Spare tire hoist recommendations/reviews

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just found out from their newsletter, they now have spare tire hoists for our trucks. It supposedly has an anti corrosion coating but I wonder if they fixed the rust problems with the secondary lock? Maybe I'll email them to find out.

Dorman Products - 924-509

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
$77 at Rockauto. $100 on Ebay! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

smt 59

Correct me if I am wrong but is this not covered under warranty no matter how old the truck is as per DOT regulations. I believe it is so I Canada.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
moose, if the pic is of the actual item, it doesn't look there is a secondary latch. It looks like just a spring to keep tension on it when you tighten the cable and bring the wheel up.

I like it. A no-nonsense (read: no bs) way to do it.

smt 59

the roadie said:
I'd be astonished if this was true. A quick Googling didn't show a reference. Can you look into it further?

Hey Roadie, just spoke with my contact at the GM dealership and he tells me it is policy to replace if it fails and customer complains. But if it fails due to no maintenance then the customer pays. No bulletins or recalls noted.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is the response I got from Dorman:

Thanks for your inquiry. Sorry we do not produce any hoists or their parts.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:05 PM
To: Techline Marketing
Subject: Dorman 924-509 - Spare Tire Hoists

Good day,

Just saw that this is now available. The description mentions that it is coated to prevent corrosion. The main problem with the originals is the secondary latch failing to release due to corrosion. Has this been addressed with this hoist? The only way I can see that this can be prevented is by making the secondary latch out of stainless steel.

Thanks.

I did put THEIR part number in the subject line. :duh:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Mooseman said:
This is the response I got from Dorman:

Thanks for your inquiry. Sorry we do not produce any hoists or their parts.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:05 PM
To: Techline Marketing
Subject: Dorman 924-509 - Spare Tire Hoists

Good day,

Just saw that this is now available. The description mentions that it is coated to prevent corrosion. The main problem with the originals is the secondary latch failing to release due to corrosion. Has this been addressed with this hoist? The only way I can see that this can be prevented is by making the secondary latch out of stainless steel.

Thanks.

I did put THEIR part number in the subject line. :duh:
Looks like their lawyers got to them first:lipsrsealed:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Why would Dorman post a page with a part number and a picture with applicable fitments? Could the person on the other end just be incompetent? I hope so otherwise Dorman loses a point in my book.

Answers!:mad:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I replied with a link to their page about it. Should be interesting :cool:

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
in for results as ours has been removed since week 2 of ownership.:popcorn:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OK guys, just hang on a bit as I have just been contacted by someone from Dorman's new product development group via PM. So hopefully I can get some good info directly from the horse's mouth.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Alright, here's the 411 on this hoist. They have made improvements as follows:

1. Cable spool is packed with weather proof grease to resist corrosion.
2. The secondary latch has been eliminated to address jamming issue.
3. The cable end was switched to alloy instead of original steel to prevent spare tire loss due to rusted cable end.

Sounds like a solid part to me. On top of that, they are sending me a sample for me to provide feedback on. Now until things thaw a bit around here :redface:, I won't be able to install it but will provide feedback on the hoist itself.

Oh and I asked how he found this thread, his reply:

I regularly search vehicle forums I.E. Toyota Nation, GMT Nation, The Diesel Garage, Dodge Talk, etc. for product ideas and feedback.

Hmmm, no mention of TrailVoy :raspberry:

So we are being watched for ideas. :lightbulb:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Please keep us updated!

I think their product improvements are good enough that I might just refit this preemptively.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well that's pretty awesome. Would have been nice if it was available when I replaced mine 3 years ago, but oh well! So far so good on my current one...

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
I haven't used mine ever so it's been 8 years. If this gets the thumbs up I'm buying this and also going to probably need to put a new tire on the spare wheel.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
xtitan1 said:
I haven't used mine ever so it's been 8 years. If this gets the thumbs up I'm buying this and also going to probably need to put a new tire on the spare wheel.

I would test yours out before you really need it. I made that mistake the first time I got a flat tire, at night. What a pain in the a$$.

I will be on board as well.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I would test yours out before you really need it. I made that mistake the first time I got a flat tire, at night. What a pain in the a$$.

I will be on board as well.

Oh no, from what I've read on here, I basically consider it to be dead weight, I'm basically driving around without a spare in my mind right now. Think I will do the dorman retrofit, get a new tire on there, and keep a bag of better tools in the back so I won't have to use the stock ones (jack, socket, wrench, gloves, flashlight/s).

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Rouxzy said:
I purchased this a couple of weeks ago for my 9-7x. It is a good quality item.

How much did it run you. It does not list a price on the Dorman website.

Edit: found it on Advanced Auto's site for $158.99. Was it a pain in the a$$ to remove the old one and install new?

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
dmanns67 said:

Edit: found it on Advanced Auto's site for $158.99. Was it a pain in the a$$ to remove the old one and install new?

