so who still uses the old site?

BuzzQ

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
i know a lot of people changed their names when they moved here but i still see some of the same names posting here and there

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not that we're going to strong-arm folks into declaring their loyalties, but folks who cross-post or answer noob questions over there are being noticed. Noobs don't know a lot about the history, economics, or politics of why this site was set up. But senior folks should know better than to support the flawed business model of the old site's corporate, non-platform-enthusiast owners. I've had good results just PM'ing such members and reminding them why GMTN was started.

You might try to do the same thing, carefully, in PMs. Not in the threads. Or PM them here, tactfully.

That said, there are some old members who don't leave email addresses in their profile, and that makes it more difficult to tell them about the new site, since Vertical Scope reads and edits any mention of GMTN, EVEN IN PMs. :no:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
I should add:

EXCEPT for vendors who need the widest possible audience and who don't go around answering throttle body questions and so forth. :yes:

What's a "trottle body"? :biggrin:

Roadie... I saw your trigger finger twitch! :rotfl: You're DYING to use one of them Garfield vs. Spider clips, aren't ya! Come on... Do it! DOOO IT! :rotfl: It'll be my xmas gift to you. :biggrin:

Why is it when I think of the OS, I just see a desolate space and tumbleweed rolling around?

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
I just wanted to say that I have had no reason or desire to even consider visiting that billboard (I mean website) since the genesis of this wonderful community. Can't we all just forget about it already?

Reactions: Inert_Static

gertrude

Dec 16, 2011
I have been there reading some of the interesting threads. I see a lot of people still posting over there, but some of the answers are less than helpful now. I never thought about PMing the new people to tell them to come over here, I will give that a try.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
harmless said:
.. You're DYING to use one of them Garfield vs. Spider clips, aren't ya! Come on... Do it! DOOO IT! :rotfl: It'll be my xmas gift to you. :biggrin:.
Nicest gift anybody's given me today!

newbies-OS.jpg

willn513 said:
Can't we all just forget about it already?
There are actually a few old friends I lost touch with that I don't have email addresses for, and as a banned mod, can't obtain. If they haven't heard about the recent events, they may never find where the community went to until Google starts indexing GMTN better. Vertical Scope certainly isn't allowing their property to be used to alert folks any more, given that they read PMs and filter out any mention of our name. :confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
gertrude said:
I have been there reading some of the interesting threads. I see a lot of people still posting over there, but some of the answers are less than helpful now. I never thought about PMing the new people to tell them to come over here, I will give that a try.
You just can't type the name of the new site. VS will edit it automatically into the name of THEIR site. I believe too much of that and the admin will get an alert and then you run the risk of having that account banned.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
smitty5150 said:
There are some decent resources that have yet to make it over here. Until they have been successfully relocated, I will visit the site as needed.
Agreed. Visit, consult, and move content that one owns. It just bothers me when other folks add value to the place we already disagree with the business model of.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
It just bothers me when other folks add value to the place we already disagree with the business model of.

Whereas it is their free will to post what they want where they want to, I do fully agree hat t is I disservice to this site and the members to keep that place afloat.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, I still skim over old threads/troll.

the roadie said:
You just can't type the name of the new site. VS will edit it automatically into the name of THEIR site. I believe too much of that and the admin will get an alert and then you run the risk of having that account banned.

I'll send you a PM on what works for me. I think VS has a spy over here.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Porkins said:
I think VS has a spy over here.
No doubt in my mind. I'm sure they created an account here as soon as they caught wind of this site.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
As with a locked memory card, I "read only" on the OS. Used it today for it's extensive knowledge base as GMTN is still a bit "virginized".

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I'm on Global ignore, but will look up info from time to time. They don't want to hear what we have/had to say, so fuck 'em (the owners not the members)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Short Bus said:
I'm on Global ignore, but will look up info from time to time. They don't want to hear what we have/had to say, so fuck 'em (the owners not the members)

:iagree: Same goes for me on all counts. Will still have to glance back over there for some odds and ends that I remembered seeing once upon a time.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I look-up info, but dont post. Sucks they wiped away some of the users posts that I could actually use. Screw VS.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I look-up info, but dont post. Sucks they wiped away some of the users posts that I could actually use. Screw VS.

:iagree:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I haven't logged in or even opened the site since the admin closed that big thread.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Not to be a buzz kill about everything... but wasn't this site created as a protest to what was going on over there and the way we (the enthusiats and supporting members) were treated?

So why are we still bringing up the OS in threads over here? You don't see any threads over there talking about us, be it they don't allow it, or the fact that any mention of this site is edited over there... so why are we still discussing this here on our great site?

Can we please move past all this... its gotten old already!

