Some questions on lowering the front end

Xmodgeek

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Central Florida
It's finally time for me to fix my TBOne (TrailBlazer One) after hours of looking around I think I've decided on what I'm going to do but I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers on.

I'm wanting to lower it some. 2ish down in the front and 3" in the back end, and maybe with helper air bags. But for now I just need to get it safe to drive with out having to re-buy parts later.

I've pretty much settled on getting the BellTech drop strut set from here.
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=29
And probably there modified upper control arms. So my questions are...

1) The info I can find says to use the stock coil springs but it's for a SS and I have a standard 2006 LS 2WD I6 with about 155k miles on it. Looking on Rockauto they do have diffrent part numbers. So I'm guessing the stock SS springs are shorter then the non SS. So can I (Should I?) us the stock ones I have or do I get a new set of springs for a SS?

2) The DJM control arms can come with the lower mounts for the struts. I understand that's generally used so you can keep the stock strut/spring but is there any advantage to using it WITH the BellTech struts? (other then getting really low) I'm thinking if I use them and then set the strut higher to give more travel on the strut, as they are adjust by moving the base of the spring up and down. But I don't know how much of an effect this will have as it may hit the bummers either way??

3) Has DJM not 'fixed' there design with the clearance issues the require cutting away part of them? Of course I've seen some say there is no problem if you use it as intended but I've seen some say there is problems regardless?

I've known the bushings have been bad for quite some time and have a full set of polyurethane bushings and engine mounts I've been putting off for to long.
For now I'm just doing the front end and going to keep it pretty close to stock height in the front. So I don't need the upper control arms. Then when I get the parts I'll do the A arms, brakes, new wheels/tires and the rear end. I'm still debating if I want to get the stuff (control arms, knuckle) powder coated now or then.

Here's the current state of the passenger side.

Thanks

rizzo20

1) The info I can find says to use the stock coil springs but it's for a SS and I have a standard 2006 LS 2WD I6 with about 155k miles on it. Looking on Rockauto they do have diffrent part numbers. So I'm guessing the stock SS springs are shorter then the non SS. So can I (Should I?) us the stock ones I have or do I get a new set of springs for a SS?

You can use the stock springs from your LS Model with those struts and then choose the appropriate spacers on the struts to achieve desired height. You can also buy stock SS springs and use a different spacer combination to achieve that same desired height. I chose to buy Moog springs for a TBSS to stiffen up the ride for handling purposes.

2) The DJM control arms can come with the lower mounts for the struts. I understand that's generally used so you can keep the stock strut/spring but is there any advantage to using it WITH the BellTech struts? (other then getting really low) I'm thinking if I use them and then set the strut higher to give more travel on the strut, as they are adjust by moving the base of the spring up and down. But I don't know how much of an effect this will have as it may hit the bummers either way??

The DJM control arms will let you achieve the proper alignment once the front is lowered. If you get the Modified version of the DJ arm from NorcalSS it will also prevent the control arm from contacting the spindle and breaking. http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=14

3) Has DJM not 'fixed' there design with the clearance issues the require cutting away part of them? Of course I've seen some say there is no problem if you use it as intended but I've seen some say there is problems regardless?

I think you are referring to the what I mentioned above about the arms being modified? As far as I know, only NorcalSS's version is modified to prevent this. I'm no expert but I have had great results with this kit from NorcalSS http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=610 The only thing I did was add Moog springs for a stock TBSS>

Reactions: xavierny25

Xmodgeek

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Central Florida
I see, thanks. Yeah I guess I'll do the springs now as well. They aren't to much more, but that triples the shipping cost lol. I just ordered the parts to do the front end for now.

Reactions: rizzo20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online