Something to check in regards to MPG

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
A recent thread gave me the idea on posting this so I figured I would at least make people aware in case they are not up to speed on the HVAC system. I believe this pertains to the electronic HVAC and not the one with the two manual sliding temp levers....not sure.

Either way, our HVAC system displays the A/C when it's OFF, not when it's on. Many times I have switched from DEFROST to face and feet and not realized the A/C is still on.

To be clear, when you push the snowflake symbol you will get an indication of the A/C when it's OFF, no indication means it's on and you are wasting gas. DEFROST and RECIRC will default to A/C so there is no way around it, but when you switch them off, be sure to turn the A/C off if it's still engaged.

Attachments

• HVAC1a.jpg
    HVAC1a.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 12
  • HVAC2a.jpg
    HVAC2a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 11

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
If you have the manual controls at the bottom left are two buttons. They will have an amber light in them. If the lights are on then so is the a/c.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My 2005 is the opposite. It shows a snowflake when the A/C is on. If the outside temp is too low, it will flash and then stay off if you hit the button.

IMAG0760_zps3b9aaa0a.jpg

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
groundshock said:
Good idea. Pretty sure my HVAC is always on defrost. I'll give that a shot.
Even when you're using heat and you move from defrost to floor, you don't see the "OFF" Does that mean the AC still on?

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
As far as I know as long as the HVAC is on some form of defrost, the AC compressor is active. Floor heat, I'm not sure. I don't think so.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Menthol said:
Even when you're using heat and you move from defrost to floor, you don't see the "OFF" Does that mean the AC still on?

If your display is like mine then yes, the A/C is still on. Must read "AC OFF" If you use the RECIRC then the A/C will be used or blink until you turn it on.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
groundshock said:
As far as I know as long as the HVAC is on some form of defrost, the AC compressor is active. Floor heat, I'm not sure. I don't think so.

Only if you have the floor with the defrost at the same time, but not floor only or floor/face.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online