Spare Tire - Secondary Latch

PAK-14

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Hey Guys,

New to the site. I was changing my rear dif fluid this weekend and wanted to remove the spare tire to have more room to move around. After 10 minutes of fighting with the secondary latch I gave up with removing the spare and just changed the fluid. (thanks for all the "how to" posts both here & youtube - MAY03LT for video's are awesome !!) This weekend I'd like to get this secondary latch thing fixed so if I ever need the spare I can get it off. I've seen one video on youtube that shows what the problem is (rusty latch??) but wanted to ask if anyone has any time saving ideas on how to get the spare off. Once I get if off what should I put on the latch so it won't get stuck again....? Sorry if this has been covered already.....again new to the site.

Thanks

Phil

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Many owners find the corrosion to be so bad they have to cut it off and replace the winch assembly. So many owners have been towed after a flat tire if they can't drop the spare, that on the OS we started recommending a preventive winch test and regreasing once or twice a year. I swear the design team GM put on this platform was a bunch of college interns with inadequate adult supervision. Made a lot of noob mistakes.

2001FZ1

Dec 27, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:

There's a how-to in your owners manual page 5-71 for getting the SLS freed.

Spray the secondary latch system with a lithium grease and make sure all the parts move freely.

This is the number one example of why I will never buy another GM vehicle and I have bought 8 of them in the past. GM knew the design of the latch system was messed up so instead of fixing the design, the wrote some directions in the manual about a possible way to get the latch to release. My Buick, my old silverado and my brother's suburban all have the problem of not being able to get the latch to release. Get a flat, call a tow truck.

other examples of recent GM design flaws:
1. steering shaft knock on the '08 malibu. GM's cure is grease it every few months (which requires removing it).
2. Doors seals rubbing paint on the '08 malibu causing scratches which will lead to bar metal and rust. GM's cure is to make more the exact same way.
3. Chevy Cobalt. The entire car is a flaw.

I just helped my mom buy a new Honda Civic 2 weeks ago. Drove a Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Nissan and Honda fit. We didn't even bother stopping at the Chevy dealer. The Cruze is too new and GM is long known for screwing up the first year of production on new models.

The F-150 with the turbo will be my next truck.

PAK-14

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't
heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

There's a how-to in your owners manual page 5-71 for getting the SLS freed.

Spray the secondary latch system with a lithium grease and make sure all the parts move freely.

I tried the manual up-down thing right away. I must have some rust or something keeping the latch from moving correctly. I'm going to try something I saw on youtube tomorrow. If it works I'll post what I did. Thanks...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Well, if we ignore the rant in post #4, I'll pass along my solution.

I was able to use 2 jacks (our scissors jack and a screw jack, but 2 scissors will work), I placed then under the tire (left and right sides) and lifted the tire to free the bar that holds the tire.
I was able to move the bar to the side and push one end up through the hole in the tire, followed by the bar.

Getting the tire off the jacks is the tricky part, be careful.

When tire is out of the way, the completed assembly can be removed to relub.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Just quit using mine in October and it still worked smooth the last time I winched it down, Thought about taking the tire winch off as I'll never use it again.

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
Another "What were they thinking?" item on the spare tire is designing it so the valve stem is on top. I went ahead and flipped my spare over and to heck with the secondary latch.

corky

Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
After reading this post I guess I should go out side when it quits raining and see if mine works. Sure would suck to have a perfectly good spare and not be able to use it.
:mad:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The secondary lock was added after a lot of spares (all makes) were falling off due to rusted cables. Although they were replaced with stainless steel cables, some added a secondary lock to cover their legal butts. The cables on our trucks are plenty stout and stainless so we don't need the secondary lock. Just flip the spare with the valve down and the secondary lock will not engage. Mine has been like this since July, no issues.

My 2008 Montana does not even have a secondary lock.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
This is the number one example of why I will never buy another GM vehicle and I have bought 8 of them in the past.

Was that decission made before or after you got a new shinny "12". Is the Rannier #8? :smile:

Wait a minute, 2012 Rannier?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
jbones said:
Was that decission made made before or after you got a new shinny "12". Is the Rannier #8? :smile:

Wait a minute, 2012 Rannier?

Some people talk just to hear themselves talk apparently! :no: I find it amusing that a spare tire safety latch turns him off of the entire brand!

Silverclean was having issues getting his spare tire to drop. I stuffed jack stands under the tire so that we could drop the cable until the weight of the tire was off it and it was hanging on the safety latch. at that point it took about 45 seconds of prying at the latch mechanism with a flat head screwdriver and I was able to release it and have it drop freely.

We removed it entirely as he doesn't want to run the spare under there anymore. I believe he may not be opposed to selling the winch should someone make him an offer.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
2001FZ1 said:
The F-150 with the turbo will be my next truck.

For a spare tire, that's fixable? Well I know one thing My SS is gone the minute I have to change a wiper blade UNACCEPTABLE GM! Fords dont have problems like windshield wiper wear! I will show them. c'mon man!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
For a spare tire, that's fixable? Well I know one thing My SS is gone the minute I have to change a wiper blade UNACCEPTABLE GM! Fords dont have problems like windshield wiper wear! I will show them. c'mon man!

He he. Thas funny!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Why bother with the grinding? Just flip the spare valve down. Other benefit is you can check the pressure without having to lower it. What I did do though is grease the entire cable.

