SOLVED-All HVAC Actuators Dead, Electronic Issue

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
If you are already looking up the P/Ns for the blend door actuators, read on first.

I made the mistake of buying a new battery from Walmart about 4 months ago.
I got home only to find the thing was DOA when I installed it. Some electronics would work, but no radio and no crank. I couldn't jump it either. It was weird.
I swapped it for a good battery, and the new one worked fine.

I almost never use my a/c, so 2 months later when it started getting chilly, I noticed my vents only blew cold and the blower only worked on 3-5.
One afternoon, I replaced both the driver's and passenger's side blend door actuators as well as the blower's resistor pack.
I had the battery disconnected while I was doing the install. I re-connected the battery, then tried to crank it.
The engine fired right up, the cluster did a light-check, then all of the electronics went dead, then immediately came back on and the cluster did another light-check.
After this, my cluster had multiple back-lights burnt out.
My blower now worked, but the temperature was exactly 50/50, where the actuators were indexed.
I followed the procedure to do the recalibration, but nothing would fix it.

Now that it is bitter cold, I have just noticed that my rear vents (SWB, console vents) are stuck on, I cannot control which front vents blow, the driver's side only blows lukewarm, and the passenger's side only blows cold.
I have pulled the HVAC B fuse multiple times in the meantime to desperately try and get all of the actuators to recalibrate, but nothing has worked.
I can only control the blower.

I have no time to do any hands-on troubleshooting, but I'm getting tired of driving dressed like an eskimo.
Are there any other fuses/relays that I can check besides HVAC B?
What on earth got fried that has killed all of the actuators?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Try #39 and/or 44, also HVAC fuses.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Well, this is embarrassing.

I checked 'both' of the HVAC fuses in the past. 'Both' were fine.
Apparently there are supposed to be 3.
My #44 had no fuse in it (I just assumed it was an EXT-only fuse since it was empty).

I popped a fuse in there, turned the key, and the center console started whirring.
I turned all of the HVAC knobs, and everything was working.

That begs the question of when did #44 go missing?
Did I accidentally take it out because I misread the diagram? Were my old blend door actuators actually fine?
Or did I forget to put it back when I installed the new blend door actuators?

Regardless, everything is working. What a dumb mistake.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I opt for door #3, you were troubleshooting the issue in your sleep, and your sleep self forgot to tell you awake self that you pulled the fuse. :raspberry:

Glad it was something simple like that. Maybe fuse #44 was blown when you checked it previously, and you pulled it with the intention of replacing it but forgot to? (cuz you misremembered it was good)

Reactions: Amy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.