Someone's been updating site software, eh?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Noticed there were some UI changes yesterday...and today, I saw the emoticons / emojis were updated (I'll never ask for 'more' again, btw - they're organized in categories similar to what's on Twitter)

• Haha
Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah we've got some new goodies to find around the site.

Reactions: flyinghigh1970

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I notice the site is now prompting me to allow push notifications, which I generally decline (for privacy reasons). If I do decline, does that affect ad revenue?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wouldn't think that it does, but we'll have to wait for @Jman423 to chime in to confirm

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think those are just so you get notifications only while the site is open. I think.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I was receiving the prompt both on my laptop and my phone; I had answered 'maybe later' on the laptop, but then noticed the phone was prompting me separately.

Did some research, and it looks like this is geared more toward phones - they're like app-specific popups (or messages). I suppose an ad could be embedded within a popup, but for the most part, these are geared toward supplying info to the user.

(On edit:) I also noted just now from replying to another thread - the software now 'auto-italicizes'... I'll explain...for those of you who are familiar with my postings, you know I like to use the '*' character in front of / behind of words to add emphasis (netiquette issue; I try to avoid caps) .

Now, if I put those in, the software will automagically convert anything between the two asterisks to italicized text. Nice.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Surprise for us too 😮

I sure as hell would not want notifications on my phone. My wife gets constant notifications from FB and it annoys me to no end 🤬

Don't care much for the round avatars. Cuts off my antlers 😝

Reactions: Matt and Capote

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Typing this from my phone...I just enabled the notifications, and a 'pulldown' ad immediately appeared...so. yes...it does affect ad revenue...lol.

Yeah, I don't like the avatar changes, either. Maybe there's a 'scaling=on' setting. And the 'likes' are different now...as if the system can keep track of +/- ratios (but no way to rate negatively...which is probably good) :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think they all count as "likes".

I'm usually here on my laptop as I find it tedious to type on my phone (and my thumb usually hits the . key and inserts them randomly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, the push notifications work even when you're not on the site at all. I was out and I got a notification of quoted text. As long as your browser is up and if, maybe, you visited the site during the same session, you get notifications.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Not a fan of the updates... too mainstream-ish.
And I don't see the point of the push notifications. Those kind of things on sites I find highly annoying and I've now blocked the site from doing-so.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
To each their own. Not doing it on my phone but.I.kinda like them on the laptop.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
To each their own. Not doing it on my phone but.I.kinda like them on the laptop.
All this makes me miss TapaTalk lol. The whore thread was on fire back then.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tapatalk got the boot when they got greedy and wanted money from.site owners. Two forums I'm on did this.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hey, just found a new feature! If you post a link to another thread, it gives a summary of the first post, like this:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I noticed that in another thread too, but wasn't paying close attention. That's pretty useful :yes:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's slick. Wonder if it does that with external sites, under the right conditions? (I had created a link in my 'Dana' thread earlier today, but it was to the page as a whole, not a specific section)

You know, if the mod(s) doing the updating want to be proactive and post a summary of updates in the future, I'm sure some of us would be glad to do validation testing! :laugh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mods? Heck, even Jimmy didn't even know about these upgrades. Total surprise. He thought they were just ordinary security updates.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.