Sourcing TPMS Sensor

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
One of my sensors is going bad, so I need a new one. Is there a good place to get these sensors? And is there a part number for them? Are they all the same or do I need one specific exact one? I know very little about these things, I've never had an "old" vehicle with them, only new cars so I've never had any issues.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The TPMS sensor is the same in each tire. Majority of the time the sensor fails to send a signal to the TPMS due to a weak battery. These batteries are internal to the sensor and are not serviceable. They are rated to last 8-10 years. If you have one failing, it will be short time before the rest start failing. If you have the cash, I would go ahead and replace all (4) at the same time.

I like to stick with OE ACDelco, part# 25774006. Price per sensor varies, I have seen from $32-$50. Last set I picked up was about $130 for all four from EBay. Amazon is another good source. Last ACDelco sensor I bought from Amazon was about $40 and free shipping.

RockAuto offers a few different brands that range from $35-$55. ACDelco on their site is $46.

Make sure you pick up a new lock nut for each new sensor. AcDelco part# 15234846. They are about $5 a piece.

Also, if you are not aware, each time that you rotate your tires, you have to do the relearn process for the sensors so the vehicle knows the new location of each sensor. If not, when you get a low tire pressure warning on the DIC for the driver's front, it may actually be for the sensor on the passenger rear tire. The relearn process does not affect the sensor from sending a correct tire pressure, only where the location of that tire pressure reading is coming from.

I only say that to say you can follow the same process when getting a new TPMS sensor installed. If you do not want to pay the tire shop to do the sensor relearn with their wireless tool, you can do it for free yourself in about 5 minutes. Process is in the thread below.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/tpms-sensor-relearn-matching.10242/

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So the set of ebay TPMS's didn't work. My mechanic ended up getting an expensive one at the local dealership, and leaving the remaining three as-is. And now I have to return the ebay sensors. That's what I get for buying something on ebay, it's all shit on that website these days.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would just have the PCM tuned and delete the code and ditch the sensors. Not hard to check tire pressure occasionally and you get a tune without more cost!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think it's the PCM that deals with it, but the BCM.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Damn. I hate TPMS systems and was hoping if I ever ended up with one I could tune it out

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
So the set of ebay TPMS's didn't work. My mechanic ended up getting an expensive one at the local dealership, and leaving the remaining three as-is. And now I have to return the ebay sensors. That's what I get for buying something on ebay, it's all shit on that website these days.

Why did the sensors not work? Were they not ACDelco or the correct part#? Did your mechanic follow the correct relearn procedure?

What did the stealership end up charging you for an ACDelco sensor?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I paid like $30 at stealership for one once (for the SV6). Only thing I can think of is that they were the wrong ones for your truck. There are several different models. I had bought a set of new take-offs from eBay for my winter tires and rims, never an issue with them.

I am looking at adding TPMS to my Saab because I have a set of run-flats and it would be good to know if one does go flat and I don't notice. I know the TPMS saved a couple of tires on the SV6. My wife is a nail magnet.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So I ended up paying $90 for ONE through the dealership, through my mechanic. Which is a bummer. As far as the ones that didn't work, they were supposed to be brand new, and they were the right part numbers for my truck, but they were totally unresponsive. The old ones and the new one from the dealership worked no problem. These ebay ones, nada.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got a link to them so we know to stay clear of them?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I feel like that's very relevant information that should be explain in the ebay listing. Simply saying they "need to be programmed" doesn't really help. Obviously every sensor will need to be programmed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online