remember one of my earlier cars was a 1994 seat ibiza! Man I loved that car but just drove me crazy.

I literally picked up the car from the Garage and went straight to an auction. Got sold right there and then. The only thing I regretted was that I waited so long to sell it. I was fresh out of college and barely started work. too heavy on my pocket!

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
It's such a shitty situation, since it doesn't seem like ANY of this is his fault. While no "official" cause has been determined yet, a quick google search returned that a few of the main causes for a spun bearing are; lack of lubrication (low oil), or debris inside the block. Seeing as how he JUST left the dealership after an oil change when this noise developed, one has to wonder???? At the same time though, I've seen a few posts about over-revving when the engine is cold. Oil doesn't properly lubricate until it's warm, and he may not think so or like to hear this, but I've seen on more occasions than I can count, him getting in a cold truck, and taking off like a bat out of hell. :lipsrsealed:

Whatever cause this, it still sucks all the same. Having to walk away from your pride and joy is going to be tough. It's like you having to break up with your long time girlfriend because she cheated on you. You may still be madly in love with her, and never thought about not being together, you have to do what you have to do and walk away! Or.....if you chose to stay with her and try to trust her again, you're always going to have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind about her letting you down again. lol

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
JosueLT said:
At the same time though, I've seen a few posts about over-revving when the engine is cold. Oil doesn't properly lubricate until it's warm, and he may not think so or like to hear this, but I've seen on more occasions than I can count, him getting in a cold truck, and taking off like a bat out of hell. :lipsrsealed:
that'd be my guess. specifically after it had been sitting for six months, those bearings are bone dry. when i spun mine, in retrospect i remember when it happened (didn't realize it at the time) and i drove about 30 miles before it was really noticeable. so it could have spun and grabbed at that first start up but the damage is done.

people suuuurreee are being emotional in this thread.. mine spun out of warranty. get it rebuilt with a new crank and replace the rod that spun and it'll be good as new. matter of fact mine burned oil before the rebuild and after it didn't burn a drop so yeah it wasn't like it was before it was better. while its out throw a cam in there and move on with your life, bottom line is you're under warranty so you've got nothing to cry about.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea, its still uncertain of what caused the spun bearing.. I'm at the dealer now, and a GM rep is coming to asses the situation... so I just might get a new crate motor...

And no, there's nothing to cry about Jimmy, but there's a reason I bought the warranty (due to not having the money if something catostrophic like this happened) and it just paid for itself ten fold (luckily)...if this happened outta warranty, guarenteed the truck would sit for years to come until I could save up the money to even fix it back to stock form... I don't have the money or the know how that others do to upgrade or even fix the stock stuff.. I would love a cam/heads/LT headers/built trans/LS3/intake, etc... but I don't have the 8-12 grand laying around to do it all...hell, I don't even have $400 bux laying around to lower it like I've been wanting too... yes I understand you gotta pay to play, but in stock form, it still can't handle the power... your situation is a little different, you did the work on your own truck and had the money to build it up, to where I have to trust a complete stranger... so its a little nerve wrecking.. but I understand your statement... its just such a huge job that I never expected would happen to me...

I did get to talk to the tech working on my truck and I feel just about 100% better now.. he has 2 vettes of his own that he's built up and maintained, and is pretty much the northern tip of state go to guy for performance/vette work... so definetly reassuring there.. and he took the time to take off all my aftermarket things that were close to or tied to the frame... so I'm a little more at ease now..

So now its just a waiting game from GM... I'll report once I know what GM will do...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Here's a pic of the gouge in the crank shaft...

6b2d4ada-a18e-7a0d.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
JosueLT said:
At the same time though, I've seen a few posts about over-revving when the engine is cold. Oil doesn't properly lubricate until it's warm, and he may not think so or like to hear this, but I've seen on more occasions than I can count, him getting in a cold truck, and taking off like a bat out of hell. :lipsrsealed:

That's when my bearing spun on my old car. Ever since then I've been sure to wait until it is warmed up before I get too happy with the go pedal...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
That's when my bearing spun on my old car. Ever since then I've been sure to wait until it is warmed up before I get too happy with the go pedal...

Remote start every morning 5 min before I leave :cool:.

