speedo problem

Off Road Bella

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
New to this site, so here is my first question.

My speedometer is out, how should i check it? thanks for your time in answering, I just think this website is great, I am learning so much about my blazer its very much exciting.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Radar or GPS???

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Have you checked your speedo cable? I would check that first.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I thought 97 S-10's have an output speed sensor at the back of the transfer case on a 4x4? If the check engine light is not on for a speed sensor code, and you can check with a scan tool that MPH is registering, then the problem is probably in the cluster.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Simon01 said:
I thought 97 S-10's have an output speed sensor at the back of the transfer case on a 4x4? If the check engine light is not on for a speed sensor code, and you can check with a scan tool that MPH is registering, then the problem is probably in the cluster.

You are probably right, I haven't worked on an S10 in a while.

bigytwotone said:
hello every one i have been helping this lady out with her truck and was just woundering if it was her gauge cluster would we be able to just get one from a junk yard and swap???

If it is the gauge cluster it would work. Do you have an OBDII that can read the signal from the speedometer sensor?

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
bigytwotone said:
hello every one i have been helping this lady out with her truck and was just woundering if it was her gauge cluster would we be able to just get one from a junk yard and swap???

I think you can just swap the cluster. Just make sure the one you get comes from a vehicle with the same trans (manual or auto). I think the manual trans clusters had the PRNDL omitted.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you get it resolved or are you still working on it?

Off Road Bella

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I am working on it, will let you know what I found out, I am learning all I can about my blazer and let me tell you, theres a lot to learn, also have to give bigytwotone kudos, as he and his dad have been helping me with my blazer as well, very much appreciated.

Off Road Bella

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
On Friday, I compared the GPS to the Speedometer and it is registering the same speed on both. It is working fine, now just need to find out why I am burning Rad fluid so quickly, that is my next issue.

Brian@work

Dec 5, 2011
On my 98 S-10 the intake manifold gasket started leaking and caused it to almost drink anti freeze before I replaced it. It was leaking right under where the AC compressor mounts and running down the front of the motor while it was running. I've heard of it leaking to the inside of the motor and destroying it but I was fortunate. Can you smell hot anti freeze while the vehicle is running? Have you checked your oil to see if it looks like it should? The other place to look is the weep hole on the water pump, usually it will leave a puddle when it's parked.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online