sound mat

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
so im curious if anyone has done any sound mat work in there truck and what is a cheaper but still decent brand

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Ive been researching a little and found fat mat which seems decently priced and also ranks pretty good has anyone ever tried it

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva

I did nearly the whole truck.

I've used fatmat before, and while it worked good enough that when I had to remove it I had to chisel it off with a hammer and a chisel, I would not use it on the roof. It will fail. Best case scenario, the foil will separate from the sticky part, or worst case the sticky part will melt and ruin the headliner (and more). So for the roof, you should get a butyl based deadener. I used regular second skin damplifier (not pro) and it's just as solid now as the day I installed it - going on 5 years now. There are other butyl based deadeners, you don't have to use second skin.

Car audio guys hate fatmat, and I can see where they're coming from but to be honest I don't know what's to hate if you need a hammer and chisel to get it off. For stuff like the floor, it will never be exposed to the same temperatures as the roof. You still gotta prep it properly for best results. A lot of guys pull off the panel(s) and start slapping on mat and then say "fatmat sucks" when it fails.

Some deadener companies sell the good butyl stuff as b-stock for decent prices. A friend of mine got a good deal on b-stock, the only thing wrong with it was that there was a printing error and the companies logo was off centered or something silly like that that no one would see anyway.

Reactions: Aarkon and dmanns67

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Good advise man but im just gonna be doing my trunk and hatch since they are always so noisy then my doors what other brand is decent?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online