I had the truck on a lift....and was about 5 years ago now. But I remember it being two bolts, easy to access. Don't recall having to use any spray to loosen the threads, and the truck lived its whole life in rust country.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
dmanns67 said:

When I noticed mine had rusted out during a check, I put a floor jack up to hold the tire weight and had the assembly&tire down in a few minutes. Put the bolts back in to keep the threads good. Tire goes in the back when I drive too far.

The new one will go in just as quick I am sure. I just don't want it seizing up if I go too long without use.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
The website posted in post #1 shows it only available for EXT models. I am assuming that this might be an oversight on their part and that this will also fit the shorter wheelbase models as well..??

willbill92

Feb 15, 2014
Does anybody know how to get the spare tire off once the thing has gotten jammed. I went to check the air pressure of my spare and I could not for the life of me get the thing off. :confused:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had to force mine to get it to drop enough to cut the cable. Held the spare up against the chassis, got the cable to stick thru far enough to get some cutters on it, and chopped it. Then dropped the spare, unbolted the busted hoist, and put on the new one.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have received the sample hoist from Dorman but I have been so busy, I haven't even opened the box. I might do an unboxing video of it and post it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mooseman said:
I have received the sample hoist from Dorman but I have been so busy, I haven't even opened the box. I might do an unboxing video of it and post it.

:popcorn:

I hope it is all that. I'd put it on after work.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
willbill92 said:
Does anybody know how to get the spare tire off once the thing has gotten jammed. I went to check the air pressure of my spare and I could not for the life of me get the thing off. :confused:

I kicked the living sh!t out of mine the time I took it off. It came down when I tried to lower it the second time, I however would recommend something a bit less brutal

the roadie said:
Penetrating oil and time. If that doesn't do it, engage some power tools with extreme prejudice.

The first time I took it off I soaked it in PB blaster, it worked that time.

Mooseman said:

Interested to see the product.

Playsinsnow said:
When I noticed mine had rusted out during a check, I put a floor jack up to hold the tire weight and had the assembly&tire down in a few minutes. Put the bolts back in to keep the threads good. Tire goes in the back when I drive too far.

The new one will go in just as quick I am sure. I just don't want it seizing up if I go too long without use.

I pulled my old one off to send it to you, it was a bit more jacked up removed than it appeared. Sorry for not messaging you back, I get side tracked so easily.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Blazin: I got your msg, just opted out of the oem design because it will seize again. No worries.

willbill92 said:

I put a jack under the spare and took the 3 (?) bolts off the assembly and dropped the whole thing. Snip the cable and trash the metal. Put the bolts back in the frame to preserve, just in case. Throw spare in back if you want.

Why leave it up if it has seized? Just cut it. How frustrated will you get if it is dark and it won't come down?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I still need to get a proper sized spare and figure out how and where to stash it...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No unboxing video but these pics will have to do as a review. So far, looks good. They did do away with the secondary latch that is so problematic on the OEM part. Only grease I saw was on the winch mechanism. I'm not sure what the cable is made of because it was painted. Not too sure what to make of that. If it was stainless, why would they paint it? It is magnetic but then not all stainless steel is non-magnetic.

I'll have to get in touch with my contact at Dorman to find out about the cable. This was a major safety issue when car makers started putting spares under cars and trucks and they were falling off when regular steel cables were rusting out, which is why they went to stainless steel and added these damned secondary latches.

Attachments

• 20140307_123113 (Medium).jpg
    20140307_123113 (Medium).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140307_122832 (Medium).jpg
    20140307_122832 (Medium).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20140307_122444 (Medium).jpg
    20140307_122444 (Medium).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bad news. Here's the answer I got:

The cable is made of steel with a black corrosion resistant coating.

Looking at this coating closely, it looks like paint and peeling off. I had flecks of it on my hands. Given that there is no secondary latch and the cable is made of steel and will rust anywhere salt is used, I will not be installing it. I'll just keep my old one made with stainless steel cable and keep putting the spare upside down to prevent the secondary latch from jamming. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this product :no:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd be sure to tell them that.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. Sent him an email with a link to the post.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I purchased a tire hoist from Amazon, APDTY 035610 ($87.00), and installed it yesterday (5-27-21). Did a bit of research and there's several on the market ranging in price from around $40 to $210. Wanted a decent one, so stayed away from the lower priced ones and settled on this.
Looks like a decent part, had no trouble with the fitment. The cable is low quality stainless, and the end (at the tire) has a swaged (swedged?) fitting that goes through a pretty heavy spring. The spring sits on a boss on the fitting. It does not have the secondary lock like original GM.
When I got it on and raised the tire up I noticed the flat end of the spring wasn't sitting square on the boss, so lowering the tire a bit and finageling with a channel locks got it in place. The reason I did this was the spring is flat on the part that sits on the boss, and wider at the top (like a beehive valve spring). I was afraid if the spring wasn't sitting correctly the swaged piece might pull through and lose the tire.
There's a 10mm hex type fitting on the back that can be used to raise and lower. Did that a few times, worked fine.
I'll be checkin for rust and stuff evry time I do an oil change, and let everyone know how it pans out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher