Spare wheel

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I'm not too sure I'd trust my spare wheel any more do to its rust/rot. I'm going to try and wire wheel it but I think its too far gone. (gotta love New England)

here are my Q's

will the aluminum 02 spare wheels work with the 17's I have?

Would I be asking for bead leaks that you get on aluminum wheels, and be better off getting a steal wheel from down south.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have 17's as your regular rolling stock, stick to a 17" spare. It could be a problem if you install it on the rear axle or using 4x4 if one wheel is smaller.

Aluminum would be fine and is less susceptible to corrosion than steel.

I have never seen a wheel so rusted that it could be used anymore. Have it checked by a tire shop when you replace the tire. Maybe just some wire wheel work and paint might be enough.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
did the 360's with 16" wheels have the same spare as the 17" ers i'm not finding different listings.

also were there 02's with 17's?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All EXT and V8 trucks had the 17" (exception for the 9-7x (18") and SS (20")) as they had to clear the larger front brakes. Some of the SWB trucks did get 17" as an option. AFAIK, if you have 17" wheels, your spare is a 17" steel wheel. Mind you, my '07 is an LS with 17" wheels but the spare is a funky looking steel 16" with a tire sized to match the diameter of the others on the truck. This may be a later change done as a cost saving. On my '02 EXT, it had a regular steel 17" spare with same sized tire.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
02 depended on your model. My LTZ came with stock 17's.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
All EXT and V8 trucks had the 17" (exception for the 9-7x (18") and SS (20")) as they had to clear the larger front brakes. Some of the SWB trucks did get 17" as an option. AFAIK, if you have 17" wheels, your spare is a 17" steel wheel. Mind you, my '07 is an LS with 17" wheels but the spare is a funky looking steel 16" with a tire sized to match the diameter of the others on the truck. This may be a later change done as a cost saving. On my '02 EXT, it had a regular steel 17" spare with same sized tire.

My 17" steel spare was so rusted that it wouldn't hold air any more. It's now a fire pit in my back yard. I figured that since I've got AWD and literally no one that I've had do tire rotations ever bothered to ask about the spare that it's pointless to worry about now. I carry a patch kit anyway. If I get a repairable flat, that's what I'll do. If it's not repairable, I'm likely getting towed any way. If I spot a 17" wheel in a junkyard I'll try and source a matching tire (wearwise as well) and get it hung and do proper rotations with it myself. Until then, I'm driving without a net so to speak - well, unless the repair kit counts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A lots of vehicles now come without a spare and just a Slime inflator, either the can or compressor, all in the name of saving weight and money. And there's the Run-Flat tires.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, it's a 17" with the usual 245 65R17 (29.5" diameter), which is practically the same diameter as the Saab's 255 55R18 (29"). That's why I used the 17" wheels for winter tires on it.

Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online