That does not look good. How did the block portion look, was the bearing journal messed up in any way, I would assume so. Keep everyone posted if you have any updates.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, im sure my lead foot might of had something to do with this... but not right after an oil change or coming out of storage.. hell, i only did 35 mph all the way to the dealership to get the oil change that day lol...

but i didnt get a chance to look at the block, so the next time i go back, i'll check it out...

another awesome side note... the service manager said i can come in on a saturday and paint/undercoat the undercarrige and the frame if i want... hmmmmm :undecided: what should i do :crackup:

im making a trip to the dealer saturday!!! lol

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
yea, im sure my lead foot might of had something to do with this... but not right after an oil change or coming out of storage.. hell, i only did 35 mph all the way to the dealership to get the oil change that day lol...

but i didnt get a chance to look at the block, so the next time i go back, i'll check it out...

another awesome side note... the service manager said i can come in on a saturday and paint/undercoat the undercarrige and the frame if i want... hmmmmm :undecided: what should i do :crackup:

im making a trip to the dealer saturday!!! lol

a semi body off restoration :thumbsup: i can see the resale value going up already
seriously, i feel for you to have to see it apart like that, i would be the same way :grouphug:

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
at least there is some good news coming from this :cool:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
fletch09 said:
a semi body off restoration :thumbsup: i can see the resale value going up already
seriously, i feel for you to have to see it apart like that, i would be the same way :grouphug:

even though she doesnt see snow... that sure would help the value in any way shape or form :crackup:

and on a side note... the service manager is pushing for a new motor... why?? ohhh.. just because hes as an '08 AWD SS!!! :rotfl: talk about a small world.... so he knows what im going through.. it was just funny talking to him.. he has a tune and other little mods too... lol.. small world..

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Black_tb said:
at least there is some good news coming from this :cool:

yes, i do feel alot better about things now... and the fact that he took the time to remove everything, instead of just ripping things off the frame while lifting the body up...

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
It's a nifty idea, but I wouldn't mess with the frame like that. Just because the body is off, doesn't mean you have 100% access to enough of the frame to do a thorough job. There's still a LOT of stuff attached to the frame that you'd have to paint around, and it will look like shit, or at least make you feel like you did a half ass job. lol

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
JosueLT said:
It's a nifty idea, but I wouldn't mess with the frame like that. Just because the body is off, doesn't mean you have 100% access to enough of the frame to do a thorough job. There's still a LOT of stuff attached to the frame that you'd have to paint around, and it will look like shit, or at least make you feel like you did a half ass job. lol

well the body is clean and free underneath.. i could do that lol... the whole back half of the truck is just exposed blue paint from the behind the front seats to the rear bumper... i could do that and just the front of the frame since thats totally exposed eh?

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Maybe the body, but the frame is still not totally exposed. There are still wires, lines, the suspension, tranny, etc.

Might just be me being anal, but if you don't have this to work with.......

104_1075.jpg

.....then it's a waste.

Just my opinion though. Or, you could wait another few years till I have my dream garage with a lift, and we'll tear it down to a skeleton. :rotfl:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i'll text you then for more details lol...

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
You can sand down all your grounding points. How fun would that Saturday BE!?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Remote start every morning 5 min before I leave :cool:.

That does not look good. How did the block portion look, was the bearing journal messed up in any way, I would assume so. Keep everyone posted if you have any updates.

I need to get my wife on this forum to read this post. We'd be in the car and I run the ignition then wait while she warms up.

Wife: what are you doing?
Me: umm warming up the car? :blinkhuh:
Wife: It's hot outside there's no need to warm it up. Put her in drive and let's go!
Me: That's irrelevent. Imagine sitting on the couch all day and you jump up and start running. You'd strain a muscle and hurt yourself.
Wife: This is a car not human, stop making excuses and let's go.
Me: ok dear :rolleyes::mad:

haha i've had that conversation like 5-6 times already mostly of course cuz my 7 month old daughter is yelling her brains out in the back seat and won't go quiet unless music is on loud and we're rolling lol!

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Same here...:hissyfit:

I swear the wife has the damn thing in "Drive" before the truck is done CRANKING OVER!

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
JosueLT said:
Same here...:hissyfit:

I swear the wife has the damn thing in "Drive" before the truck is done CRANKING OVER!

fadyasha said:
I need to get my wife on this forum to read this post. We'd be in the car and I run the ignition then wait while she warms up.

