Sound on Full steering Lock!

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Needless to Say i'm finally back. After a month of traveling and alot of driving my TB is seeking help :frown:! My fan clutch and waterpump died on me but that was about it. I drove about 900 kilometers back home yesterday and all was good. However doing a U turn there was like a Cachenngggggggg sound that startled me. Anyways I continue driving home.

This morning I try and recreate the sound so now i'm getting a sound on the steering lock mainly when going left. The sound changed all three times :S

1st time around was the cachengggg
2nd time around was like an FWD axle sound going bad
3rd time around was like a uuuuuuuhhhhhhh

What am I looking at guys? Axle? Pump? I'll try to get an audio later on after work if I have the breath for it. I need to change jobs lol

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
fadyasha said:
Needless to Say i'm finally back. After a month of traveling and alot of driving my TB is seeking help :frown:! My fan clutch and waterpump died on me but that was about it. I drove about 900 kilometers back home yesterday and all was good. However doing a U turn there was like a Cachenngggggggg sound that startled me. Anyways I continue driving home.

This morning I try and recreate the sound so now i'm getting a sound on the steering lock mainly when going left. The sound changed all three times :S

1st time around was the cachengggg
2nd time around was like an FWD axle sound going bad
3rd time around was like a uuuuuuuhhhhhhh

What am I looking at guys? Axle? Pump? I'll try to get an audio later on after work if I have the breath for it. I need to change jobs lol

Hey guys a quick update. I went out during the break trying to recreate the sound and here's what I found:

1. Turning steering to full lock left and right causes no sounds when in full stop
2. Full right does nothing in movement
3. Full left has a sound in movement. The sound is like opening a rusty door or garage if that sounds right! I'm yet to see if I can get an audio of this later on. Just way overwhelmed with work and get home late usually :hissyfit:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Couldn't just be ur sway bar endlinks needing to be replaced or tightened??

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Could be a number of things, but I suspect a power steering pump that is failing

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Id be surprised! The end links are 2 months old and tightened them recently.

Regarding the noise while moving it can be as slow as 5-10 kmh/h and it hurts to listen to not your normal squeaky noise

To add the ride is firm nothing is loose

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mine made all sorts of creaky noises when my left tie rod was going bad, had more than comfortable amount of play and all is quiet now after replacement. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while the tire is on the ground and note any movement..just turn the wheel slightly to take up slack to inspect.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
Regarding the noise while moving it can be as slow as 5-10 kmh/h and it hurts to listen to not your normal squeaky noise
Ok, so is the noise from moving, or from turning the steering wheel?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Sound is when moving while steering locked to the left

Tires have less than 10k like new

The ride is firm on turns, bumps and hit any holes in the street lol

I'll give it a quick check and see if there's any play in the wheel. The left tie rod was changed about a month ago too.

That's why I'm surprised. Did a full maintenance over the past few months !

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Back ! Tried and tried and the sound only comes now when full lock towards the left and over a bump, hole , etc...

Checked everything and all is tight. Took it to a shop and did a quick check. He confirmed nothing is loose and said its from the lift.

He said when steering on rough terrains the top spacer moves sometimes with the movement of the spring.

Not really buying it ... The lift has been on for a while now and never had a problem... Is it possible?

I could however understand if he said the upper control arms because the bushings are toast and get that normal squeaky noise whether rough terrain or not.

The common issue all us owners have had at a point of time../

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
If you get an uhhhhh sound when your steering wheel is all the way to one side and can't go any further that to me sounds like the power steering. Ours was doing it until the damn pump went out on us, we changed the pump and I don't think it has made that noise since.

Maybe you have more than one issue going on?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Voymom said:
If you get an uhhhhh sound when your steering wheel is all the way to one side and can't go any further that to me sounds like the power steering. Ours was doing it until the damn pump went out on us, we changed the pump and I don't think it has made that noise since.

Maybe you have more than one issue going on?

At first thought was the pump but after further diagnostics turned out not to be the problem. Turn left and right easily and that uhhhhh sound isn't happening anymore... Seems I may have misheard it or maybe was just a one time thing. Fluid is at the right level and no sound whatsoever while in full stop mode.

I'm feeling it may be the upper control arms... Bushings have been squeaky for months now. Maybe with the lift it's just not taking it anymore

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys, quick update. Was the upper control arms! the bushings are toast and with the Spacers for the lift there was some unwanted movement that happens!

I haven't changed them yet but planning to change on pay day lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online