So, I'm new from you know where and I need help

Big Al

Original poster
Member
Jul 14, 2012
9
Trailblazer with 4.2 with 75K on it. Got some bearing noise in there and a fan that is a bit loose. My research points to a clutch fan and I'd really like to know what the repair will cost. I've read that one guy got charged $700 for his. Sounds way too much. What other problem could it be? Also, my buddy asked me if the water pump was gear driven?

Thanks AL
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
Al, the pump is belt driven.

$700 sounds high, but I can't compare Canadian $, someone with MA experience may be able to provide a cost.
 

MAY03LT

Member
Nov 18, 2011
3,425
Delmarva
Big Al said:
Got some bearing noise in there and a fan that is a bit loose.....What other problem could it be?

Is the fan looseness coming from the water pump shaft?
With the belt removed, can you move the fan forward/backward?
 

Dshow

Member
Dec 7, 2011
68
I picked up the a fan clutch at Autozone for about $200 and the water pump is $46. (The reason I like Autozone is that they have it is stock and it has a limited lifetime warranty, so if it fails again, they will replace it.) It took me about 4 hours to replace because I've never done one before. Someone experience could probably do it in half that.
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
Dshow said:
I picked up the a fan clutch at Autozone for about $200 and the water pump is $46. (The reason I like Autozone is that they have it is stock and it has a limited lifetime warranty, so if it fails again, they will replace it.) It took me about 4 hours to replace because I've never done one before. Someone experience could probably do it in half that.

FYI: you can get a Dorman fan clutch part 622-001 from Advance Auto for $150 with coupon VISA at checkout. Just in case you change your mind.
 

Big Al

Original poster
Member
Jul 14, 2012
9
It's the water pump and out to be replaced tonight by my mechanic
 

anthonyl79

Member
Jul 15, 2012
127
Colorado
Big Al said:
It's the water pump and out to be replaced tonight by my mechanic

What a shame. My pump went out at about the same milage as well. It bad a horrible sound. The blades where hitting the shroud. I think the total job took me just under 2 hours.

You might think about having that clutch replaced. They are know for failure, if and when it does, you will have to pay the mechanic to pull the part off that he has off already. Just a thought.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,485
Posts
639,862
Members
18,722
Latest member
bigchadwell

Members Online