Spark plug condition at 84K

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I changed out the original set of platinums at 80K and they were fairly worn. I replaced with the iridiums and figured I would perform some prevent and picked up a set this morning. I am actually surprised to see how little they have worn and am deciding on returning them. I know I will need them but I can save about $15 if I wait and order online.

Here's #1 and so far the next 2 look the same. Gap on old plug is .460.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I'm confused, you say you installed the plugs at 80K, and your title says your at 84K now? So you have 4K miles on iridiums and are considering replacing them? If I'm reading the post correctly your plugs are essentially brand new.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
When I replaced my original plugs in 2006, I replaced them with the Delco platinums (back then, that was still ok because the truck CAME with the platinums in 2002). I just pulled the plugs last week when I was working on the engine and with 65000 miles on them, they look brand new! I couldnt detect much if any wear at all.

But I did buy the 41-103 Iridiums last week for $2.xx each :biggrin: with an AAP discount code and the Ac-Delco mail in rebate! Maybe Ill swap them out just to see if I notice any difference between the delco platinums and delco iridiums.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
SBUBandit said:
I'm confused, you say you installed the plugs at 80K, and your title says your at 84K now? So you have 4K miles on iridiums and are considering replacing them? If I'm reading the post correctly your plugs are essentially brand new.

Sorry, should have stated 84K on the iridiums....164K total.

I went ahead and swapped them since I want to know for certain if the new tires next week will hurt MPG. I could go by the plugs I have now but this way I have one more base covered. Despite looking good for old plugs, she popped to life cold on the 2nd compression......that was not the case before.:no:

I was meaning to check the compression as well but remembered while I was reattaching the #6 coil :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online