Wife: what are you doing?
Me: umm warming up the car? :blinkhuh:
Wife: It's hot outside there's no need to warm it up. Put her in drive and let's go!
Me: That's irrelevent. Imagine sitting on the couch all day and you jump up and start running. You'd strain a muscle and hurt yourself.
Wife: This is a car not human, stop making excuses and let's go.
Me: ok dear :rolleyes::mad:

haha i've had that conversation like 5-6 times already mostly of course cuz my 7 month old daughter is yelling her brains out in the back seat and won't go quiet unless music is on loud and we're rolling lol!

:rotfl:
I have to say my wife is totally the opposite of this. She will yell at me if I try to step on the gas to hard when the motor is cold :smile: She tells my I will damage the engine if I don't wait until its warmed up. I understand that and totally agree with her but don't let her know that :wink:

Its just that sometimes I get impatient and want to just go :raspberry:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
even though she doesnt see snow... that sure would help the value in any way shape or form :crackup:

and on a side note... the service manager is pushing for a new motor... why?? ohhh.. just because hes as an '08 AWD SS!!! :rotfl: talk about a small world.... so he knows what im going through.. it was just funny talking to him.. he has a tune and other little mods too... lol.. small world..

Did you tell him about this site? It would be great if we had an actual dealer presence here. I've been a member of sites that have an on page dealer, and its great asset to the community

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Me007gold said:
Did you tell him about this site? It would be great if we had an actual dealer presence here. I've been a member of sites that have an on page dealer, and its great asset to the community

:iagree:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Have not read the whole thread.. However, seeing the frame seperated from the body is common place anymore. Pretty much everything is getting to this point. They dont take motors out from the hood very much anymore due to paint damage, and insurance risks..

I would not have a problem seeing that. Is it something you want to see.. No.. But sometimes its just the way it goes. Go look at the service manual for ANY Ford truck or Van.. its pretty much a requirement to take it apart like they have on your SS. I havent done much reading on the rest of the GM vehicles.. But I can imagine the Diesels are the same way, and probly the V-8's.

It will be ok. Just take a deep breath, think about your new motor that will be like driving a brand new SS.

I would have no problems driving your SS after words. You might have to go thru afterwords and double check grounds, HID's, etc. But I would do that either way. The only mechanic I trust is my self. And since I cant work on cars anymore..

KEEP IT!!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
looks like others (wives) will be learning from this thread as well.. glad we could all help :crackup:

and Mike, I'll run it by him... i didnt mention it yet as i have only seen him 3 times...

and the overwhelmingness (if thats a word lol) has subsided Toll... it was just initial shock.. but after the talks with the tech, and seeing that this is the norm now and days... ive calmed down and just accepted things for what they are.. either she lasts me for 100k miles.. or she breaks again in a natter of weeks and i get rid of her...

and as for an update... its been a full month now.. no call today from the dealer.. so looks like I/They are still waiting for GM to come out... :hissyfit:

will post updates as they come...

jb2sslow

Apr 19, 2012
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but mine spun at 32k. Took the dealer a month to find a motor.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334963775388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334963775388.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 142
  • uploadfromtaptalk1334963833934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334963833934.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 141
  • uploadfromtaptalk1334963856430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334963856430.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 141

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
jb2sslow said:
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but mine spun at 32k. Took the dealer a month to find a motor.

ouch!!! they messed with your whole suspension... i guess it is easier to lift the body off the frame :rotfl:

and for everyone else who has been waiting on an update....

Talked to the dealership 2 days ago.... IM GETTING A NEW GM CRATE MOTOR!!!!!!!!!

the dealership convinced the GM rep that it was more logical to just get a new motor then repair my old one... so with that being said.... i will be keeping the SS!!!!!!!!!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
They should give you a LS9 for the wait + the pain and suffering from seeing your SS like that!!!!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
They should give you a LS9 for the wait + the pain and suffering from seeing your SS like that!!!!

i would take that, but then drive it fir a week.. and park it again for a blown tranny :crackup: but i am just happy to get the LS2 back.. this was all on the service manager and his assistant.. they pushed for this and foor me.. sure monney in labor probably played an issue so they could get the SS outta there and get more cars in, plus im sure the tech is happy too so he can get more work... but a huge :thumbsup: to the service guys... just goes to show you, that loyalty to a dealership, does pay off...

looks like the motor is coming in monday morning, and i should have her back by friday... should... key word there... so we'll see...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher