SOLVED! Something broke in shift linkage

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Was turning around in driveway, went back and forth a few times, placed in Reverse and backed up, went to place in drive and the shifter went easily into the 1st gear position but stayed in reverse.

I placed the shifter in Park and the trans stayed in Reverse. Also, when I tried to take it out of Park, the shift interlock wouldn't release with the brake pedal depressed.

So shifter is stuck in Park, and trans in Reverse. Is this the common plastic bushing?

Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
At least you were fortunate enough to have this happen when you were at home, and not out somewhere.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
No doubt. I don't want to jinx anything, but the only 2 times where the voy was disabled, was in the driveway. Starter about 5 yrs ago, and the linkage.

I picked this up today, for the life of me I cannot get the bushing on the linkage. Found the part# on other forums, maybe 2002 was the odd year, or I'm doing it wrong.

20200526_154621.jpg

20200526_154526.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You got the remnants of the old bushing drilled out completely? That looks like the kit that comes with the transmission side bushing as well as the gear shift lever one (I had to replace that one too). If you've got the time, may be worth checking that one too.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Put a couple of those in and they are a Bxxxx... If I remember right they have to go in in a specific direction. I fought it like crazy , swore they wouldnt fit and just before pulling out the drill to enlarge the holes I got em in.. The last time I replaced them I brought to a buddies shop cus I figured it would be easier on a lift. We fought for awhile and then he came up with the idea to put 1 bushing in and then a bolt with a few washers to hold it all together and that held until I parked it a few years ago. If I get time tomorrow I may see if I can lift it a lil and get a pic of it.
To be honest the 1st time it broke i put it together with about 5 zip ties and my daughter drove it like that probably 3 years or more. Never did break , I just saw the bushing kit in a parts store and replaced it.. Probably would just stick with the zip ties if I had it to do over again...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Had to use a pocket screwdriver to get one in the TB. It's such a tight fit that it won't just snap in, the lip has to be forced past the lip on the cable and the plastic isn't stiff enough to hold up when just pushing the bushing in.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Seconding what Mounce said. When mine broke, I had to push in the rim of the new bushing (with the aforementioned pocket screwdriver) to get it to go through the shift cable hole. Once I popped it through I had to then press it back out so it could snap over the pin on the shift arm. Loads of fun to do in the office parking garage. Luckily I was able to get it rolled back in to a parking space when it let go right after I backed out of my space and put it in drive...

I now keep an extra in the tool box...

Good Luck!

Chris

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
You got the remnants of the old bushing drilled out completely? That looks like the kit that comes with the transmission side bushing as well as the gear shift lever one (I had to replace that one too). If you've got the time, may be worth checking that one too.

The kit I have now (14057) does not come with this bushing here on the right, from kit 14055:

Screenshot_20200527-005339_Google.jpg

I believe that's the correct bushing on the right. The plastic end of the shift cable has a recess on both sides, and the smaller remnant I removed was on the end opposite the trans linkage. I'm going to try that one tomorrow.

Put a couple of those in and they are a Bxxxx... If I remember right they have to go in in a specific direction. I fought it like crazy , swore they wouldnt fit and just before pulling out the drill to enlarge the holes I got em in.. The last time I replaced them I brought to a buddies shop cus I figured it would be easier on a lift. We fought for awhile and then he came up with the idea to put 1 bushing in and then a bolt with a few washers to hold it all together and that held until I parked it a few years ago. If I get time tomorrow I may see if I can lift it a lil and get a pic of it.
To be honest the 1st time it broke i put it together with about 5 zip ties and my daughter drove it like that probably 3 years or more. Never did break , I just saw the bushing kit in a parts store and replaced it.. Probably would just stick with the zip ties if I had it to do over again...

I hear ya, I ended up using the larger orange bushing to take up slack and wired it together with some 28 ga wire to get to work and back. I fought the clear ones for 30 min to no avail, but I believe those clear ones in kit 14057 aren't the correct bushings.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ya'kno. I was gonna check and make sure you had the right part number but glanced at your picture and said 'yeah that looks about right' and passed it off.

14055 is the correct kit though.

And I also keep a spare.

Reactions: gmcman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Reactions: gmcman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I looked up both numbers on Amazon and both says will fit. In the reviews, both mention to fit on GMT360's so ???

@gmcman , will wait to hear your results before I order a set since it is likely just a matter of time before one of mine fail.

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Was able to re-attach the linkage today. This is the kit I used: Dorman 14055

Screenshot_20200528-143329_Gallery.jpg

Includes two pieces, this is the piece that is used at the end of the linkage at the trans:

Screenshot_20200528-143420_Gallery.jpg

I used a light film of lithium grease on the outside to ease installation, and it pressed in easy to this point.

Screenshot_20200528-143500_Gallery.jpg

With light pressure using a flat blade screwdriver it went in quite easily.

Screenshot_20200528-143522_Gallery.jpg

All is good. I wish it had a little more grip on the metal post but it didn't feel like it was going to pop off either.
Screenshot_20200528-143548_Gallery.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And also confirm that part number.

Reactions: Matt and gmcman

Camdo

May 16, 2015
The kit I have now (14057) does not come with this bushing here on the right, from kit 14055:

View attachment 94779

I believe that's the correct bushing on the right. The plastic end of the shift cable has a recess on both sides, and the smaller remnant I removed was on the end opposite the trans linkage. I'm going to try that one tomorrow.

I hear ya, I ended up using the larger orange bushing to take up slack and wired it together with some 28 ga wire to get to work and back. I fought the clear ones for 30 min to no avail, but I believe those clear ones in kit 14057 aren't the correct bushings.

Fell into the same trap. I purchased 14057, fought for and hour trying to install the white bushing only to fail and wound up using the orange 2 piece bushing which I definitely do not like because it puts the the cable center line so far away from lever ball and nearly hits the transmission case. Wish I read this post first. Thanks gmcman I'm going back to the store for 14055.

Reactions: gmcman and mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I just saw this on another forum:

I think I'll go ahead and put it on my '04 TB before the plastic one from the factory breaks.

That's the one I bought years ago when mine went... A friend of mine who had his bushing fail around the same time as mine, who went with a Dorman replacement, had his fail on him again last week. We're putting the metal pin in it this weekend.

Camdo

May 16, 2015
My shifter lever had a rusted ball so I replaced it with Dorman 74124. It is not necessary to remove the transfer case drive shaft. The shaft center line is above the drive shaft. It was an easy job with a 3 inch socket extension. Torque nut to 18 Ft-Lb. Dorman says it fits 4 speed transmissions. Mine has speeds 1,2,3,Drive, so I guess that is 4 speed. It looked like a perfect match against the old lever. I also used the shifter cable bushing Dorman 14055. It installed and worked perfectly. Thanks gmcman. I was tempted to smear some Never-Seize on the ball joint but decided it would attract dirt and grit, so I left it dry.

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Tried to do this today on my friends XUV, but I had issues drilling out the old pin. Considered taking a cutoff wheel to it, but he also had the Dorman kit handy, so we just lubed it up and pressed that in. Too hot and humid to keep messing with it, even in the garage with the high speed fan on us.

He's gonna send back the ATF pin. :frown:

Sprung Monkey

Oct 12, 2017
Al
I have the14055 came w/ 2 bushings I thought it was the other.

So you used the bushing where ends where unequal and the fatter section is outwardish.

So this means it can’t go on backwards correct?

Sorry to sound stupid I don’t want to mess up more than I’ve already.

Thanks

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
This happened to me today, was leaving the grocery store, put the truck in Reverse, backed out of the parking spot, went to put it in drive and the shifter just moved with little to no resistence but remained stuck in reverse, put the shifter in park, truck was still in reverse, slapped on the parking brake and flagged some random person in the parking lot to come sit in the truck with his foot on the brake so I could slap it into park then I clicked the shifter cable back onto the stud, I felt a Click as it popped back on so the bushing isn't totally out of it, I had bought one of those Ebay bushing kits years ago when i first bought the truck but I can't find it now so ordered one of the dorman parts, gonna go ahead and replace it next weekend before I drive it again.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
This happened to me today, was leaving the grocery store, put the truck in Reverse, backed out of the parking spot, went to put it in drive and the shifter just moved with little to no resistence but remained stuck in reverse, put the shifter in park, truck was still in reverse, slapped on the parking brake and flagged some random person in the parking lot to come sit in the truck with his foot on the brake so I could slap it into park then I clicked the shifter cable back onto the stud, I felt a Click as it popped back on so the bushing isn't totally out of it, I had bought one of those Ebay bushing kits years ago when i first bought the truck but I can't find it now so ordered one of the dorman parts, gonna go ahead and replace it next weekend before I drive it again.

the metal replacement one will fix it for good

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015

the metal replacement one will fix it for good
OK, ordered that one, tried to cancel the dorman order from Amazon but i'll just do a return once it gets here. from the confirmation email it looks like ATFSpeed is in Florida so hopefully it can be here by the weekend so I can fix it Saturday, if not i'll wrap a zip tie or something around it to make sure it won't randomly pop off in the short term, I only drive it on weekends but I need to be able to drive it on Saturday to pickup some materials.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online