SOLVED! Sparkplugs issue no code

Dreccomel

Original poster
May 14, 2016
NY
Hello to all...
I took off the throttle body to clean it and since I don't have an adapter for the bolts I had to remove the coils right in front of it and this is what I found:
20190329_194855.jpg20190329_194911.jpg
The first image is the 3rd spark plug well and the second image is the 4th spark plug well. I found this by accident and the discoloration is concerning.

What does it mean and what do I need to do if anything? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Looks like water got in once or three times. Common for the cylinder under/near the edge of the wiper cowl.

Honestly I can't remember if people replace the coil body gasket or what to fix it...

Reactions: Dreccomel

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be coil #4 that usually gets a water leak. Not sure if the gasket is available separately but you could replace the whole coil.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Remove and clean the coil gasket - it's probably dry-rotted to a degree. I wash mine in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. When reinstalling, use dielectric grease or vaseline on the gaskets. These gaskets are good - but not great. There's a TSB (maybe a recall too, I don't know) for the coil to hood gasket to help prevent water from getting on top of the engine in that location. Also, use dielectric grease on the bolt through the coil to help prevent water getting in that way.
You might also want to pull the coil-over-plug "spring" connector thing (dunno the right term at the moment) that goes from the coil to the plug and check/clean it - then use dielectric grease when reinstalling.

Reactions: mrrsm and Dreccomel

tak13

Apr 2, 2019
NH
The TSB for the water in plug #4 is 06-06-04-048B. I guess the condition is aggravated when it's parked "nose down" on an incline (when wet/raining). The solution is to install a "new" gasket (25788476), which redirects the water away from that area of the engine.

I haven't done it myself, but from pictures I have seen and other comments, it's the SAME gasket - just with a strip of foam insulation (the kind you can get at big box stores) tacked to the center of the gasket. The added insulation strip pushes the center section of the gasket up so the water gets redirected more to the sides before going down.

I have read some just buy some insulation to attach, either to the gasket or the cowl piece underneath, and have had success.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I attached some foam weatherstrip under the hood gasket, and never had a problem since. Just replaced all six plugs and there wasn't a hint of water (or oil) in any of the spark plug holes.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As per @TequilaWarrior...

Dreccomel

Original poster
May 14, 2016
NY
Thank you all...

I was able to fix the problem once all the advice was taken into consideration. Sorry for the delayed response, I had to wait a few days in order to get all the necessary pieces. The molding suggestions work great... all I had to do was clean under the original molding with a small broom and alcohol. I let it air dry and then I applied the new molding just under the original factory molding. I had to replace the ignition coils (# 4; 5; & 6) because of water damage. Since I got a good deal on the ignition coils on Amazon ($100 USD) I ended up replacing all of them. I still have the other three, which I keep in case I have to replace one in thr future. I also changed all spark plugs as advised and I got to say my truck is running nicely now.

Thank you all for the advice and the help provided. You all save me a lot of money (which I don't have) but more importantly my truck is working great again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the update. It's always good to get closure on an issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online