BuzzQ

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Not to be a buzz kill about everything... but wasn't this site created as a protest to what was going on over there and the way we (the enthusiats and supporting members) were treated?

So why are we still bringing up the OS in threads over here? You don't see any threads over there talking about us, be it they don't allow it, or the fact that any mention of this site is edited over there... so why are we still discussing this here on our great site?

Can we please move past all this... its gotten old already!

oddly enough you are a main reason i started this thread. i cant help but notice you tend to post a lot more over there than you do here. i look around for content there but i dont post or contribute but you have posted to many threads. why is it that you are so protective of the os? sorry to call you out but it has been urking me

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Really haven't been on it since I joined GMT replaced the bookmark on the toolbar with this site lol

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
BuzzQ said:
oddly enough you are a main reason i started this thread. i cant help but notice you tend to post a lot more over there than you do here. i look around for content there but i dont post or contribute but you have posted to many threads. why is it that you are so protective of the os? sorry to call you out but it has been urking me

No need for apologies, I'll answer... but I am not the only person on here that posts over there, so why I get called out, makes no sense to me... I post on tbssowners as well (since I have an SS), am I gonna get called out on that too?, because you forget, at one point, people baned that site too, and we couldn't even mention it...or how about the fact I post on a grand prix forum since my winter car is a grand prix? Am I going to get called out on that? I don't post here a lot (yet) because there aren't that many threads that haven't been answered already from others on here, or I just don't have any valueable input.. so why post the same answer, or post something I know nothing about?... I know I'll get a lot of backlash for saying this, but the OS didn't do anything to me.. I didn't lash out like other members on here did to get banned, nor did I support the other site by buying a supporting membership..so promises didnt effect me as I didn't allow them to be broken, plus I use firefox, so I didn't see any ads... my money went to the vendors (jeff, high voltage, pcmforless, jetttstream, ed, tblazed, etc...whom I never would've met if it wasn't for the OS).. there are people over there (who like us at one point) didn't know about their vehicles and are looking for answers and don't know the whole story.. so we should take it out on them by not helping them out? Its the internet and I have my choice of what forums I belong to... I've met great people and hopefully life long friends.. if I'm going to lose them over a stupid internet website, then none of them were my friends to begin with...I am in no way defending the OS.. and I realize what VS is about... so I apologize if this is rude, blunt, or offends anyone... if its this much of a problem, I'll jus become a lurker, or withdraw myself altogether..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not going to hold it against you... well, not to much, anyway :raspberry:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Boricua SS said:
No need for apologies, I'll answer... but I am not the only person on here that posts over there, so why I get called out, makes no sense to me... I post on tbssowners as well (since I have an SS), am I gonna get called out on that too?, because you forget, at one point, people baned that site too, and we couldn't even mention it...or how about the fact I post on a grand prix forum since my winter car is a grand prix? Am I going to get called out on that? I don't post here a lot (yet) because there aren't that many threads that haven't been answered already from others on here, or I just don't have any valueable input.. so why post the same answer, or post something I know nothing about?... I know I'll get a lot of backlash for saying this, but the OS didn't do anything to me.. I didn't lash out like other members on here did to get banned, nor did I support the other site by buying a supporting membership..so promises didnt effect me as I didn't allow them to be broken, plus I use firefox, so I didn't see any ads... my money went to the vendors (jeff, high voltage, pcmforless, jetttstream, ed, tblazed, etc...whom I never would've met if it wasn't for the OS).. there are people over there (who like us at one point) didn't know about their vehicles and are looking for answers and don't know the whole story.. so we should take it out on them by not helping them out? Its the internet and I have my choice of what forums I belong to... I've met great people and hopefully life long friends.. if I'm going to lose them over a stupid internet website, then none of them were my friends to begin with...I am in no way defending the OS.. and I realize what VS is about... so I apologize if this is rude, blunt, or offends anyone... if its this much of a problem, I'll jus become a lurker, or withdraw myself altogether..

I don't care if you are a member of every VS site, thats your right. I think the point was, and is, that we did NOT create this site in protest to how we were treated. It is NOT a protest. This site was created because we refuse to support VS in their efforts any longer. Good luck to them, so long. BUT.... if you truly support this site, and why it was created, then on principle you can no longer support the other site. What ever sites you choose to post on, you are, in one way or another, supporting.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Ive searched the OS for some info on control arms and such, and have noticed that there are barely any new posts at all. And the ones that are there are people that have no idea about gmtnation because they are new members over at the OS with 1 or 2 posts. I havent posted anything there in a few weeks, IIRC. I'd rather post over here where its active.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Boricua SS said:

First, we are not doing this to get back at VS, we are doing this because we feel that we can offer a much better environment for the community and ALL of its members. Instead of being driven by a big company whose main concern is profit, we are only trying to raise enough to keep the site in a self-sustaining state.

