Sold my Trailblazer today

m.mcmillen

Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Well,I sold my Trailblazer today. There wasn't anything wrong other than the fact that it doesn't grow when your family grows. Packing three kids in the back row was getting to be too much. They looked like a bunch of sardines in the back of there. So, I'm in the market for a Yukon XL or Suburban.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Treat yourself to the Yukon, GMC always had the higher end packages :yes:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Treat yourself to the Yukon, GMC always had the higher end packages :yes:

And the higher prices, for an essentially re-badged product. :dielaugh: Granted, they had nicer interiors, on average - but if you were buying one based on 'Precision Engineering' (remember that campaign? LOL) - I dunno if you got any 'extra', compared to the Chevy variants. :twocents:

I don't know if that's still the case (Magnetic Ride Suspension comes to mind, although I think the current-gen Chevy products finally have it now); IIRC, that was originally Cadillac's baby.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can get either optioned better than the other. It really is a truck by truck basis not a GMC or Chevy is better thing. They are the same truck.

m.mcmillen

Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I just bought a 2012 GMC Acadia SLT AWD. I'm going to pick it up Wednesday. My wife is out of town until then and I need her to sign papers since we're both on the loan.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I just bought a 2012 GMC Acadia SLT AWD. I'm going to pick it up Wednesday. My wife is out of town until then and I need her to sign papers since we're both on the loan.
Third row seating?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
We had an 11 Traverse and with three kids it sucked on space. To even haul a stroller you had to drop half the backseat so it was just a 5 passenger vehicle.

Make sure the wave plate in the trans has been taken care of or budget $1500 for it.

Reactions: mntegra01

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Try and get one with a 6.0, the other cylinder deactivation engines are junk. Burning oil, lifter tap, cams being wiped. Or budget $5000 in engine, parts, and labor when it acts up.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You can buy a chip that plugs in to the diagnostic port, it sends a signal to keep all cylinders activated, all the time.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Try and get one with a 6.0, the other cylinder deactivation engines are junk. Burning oil, lifter tap, cams being wiped. Or budget $5000 in engine, parts, and labor when it acts up.
This has not been my or my Son's experience. We have received reliable service from our 5.3's. Overall they are great engines.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can buy a chip that plugs in to the diagnostic port, it sends a signal to keep all cylinders activated, all the time.

I've seen those but for cheaper, you can get a tune with other benefits.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
This has not been my or my Son's experience. We have received reliable service from our 5.3's. Overall they are great engines.

There is a lot of evidence showing lots of problems as well. Not every engine is going to go bad, but a lot of them have. I have a friend who has had pistons and rings replaced because of this, in an engine with under 60,000 miles. Fortunately he had the extended warranty. Another friend of mine had a tahoe with the 5.3, same problems, that he got rid of.

One need only look at the intake valves and see how coked up they get. Plenty of pics online to show that. I have a silverado 2017 with the 5.3, I'm running the chip, and plan on using intake valve cleaner every summer. And crossing my fingers. Maybe even get the tune like mooseman said, but I'll wait until the 3 year warranty, or whatever the base warranty is, expires.

If you have one without problems, then yes they are great engines.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Don't want to jinx myself but, I'm at 120k miles and all is well so I guess she doesn't owe me anything from here on.
This 5.3 thing is like doing "internet research" in that people generally only report the bad stuff. When you think of the incredible numbers of these that are out there the good/bad ratio is probably not much different than other engines.
You do have bad personal experiences with the 5.3 so I do respect your points as well.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine was fine with AFM when I bought it with 128k miles, didn't really have any problems until a while later closer to 140k and that was just sudden oil consumption increase. I disabled it via tune, at 194k miles now, rock solid. Still uses/leaks some oil, but not bad.

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
It is the Active Fuel management engines I speak of. Yes, some people have them perform fine and no problems, but we Rarely Ever see any such problems with a 6.0L

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Yes the 6.0 is surely a great engine. A friend of mine had a PU with one, loved it and sold it, he said that it was a hog on gas. He runs a construction business and said that it was killing him.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online