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
Hey guys

My 03 TBLS has 235000km so about 130 000 miles - I doubt the person(s) who owned this TB previously ever took / checked the spare tire. I feel this way because there were a ton of little fixes to be done on this when I bought it but that's why I likely got it for the price I did! I don't mid fixing the little things as it feels good to do something for yourself and not pay a freakin fortune at the dealer. So this brings me to the spare tire issue - I was changing the oil today as I am about to take a trip (1000 miles one way) next week and I was thinking that I should probably check the spare tire pressure. I went to check the the tire pressure and low and behold - won't budge- crank turns, wheel stays up in place. So is it just the secondary lock or is the cable likely gone /ceased or rusted too bad too? If I have to cut the cable, where is the best place to get at it? I saw the video on you tube for the secondary latch and I'll probably just flip the tire in the future if that's the problem so It just doesn't engage in the future.

Any thoughts?:undecided: Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
DJones said:
:deadhorse: Back on topic, I took a grinding wheel to my secondary latch. Never a problem since.

Hilarious!!!!!! - love the :deadhorse:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It actually should have been :offtopic::hijack:

From what I have read, all have been issues with the secondary lock. First try the method explained in the owner's manual, then try the one in this thread with the jackstands. I've also read some just kick the crap out of it until it lets go. Maybe going through one of the holes in the spare to the mechanism and prying will work. Found this video (dunno if it's the same as the one you saw) but it explains how it works and how it jams very well.
[video=youtube;qhZ2LP7nfLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZ2LP7nfLU[/video]

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
Yep, got the tire off.
Tried to be careful but after about 45 minutes decided to smash the crap out of it:hissyfit:!! Worked great. Got it free and the tire off but it would only come down about 6 or 7 inches. Used two jacks to support the tire and fed the holder through. Took the whole mechanism off the TB, cleaned it up and tried to work the cable free. The cable was actually really chewed up inside for some reason. Now I'm looking for a new/used mechanism. Not sure what they're worth but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I check all the wreckers and Auto parts stores. Might have to check ebay too.
Anyways thanks for the video link and the suggestions.

Scott

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
The owner's manual says something about putting a jack under it to release the latch. I hope were not the only ones who have to remove the spare like that.

Good thing you got it off!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
sawicksted said:
Yep, got the tire off.
Tried to be careful but after about 45 minutes decided to smash the crap out of it:hissyfit:!! Worked great. Got it free and the tire off but it would only come down about 6 or 7 inches. Used two jacks to support the tire and fed the holder through. Took the whole mechanism off the TB, cleaned it up and tried to work the cable free. The cable was actually really chewed up inside for some reason. Now I'm looking for a new/used mechanism. Not sure what they're worth but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I check all the wreckers and Auto parts stores. Might have to check ebay too.
Anyways thanks for the video link and the suggestions.

Scott

Sell u mine. Its fine. Regulator helped me take mine off. Pm me if interested.

sawicksted

Dec 7, 2011
Was wondering if anyone knew of any other vehicles that have the same mechanism - so I could just swap it out. I am assuming the Buick Rainer but was wondering about the canyon, or any other chev trucks / suvs that are the same. Just in case I can't find a trailblazer at the wreckers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Scott

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
silvernclean said:
Sell u mine. Its fine. Regulator helped me take mine off. Pm me if interested.

I am discovering that if you want the parts to still be useable after being removed then you better have me help! Your track record speaks for itself. :raspberry:

sawicksted said:
Was wondering if anyone knew of any other vehicles that have the same mechanism - so I could just swap it out. I am assuming the Buick Rainer but was wondering about the canyon, or any other chev trucks / suvs that are the same. Just in case I can't find a trailblazer at the wreckers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Scott

All of the GMT-360's use the same mechanism.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
I am discovering that if you want the parts to still be useable after being removed then you better have me help! Your track record speaks for itself. :raspberry:.

Lol patience is not a good virtue of mine....:tongue:

Indybp57

Jan 9, 2012
sawicksted said:
Hey guys

........ I went to check the the tire pressure and low and behold - won't budge- crank turns, wheel stays up in place. So is it just the secondary lock or is the cable likely gone /ceased or rusted too bad too? ...

Any thoughts?:undecided: Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

My experience is if the secondary latch is stuck, the tire will drop a couple inches and hang loose. I was able to crank it back up and it released the second time. If it doesn't drop at all it is probably the winch/cable. Whenever I have it down I lubricate the latch with penetrating oil and make sure it is working freely.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The owners manual recommends the first thing to try is cranking it up so the release mechanism in the winder clicks a couple of times. Failing that use a jack to push the tire up with the cable cranked down and hanging free.

I posted previously that the last time I went to drop my spare I started by first cranking it up a couple of clicks and then it dropped perfectly. The time before it didn't want to drop and I decided not to spend too much time on it. The first time it was stuck and I needed my floor jack.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When I got my TB the secondary latch was so seized and rusted that even a pair of channel locks wouldn't bust it free when I ripped it off the vehicle. The cable was also all messed up in the reel btw, probably from the previous owner trying to just get it down by spinning it a lot and getting it bunched up. Anyway, I replaced it with a new one and it's been fine since. I sprayed the new one down with lithium grease when I got it, and so far every time I check it the latch hasn't had even a speck of surface rust anywhere. So far, so good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online