As for TBSSOwners, that was a problem between Tony and the previous site owners, it never had anything to do with the staff. While some staff members didn't get along with Tony, it was mainly because of the turbulence caused by the rift between Tony and the previous owners. Tony, his members, and any references to his site are more than welcome here.

Everyone knows they can make their own choices. Even though you have ad blocker installed, don't be fooled into thinking you aren't contributing to VS. The more you post over there, the more page-views and clicks they get. They are never going to completely stop making money on that site, that is for certain. The only reason to talk about this is to point out that it is very counterproductive to contribute content over there... on behalf of current and future members. For a long time to come, there will be more information available on the OS since it has been around since 2004. The problem continues to be that if members keep posting over there, that content benefits VS more than the members. Instead, resources could be growing here where everyone will benefit. We still have some big plans over here, we are just letting members identify the things that need the most attention, and when that slows down and we get our hosting obligations covered, we plan to move forward with more features... features that benefit the community, not big greedy company.

So, I think the message is that while you are certainly entitled to post where ever you would like, it would be more beneficial to the community to post helpful content where a majority of the members are around to further assist people that have only signed up there because of their Google presence. Sooner or later, we will be there, and people will have other obvious alternatives.

Unless something has changed, VS still blocks mention of our site, and we wouldn't want people to spam the OS like they did a few weeks ago, but spreading the word encouraged in a tasteful manner. If they continue to block future attempts to spread the word, it can only be assumed that VS, as most of us already know to be true, really doesn't care about the quality of the services offered to the community, but that they would rather enforce impromptu rules to ensure their revenue isn't affected.

I have heard from a few people that you are a not a bad person, and I don't think anyone is saying that you are... I just think members here want to see the better cause prevail.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I haven't posted there since their poor attempt to steal my article by having some dead account re-post it and then they claimed that it belonged to him. I do have plans to alter those pictures soon, so I think I may be added to the ignore list soon as well. :wootwoot:

Boricua SS, your a good man. I certainly understand where your coming from. You will always be a friend of mine!

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Regulator said:
Boricua SS, your a good man. I certainly understand where your coming from. You will always be a friend of mine!

:iagree: I too, visit the OS every now & then...

But the reason is somewhat sinister: it's to recruit people in the Toronto area who don't happen to know about GMTN as yet (I'm sure the forthcoming decals will help quite a bit) :Rumour: ... I won't offer up "solutions" to any questions asked, but will try to steer them here - to my new home... :coffee:

I can appreciate that there are some of you who may not agree with that - I don't expect this "double life" to last much longer as the number of newbs joining is constant, but the quality of the responses is going down faster than a $2 whore...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CdnGMan said:
... as the number of newbs joining is constant, but the quality of the responses is going down ...
It's just hilarious, and sad at the same time, to see <10 post noobs answering other <10 post noobs. Reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;lih0Z2IbIUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lih0Z2IbIUQ[/video]

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

I do that too If I can cuz pages are missing from threads and so on. They're ridiculous and stupid for losing such loyal members (Ex-Loyal lol), Went back there the other day to get a phone number for one of the members in my area.

That site is just bad news :smiley_kill:

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
I no longer make TrailVoy.com decals!

GMTNation decals will be for sale soon!!!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
High Voltage said:

GMTNation decals will be for sale soon!!!

I'll be placing my order once you ready Jeff! :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Jman and Ghoster.. a pm has been sent to you....

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Thnk you Matt for your support, and thank you Jimmy for the kind words...

What I meant about tony's site, was that people were arrogant a**holes when the site first rolled out, making it not very friendly or informative.. so that's why some of us stayed away at first.. I knew nothing about the way he was treated by VS on the OS... so I just wanted to clerify that... ok and protest was a strong word.. but all is exlained in your pm's Jman & Ghoster...I won't visit the other site, just to browse (and send gmtnation emails to hose who have emails in their pofiles) as everyone else does... so hopefully this clears everything up and we can get back to why this site was created and move past the OS...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm in the ignore or banned category because I called dickhead out on editing my PM's. I can't see any new posts and have since deleted the OS from my bookmarks.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
High Voltage said:
...and I have an unused "MW Chapter Ohio Rep" decal I'll give away to anyone who wants it. Heck, I might even pay someone to take it off my hands! :rotfl:

Numbnutz

Dec 11, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
...and I have an unused "MW Chapter Ohio Rep" decal I'll give away to anyone who wants it. Heck, I might even pay someone to take it off my hands! :rotfl:

You better be ready to pay a handsome reward :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online