Snow plow on 2005 Envoy question

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
I was looking at putting a plow on my 05 Envoy the lite one that installs to a 2in trailer recieved on the front. I think the weight is about 280 lbs. Does anyone have this set up and how does it work in snow are they strong enough.Also did you have to do any work to the front springs like air bags. Thanks for any info.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
My understanding after reading threads that popped over a few years ago, this platform isn't equipped/built for using a plow. There is one TB I've seen around my area with a plow, and lets just say I'm not sure how it even does its job when the front end is damn near collapsed. I honestly don't think its a good idea, especially with how fragile the transfer case is.

If I had to hazard a guess, I assume "beefing" up the front suspension would help with the abuse. You would be better off buying an old 4x4 beater blazer, or pick up and turn that into a plow. Less money to make a setup with those.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Around here in the summer months I've seen rusty but, decent 4x4 beaters with plows sell for $2-3K . A new plow set-up can sell for more than that. I am a beater plow guy.

Reactions: Reprise

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
Around here in the summer months I've seen rusty but, decent 4x4 beaters with plows sell for $2-3K . A new plow set-up can sell for more than that. I am a beater plow guy.
Thanks for the replies I was hoping the front suspension would be able to take the weight I have seen a number of the older small gm and broncos with blades. I use my quad to plow now but have so much snow this year I have no place to put it as my driveway is around d 300ft a truck would be a lot better thanks

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Besides the suspension issues your front differential will receive most of the abuse. I have broken my Dana 44 a few times and it is much hardier than your set-up and much easier to fix. So your daily driver probably should not be your choice with a 300' driveway.

Tux05

Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
Northern ontario
Thanks again I have had plow trucks in the last and have bin lucky with diffs. This would not be my daily driver if I used it for plowing. I am going to start to look now as I am very good at leaving things to the last minute.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Nice! Do you do anything other than your own driveway (e.g.; commercial use) ? How has it held up? (assuming you've had it in place for awhile... )

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
There's always someone who does what the naysayers say can't/shouldn't be done. With the tiny front diff we've got it's not well suited for this application - that's pretty obvious. But it looks great!
Keep us informed how it goes...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
We used a snowplow on a S-10 and an S-10 Blazer for over a decade with the same lil front diff and had no issues with it. We have several rental properties including a decent sized lot for the 24 unit complex and did several drives for family as well. The trans and rear diff would worry me more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online