Springless VVT sprocket

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Hi All

I seems that someone has worked on this engine before (see thread on new vs old Oil pump)

The VVT is very different, it's still a Delphi part but it has a new part# and it has no spring. I pulled it and the intake sprockets so I could get the chain off and look at the guides and they look great, there doesn't appear to be any wear at all on them so I think someone has been in this engine recently and replaced the timing components and the oil pump. This is great! Less to replace.

Question: Are the bolts that hold these sprockets on TTY?

I read that the Harmonic Balancer bolt is TTY and that I shouldn't re-use it but I'm not seeing any listings for these things at Rock Auto, are these dealer only bolts or can I get them in some sort of Fel Pro engine rebuild gasket set?

Any help appreciated.

JayArr

Attachments

• PA070019.JPG
    PA070019.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PA070020.JPG
    PA070020.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 12
  • PA070021.JPG
    PA070021.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 11

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Question: Are the bolts that hold these sprockets on TTY?

Yes. They normally come with new phasers but I think it's a dealer only item. That being said, one did not come with my first rebuilt Delphi and I reused the old bolt.

Funny thing, the newer one from the 05 looks like the ones Dorman sell new, not rebuilt. There was probably a design change and probably work the same way. The older one the spring was internal.

The 03 motor looks almost to be a rebuilt or very low mileage unit with hardly any coked on oil compared to your 05.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
So, here's a hypothetical question... would you re-use the clean part from the 03 knowing it was later superceeded by a different design or would you clean up the high mileage one and use it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd use what came with the engine, the cleaner one. The dirtier one may also be dirty internally.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
That's what I'll do then.

Does anyone have a GM part number for the phaser bolt? I've been googling and searching but haven't found anywhere else to buy it.

I found the part number for the harmonic balancer bolt, a nice tech expert at Dorman gave it to me 11609792 (they don't sell them). Rock Auto does sell them but is currently out of stock.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing in GM online parts places? I'm on my phone so not easy searching here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Wow, Thanks!

I tried GM Parts Direct, GM Parts Online, GM Parts Now and OnlineGMParts.com they all came up blank searching on an 05 XL.

Note for others: If you search eBay using the 24100263 number Mooseman suggested you can find venders selling single bolts so you don't have to buy a 5 pack from GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I Google searched on the forum and found the cam bolt in @MRRSM 's giant rebuild thread. And using that number, found that diagram showing the other bolt and voilà, phaser bolt part number. And did it on my phone too.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
--^-- +1

CAMPHASERBOLT.jpeg

CAMPHASERBOLT1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads