SOPA/PIPA

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
You may have heard these terms in recent weeks. If these pieces of legislation are enacted, many if not all small enthusiast web sites will be shut down. If you like the freedoms we enjoy on the world wide web, please take the time to go to one of these links and get more info. Please take a minute to contact your state representatives and let them know that you are AGAINST SOPA!!!

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Wikipedia

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011

Attachments

• XKCD SOPA PIPA.jpg
    XKCD SOPA PIPA.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Cyanide and Happiness SOPA PIPA.jpg
    Cyanide and Happiness SOPA PIPA.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 30

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
If google and facebook were really serious about protesting this, they WOULD shut down for the day. Yes they would lose hundreds of thousands of dollars, but it would get the point accross. The blackbar over the google logo, not many people are going to notice, or care for that fact.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I don't understand how lets say wikipedia shutting themselves down for 24 hours does anything. Are these sites saying they will completely shut down if the law passes...or are they just shutting down so when people visit the site and read about the law...those people will be so pissed they will want to contact the government and voice their opinion?

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
I don't understand how lets say wikipedia shutting themselves down for 24 hours does anything. Are these sites saying they will completely shut down if the law passes...or are they just shutting down so when people visit the site and read about the law...those people will be so pissed they will want to contact the government and voice their opinion?

That.

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:

The vast majority of people have no idea this is happening. So yes, the hope is that it will get the word out. If these laws are passed, sites like Wikipedia will almost certainly get shut down. Google would have to remove vast amounts of content, Facebook would essentially have to begin moderating every single thing posted. Almost all forums would end up shut down over violations. To make it worse, big forums with lots money would be able to report little forums with NO money and get them shut down. How long do you think we would last?

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Ghoster said:
The vast majority of people have no idea this is happening. So yes, the hope is that it will get the word out. If these laws are passed, sites like Wikipedia will almost certainly get shut down. Google would have to remove vast amounts of content, Facebook would essentially have to begin moderating every single thing posted. Almost all forums would end up shut down over violations. To make it worse, big forums with lots money would be able to report little forums with NO money and get them shut down. How long do you think we would last?

exactly! its F'd 'up. :lipsrsealed:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
oh i don't know guys, censorship is good we don't want peoples feelings being hurt. i for one trust the government will do whats best for me

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
oh i don't know guys, censorship is good we don't want peoples feelings being hurt. i for one trust the government will do whats best for me

The sarcasm is thick with this one.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Is Autozone a part of this protest because it has been down for a while for me.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Who the hell even OWNS "the internet"???

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nobody really owns it. Well, Al Gore might claim he does, or at least part of it :lol: But no one really owns it, no one really has total control over it, which is one reason why some people hate it as they can't fully control it. It is, in one way, like a monster that got created and took over the world. Except it is a good thing, over all.

BTW, apparently there are some waves being made, because SOPA and PIPA sponsors have pulled their support:
SOPA and PIPA bills prompt black outs: Will it matter? | PopWatch | EW.com

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Ghoster said:

:undecided: :tongue:

I guess like everything else with our effed up gov't, we'll just have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe while they live like kings and queens!

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
I don't understand how lets say wikipedia shutting themselves down for 24 hours does anything.
Here's my 2 cents...

I think that part of the motivation for Wikipedia to shut down is to show the world what it would be like without Wikipedia. If this passes, it might come to that. :twocents:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I believe they only did that to the US IP addresses. a couple of other sites that I frequent are only blocking US IPs today.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
What Is SOPA?

that pretty well sums it up.
cliff notes... If a U.S. site has copyrighted info on it, it can be taken down. In sites like facebook, youtube, wikipedia, reddit, etc if one of the users posts info that someone claims is copyrighted the site gets blocked. Say for instance Google doesn't block the search result for a site that has a claimed copyright violation, then google gets banned. The website is given the task of checking everything it's users post. If you take into account that youtube gets approx 48hrs of content uploaded every minute... well you can see where that goes. In addition websites have to remove the content due to a claim, doesn't matter if it's valid or not.
The bills give sites 5 days to correct issues.

We have DMCA already and it's well written and surgical like, SOPA/PIPA is a sledge hammer.

It was already posted, but go here and sign the petition

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
This is PsyOp101....does anyone really believe that the "government" hasn't been monitoring/censoring the internet all along? Censorship is the next step.

Don't fit me for a tinfoil hat just yet. Does anyone really think after all this mess, particularly over the last 4 years, with very few prosecutions to date; that the "government (think banks...)" has your best interest at heart or plays by any rule of law?

That belief is what I would call crazy!:crazy:

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
v7guy said:
We have DMCA already and it's well written and surgical like...

I very strongly disagree. DMCA is a joke. It is not governed by anyone, and anyone can claim anything is theirs... and the recipient of the notice has to comply no matter what or their host can be penalized (forcing them to remove your whole site).

For example, some jackass from VerticalScope can claim that they own a custom written how-to article composed 100% by the person that published his work on another site. The recipient would be forced to remove the link in "violation" and file a counter-notice if they believe the claim is unsubstantiated. The content will remain offline until the 10-14 day process is complete.

All of this because someone "claims" that someone else is infringing... no proof or third parties involved.

SOPA and PIPA are just as bad in several aspects and forums, all forums, could be negatively affected in a big way.

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I got a response back today from one of my representatives. She says that she supports some of the things in the legislation, but that in its current form she will NOT support its passage.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
I very strongly disagree. DMCA is a joke. It is not governed by anyone, and anyone can claim anything is theirs... and the recipient of the notice has to comply no matter what or their host can be penalized (forcing them to remove your whole site).

For example, some jackass from VerticalScope can claim that they own a custom written how-to article composed 100% by the person that published his work on another site. The recipient would be forced to remove the link in "violation" and file a counter-notice if they believe the claim is unsubstantiated. The content will remain offline until the 10-14 day process is complete.

All of this because someone "claims" that someone else is infringing... no proof or third parties involved.

SOPA and PIPA are just as bad in several aspects and forums, all forums, could be negatively affected in a big way.

I didn't really state it clearly. My "surgical" comment was assuming the site owner would initially comply, remove the material and then fight. Ideally the complainant would have to prove the copyright violation first... but whatever. The default of SOPA/PIPA is to remove the site, hence the sledgehammer comment. Lose some content for a couple weeks sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Losing a website is pretty extreme.
DMCA isn't perfect. But by "well written" I was using the term comparatively. There doesn't seem to be enough will to change it to push the burden of proof on the person making the complaint either. But it's better than blacklisting a whole site. It also still accomplishes what these new bills are suppose to do (stop movie/music piracy). If we could get this kind of juice to modify DMCA we'd be good to go.

Ghoster

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Got this response today.

Dear Mr. Peterson:

This letter acknowledges receipt of your correspondence regarding H.R. 3261, the "Stop Online Piracy Act." I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter.

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith on October 26, 2011 and was subsequently referred to the House Judiciary Committee, where it is currently undergoing committee hearings.

SOPA is a hard hitting attempt to address the legitimate problem of illegal downloads of copyrighted work like movies, television shows and music. I believe that artists and the companies that create content should be able to protect their information. However, this legislation forces Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to be the policing authorities on the beat to find, hunt, and shut down illegal pirate websites or the service provider is held liable for the copyright infringement. ISPs will have to maintain a list of banned websites. While SOPA would act as a filter for offending websites, as soon as these websites are shut down, similar copies are set up very quickly. ISPs and the Department of Justice will spend their time going after pirate websites that can be renamed and changed in an instant. I do not believe this is the most efficient way to solve the problem of piracy.

As ranking member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, I work closely on various cyber security issues. Both the Sandia National Laboratory and the Department of Homeland Security took the position that SOPA will hurt U.S. efforts to keep our networks secure and safe from serious cyber attacks. As it stands now, SOPA is a one sided firewall that would hinder our ability to go after the real offenders and threats to our networks, while simultaneously limiting innovation and free speech. I hope that all stake holders can sit down and develop a compromise solution that avoids these problems.

In the House of Representatives, the current version of SOPA is not scheduled to move forward. There has been bipartisan concern raised about this legislation. Majority Leader Cantor has said that the Stop On-Line Piracy Act will not be moving forward until consensus is reached. Also, President Obama and Speaker Boehner have indicated that everyone's concerns must be addressed before legislative action is taken. In addition, the Senate is also postponing consideration of their version of SOPA, the Protect IP Act (PIPA). Majority Leader Harry Reid has expressed that he would like to work out a compromise that all sides can agree to.

I appreciate hearing your views on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my website at Congressman Ruppersberger and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
Member of Congress

and this......

Dear Mr. Peterson:

Knowing of your recent interest in the PROTECT IP Act
(S. 938), I am writing to update you on the status of this bill.

I am happy that the Senate will not vote on this bill in the coming days. While illegal downloading of movies, TV shows and music is a serious issue, the solution can't be worse than the problem. Any efforts to strengthen the protection of copyrighted materials must be well planned, avoid unintended consequences, and must not stifle free speech or innovation.

I will not vote for the PROTECT IP Act in its current form. I believe in the Constitution and free speech. Congress needs to go back to the drawing board to fix the problems with the bill.

Knowing of your views is helpful to me, and I will keep them in mind as Congress continues to debate this issue.

Thanks once again for writing. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.