Spark plug 7 oil fowled

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Is there any way to verify it's a bad piston ring? It was definitely oil covered and I am definitely burning oil. Its piston 7 and not that it matters for that one I think but DOD is tuned out. It's a 06 5m3 lh6 motor also. Thank you in advance

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Oil on the spark plug doesn't necessarily mean that a piston ring is bad/broken. Just to clarify... When you say oil on the spark plug, do you mean on top of the spark plug before you removed it or was there oil on the threads and electrode? I assume you mean on the electrode and threads, since you said it was fouled.

Do you have pictures of that spark plug that you could show us and do you have a scanner?

Here's a two great videos from Denso and Motor Week explaining a lot of reasons that a spark plug could be fouled. Motor Week's video is a little more detailed.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
I want to say threads but I cant remember. I was rushing trying to broken bolts out of my head and fabricate my y pipe to take cats. I can take pictures after work and post them. Thank you for replying to another thread maverick

Want to add I just watched and I didn't take the time to study the plug like I should have probably but want to point out my plug was covered in wet oil also so was the spark plug wire

Last edited:
Reactions: Maverick6587

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
You're in luck. That electrode is *not* fouled. You most likely have a slight gasket leak allowing oil to seep in to the plug well. As you pulled the plug, it was able to work it's way down the threads.

Granted, that means you have to figure out if the gasket is compressed or the intake is loose, but that may turn out to be easier to deal with than stuck or damaged valves or seats.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: Maverick6587

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
You're in luck. That electrode is *not* fouled. You most likely have a slight gasket leak allowing oil to seep in to the plug well. As you pulled the plug, it was able to work it's way down the threads.

Granted, that means you have to figure out if the gasket is compressed or the intake is loose, but that may turn out to be easier to deal with than stuck or damaged valves or seats.

Good Luck!

Chris
Sorry might be a dumb question but when you say intake you dont by chance mean intake manifold or CAI do you

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Since you said Plug #7, I assume we are talking V8, which would mean the valve cover gasket

Reactions: christo829

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Well I forgot I replaced the gasket less than a year ago and couldn't see any tears so I'm hoping it was pinched, loose, or something along those lines

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online